Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM

26 posts, read 64,816 times

Advertisements

IMO, I would rather be in Queens or Suffolk. I bought in Nassau and miss both Suffolk and Queens (have lived in both). Even though I consider Nassau very similar to Queens, it doesn't have the pros of Queens. I told my husband that so many areas of Queens have more trees than our neighborhood does, which is sad. Even in the dense area by Queens Boulevard in Forest hills; the apartment buildings are surrounded my trees. There are like 4 on my whole block.

Yet when I'm in Suffolk, I realize how much I miss being more spread out and trees being all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
Default the beauty of LI

I grew up on LI and never thought I would consider moving back there. I've lived in the SF Bay Area and now in Oregon. I've been very involved in alternative culture, the arts, and organic farming and permaculture. I couldn't live in the LI mall culture again.

I have missed the Northeast, though, and have been contemplating a move to Mass. or the Hudson River Valley. (In no small part to be closer to my aging parents). Lately, though, I've been reading about Community Supported Agriculture and organic farms on the North Fork and thinking there might be a burgeoning community there that I could be a part of. Drove out there last year and spoke with some folks at an organic farmstand who said that it's a small but growing community.

Although I couldn't wait to leave the shopping mall culture of my youth, I feel a deep bond with the land and the ocean in LI. My family spent the summers in Rocky Point and went fishing and sailing and to farmstands for food. I love the seasons there (don't have 'em in CA, and here in OR it's closer to the Northeast but RAINY all winter). The four seasons and the Sound and the Ocean, seagulls, clams, sailboats, snow in the winter, flowers in the spring, warm rain, beach fun, sailing, farmstands in the summer, blazing color in the fall. Underneath Robert Moses' wet dream is a beautiful island. There are a lot of cautions (the small point of making a living and the cost of living, it's kind of isolated out there,...) but the idea of helping to preserve and heal the land that I love is compelling...

So, given that there are cheaper places to live in a rural community and by the sea, probably no one would move to Long Island for that reason. But I would posit that one reason to live there is that it is a place of great beauty.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 AM

999 posts, read 2,356,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Besides beach, pizza, bagels and being in the shadow of NYC why should someone move to the Island?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?

Believe it or not this is a serious question that I'd really like to see answered.
So if you were going to sell someone from out of the area on why they should move to Island, what would you put before them?

Besides the beach you mean...

The best pizza places are in brooklyn along with the bagels. . . .

The entire state of NY is not business friendly, its why so many have left, are leaving and will be.

Your options suck, you will be ripped off on housing prices and you really get nothing for all the tax money you spend...

It's a great place to live with many things to do that involve breathing and eating.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Besides the beach you mean...

The best pizza places are in brooklyn along with the bagels. . . .

The entire state of NY is not business friendly, its why so many have left, are leaving and will be.

Your options suck, you will be ripped off on housing prices and you really get nothing for all the tax money you spend...

It's a great place to live with many things to do that involve breathing and eating.

If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Those who can't hack it move.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Those who can't hack it move.

If you can make what...... List the great of this island. . . .

It's not the pizza, that resides with 3 places in Brooklyn...the best pizza place on the island can't compare to those

It's not the bagels, again Brooklyn and Queens

Here you pay for everything you do not need anywhere else, (made up licenses to have propane tanks for your forklift, torches, oils, air compressors, additional taxes on oils and other items they reach into) which is a bs ploy for govt to have there hand in pockets you don't have and means your business needs to sow on more pockets for them to reach into...
On long island you pay more for power in business then ANYONE else, kinda scummy way to make money, hit the business harder to supplement all the govts bs handouts
In which at the end of the day you pay more for the pieces i make, while other companies make it less in other places because they aren't ripped off..

This is why businesses leave. . . Eventually it's just stupid to keep throwing away money to greedy hands that want it and do nothing for you to get it. . . .

It's equally as stupid to pay 5x more for housing and pay 3x or 9x more in taxes to get the same nothing for that added expense that you'll get somewhere else

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Sounds like you are having some difficult personal issues, sorry to hear that. The good of being on LI has been stated several times already in this thread. One thing is to say not the best of something which is subjective but, the quality of the food is hard to match out of state. Also where are your figures comparing to sounds pretty skewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
If you can make what...... List the great of this island. . . .

It's not the pizza, that resides with 3 places in Brooklyn...the best pizza place on the island can't compare to those

It's not the bagels, again Brooklyn and Queens

Here you pay for everything you do not need anywhere else, (made up licenses to have propane tanks for your forklift, torches, oils, air compressors, additional taxes on oils and other items they reach into) which is a bs ploy for govt to have there hand in pockets you don't have and means your business needs to sow on more pockets for them to reach into...
On long island you pay more for power in business then ANYONE else, kinda scummy way to make money, hit the business harder to supplement all the govts bs handouts
In which at the end of the day you pay more for the pieces i make, while other companies make it less in other places because they aren't ripped off..

This is why businesses leave. . . Eventually it's just stupid to keep throwing away money to greedy hands that want it and do nothing for you to get it. . . .

It's equally as stupid to pay 5x more for housing and pay 3x or 9x more in taxes to get the same nothing for that added expense that you'll get somewhere else

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

What are you talking about personal issues....When govt wants a piece of everything and just come up with additional areas to add a tax how in the world do you say
Quote:
Sounds like you are having some difficult personal issues
. I have watched hundreds of my friends leave with their business for those reasons. .. . I stayed while they left, and they are all correct we pay more and are charged more from utilities to taxes and bs licenses that they don't have . . .they have less bills, less overhead, less cost, more employees, larger shops no special electric costs or gas costs, no hidden taxes, no one adding taxes to the propane because its for business use... Are you insane you have no clue how many times the govt is in your pocket and doing it ilegally

This thread is asking in REALITY... How should i LIE to people to HOOK them to move here....

You just don't want to admit the truth.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,398 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are having some difficult personal issues, sorry to hear that. The good of being on LI has been stated several times already in this thread. One thing is to say not the best of something which is subjective but, the quality of the food is hard to match out of state. Also where are your figures comparing to sounds pretty skewed.
I'm a bit sick of this silly argument that LI has particularly good food. It's pizza, bagels, italian and diners...period. Have to go to Queens for decent Asian. Austin at a fraction of the size was much better represented by a multitude of exotic food sources from hipster to slacker. I read a lot more on these threads about the thrill and excitement of the new Checkers or Sonic than anything else. Bobby Flay knows to bring burgers, not an actual restaurant.

I'm not even knocking LI. I just think that arguing it is a mecca for good food is a major league laugh riot.

Beaches, yes. Food, not so much.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I'm a bit sick of this silly argument that LI has particularly good food. It's pizza, bagels, italian and diners...period. Have to go to Queens for decent Asian. Austin at a fraction of the size was much better represented by a multitude of exotic food sources from hipster to slacker. I read a lot more on these threads about the thrill and excitement of the new Checkers or Sonic than anything else. Bobby Flay knows to bring burgers, not an actual restaurant.

I'm not even knocking LI. I just think that arguing it is a mecca for good food is a major league laugh riot.

Beaches, yes. Food, not so much.
When talking pizza and bagels my area alone has 10 of each I can easily be happy with. There must be 40 of each in a 3mile radius. When talking about quality cuisine then there are definately some great restaurants around although expensive and if you live in Nassau you can go to top of the line in 30-40 minutes. Not to mention tons of top notch delis.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,398 times
Quote:
There must be 40 of each in a 3mile radius.
...and that's a good thing?!?!

Quote:
Not to mention tons of top notch delis.
They have Boars Head on a roll pretty much all over the country. Hardly makes for great delis. More like beer stores that sell sandwiches and lottery tickets.

There ARE a lot of great gourmet Italian salumerias. I brag about that often and have sent care packages to expat friends. Of course NY had to over-regulate and made it illegal for them to cure salami and sausage in the store. Now they have to get an off-site location or do it in Jersey and truck it in. The days of home made sausage curing in the store (not pre-packaged Parma) are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island