U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
Default Legal accessory apartment

Is the owner of a house with a legal accessory apartment supposed to live in the main part of home? Or can both areas be legally rented?
I am trying o figure out the difference with a legal 2 family and a legal accessory apartment. Are the taxes cheaper for one over the other?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM

7,589 posts, read 10,132,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynofRohan View Post
Is the owner of a house with a legal accessory apartment supposed to live in the main part of home? Or can both areas be legally rented?
I am trying o figure out the difference with a legal 2 family and a legal accessory apartment. Are the taxes cheaper for one over the other?
A house with an accessory apartment MUST be owner occupied.
A "legal 2" does NOT.
FYI, different Towns use the term "legal 2" differently. For example: In the Town of Huntington, a "legal 2" means two legal apartments which can be rented independently without the owner living in one. In the Town of Babylon, "legal 2" means "legal accessory apartment" vs. "legal 2 by CO", which does not need to be owner occupied

Learned that years ago when I was showing what I thought were great investment properties until I was ready to make an offer on a couple, did more in-depth research - only to find out the difference! Nothing like first hand experience to teach you quickly

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
Thank you o much. Cleared up my question.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,573 times
if there are 2 seperate apartments in the same house and both use the front door to gain access to their seperate apartment should that door remain locked at all times

Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,573 times
the one tenant always leaves the front door unlocked for their constant company to come and go as they please i live on the main floor and they live on the second floor so by leaving the door unlocked i have to worry about someone just walking in and breaking in to my apt and i have small children as well i have complained to the landlord and nothing works i have even locked the door numerous times after their company leaves only to have to listen to the banging of the front door all hours of the night and then listen to them curse upon them being let in by the other tenant, i have been here 12 years and i shouldnt have to live like this i need to find out about the door being locked so i can print it out leave them a copy in their mailbox and also post one one the door and give one to the landlord as well thank you any information will be greatly appreciated

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
I have a related accessory apartment question. I'm getting older, my kid has gone off to college and is unlikely to move back to LI when he's done school next year. As it happens, the apartment is coming empty Sept.1. I'm thinking about moving in to my (legal) accessory apartment and renting out the main part of the house. Is that legal under Huntington rules? I too am reluctant to ask the town for this info. Thanks if you know.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM

7,589 posts, read 10,132,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanya View Post
I have a related accessory apartment question. I'm getting older, my kid has gone off to college and is unlikely to move back to LI when he's done school next year. As it happens, the apartment is coming empty Sept.1. I'm thinking about moving in to my (legal) accessory apartment and renting out the main part of the house. Is that legal under Huntington rules? I too am reluctant to ask the town for this info. Thanks if you know.
Most likely not, as the permit is for the portion of the house that is inspected annually, but I have someone else who wants to do that and I will be calling the Town Monday or Tuesday and will report back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island