Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 AM

95 posts, read 235,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
You're taking it personal. He's talking about the "fence" between Texas and Mexico. You prob don't see nearly as many italians hopping that fence than Hispanics.

Correct, Brown doesn't mean they hopped a fence, but hopped a fence most likely means they're brown. I'm sure the border patrol has statistics on this to back it up.
I'm taking it personal because it is personal. Not all hispanics are Mexican illegal immigrants. If you had one of your kids experience racism of that form, you'd understand. The line has to be drawn.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Correct, Brown doesn't mean they hopped a fence, but hopped a fence most likely means they're brown. I'm sure the border patrol has statistics on this to back it up.
Being white doesn't mean you're a serial killer, but serial killers are mostly white. I'm sure the FBI has statistics to back this up.

Do you see the absurdity of generalizations now?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
Being white doesn't mean you're a serial killer, but serial killers are mostly white. I'm sure the FBI has statistics to back this up.

Do you see the absurdity of generalizations now?
Are you saying the white people are serial killers? (I know you're not.) But that's what you believe we said about Hispanics. Nobody said that all brown people hopped the fence to get here.

Watch an episode of "Border Wars" on Nat Geo. It's just a simple fact that a majority of the people are Hispanic. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.

I can't believe I'm defending Autoracer...

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Are you saying the white people are serial killers? (I know you're not.) But that's what you believe we said about Hispanics. Nobody said that all brown people hopped the fence to get here.
Of course I wasn't. What I'm saying is that generalizations are bad. There's a heck of a lot more legal people of hispanic background than there are illegal ones. (I'm not even going to get into the fact that they all get dumped into the hispanic, or even worse, "Mexican" category, that's a whole 'nother story. There's at least 21 Spanish-speaking countries in the world).

Illegal immigration is a serious issue that needs to be taken care of, but the fact that many people equate hispanic to illegal is not right. If you read up a couple of posts, it was incinuated that hispanics are a problem for Port Jeff. It's offensive to the hispanics that live here and aren't illegal immigrants, and it's just wrong.

Quote:
Watch an episode of "Border Wars" on Nat Geo. It's just a simple fact that a majority of the people are Hispanic. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.
I've seen it... and OMG. But I'm not an illegal Mexican or Central American immigrant. Neither is my husband or kids. Why should we all be grouped together just because of the skin color/last name?

We made the mistake of stopping at the 7-11 in Farmingville once for coffee on the way to the LIE (back when people were protesting like crazy), and someone actually yelled at my husband to go back to Mexico. Being that he has a good sense of humor, he responded politely in English "Will you be paying for my Cancun vacation? I'd love to go, I've never been to Mexico."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island