Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,566 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to move out of LI and maybe to VA or NC. My question is, how do I go about by finding a job out of state when I'm currently on Long Island? Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM

188 posts, read 414,996 times
Just went through this process and it will not be easy.

I tried using recruiters in the area I was looking and most did not take me seriously when I said I wanted to relocate for work when I was unemployed. They told me to contact them once I got into town - how was I going to move without a job?

Anyway, I used several job searching websites but found Indeed.com to be the best for listing jobs in the area I wanted to move to. I then went to the company website and applied directly and also sent a hard copy resume and cover letter via snail mail. In the cover letter, I explained that I planned on relocating to the area and was willing to move at my own expense.

Lastly, I was only able to land two interviews over the course of 18 months. Both companies really questioned me about making the move, how I was going to live during the transition - they wanted to know the level of my commitment.

Fortunately, I had visited the area quite a few times and was able to explain to them where I wanted to live and why. Also had to persuade them about being able to sell my own home and only getting back to see family on weekends until the move was complete.

The feedback I did get was that if it comes down to you and one local candidate, you are out. The employer is not likely to give you a shot unless you are the best match. You also have to be willing to eat the moving expenses which can be costly. In this economy, they don't want to pay for anything.

The bottom line is this, you need to stay positive and keep at it. Believe in yourself and your ability. Sell them on the idea and why you are the one for the job and that it really doesn't matter if you are from a distant place. Keep the faith, prayer really helped me and I am far from being a religious person.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Best of luck!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,113,922 times
Teach, do you have any contacts in the areas that you're looking at? Old college buddies or friends that can keep you tuned into possible job openings?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,294,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach1981 View Post
I'm currently looking to move out of LI and maybe to VA or NC. My question is, how do I go about by finding a job out of state when I'm currently on Long Island? Any advice will be appreciated.
lol, I have been to NC and it sucks.

To each his own, I guess.

I would imagine you would need to secure or borrow an out of state address before you apply. I mean... if you were a NY company and you got an applicant from FL or something with an FL address, how serious would you take that candidate?

I think natives probably have an advantage over an out-of-stater but that certainly doesn't mean it can't be done.

I hope you like the bible... alot. The influence is very strong down south. When I was there I found it to be too much, too in your face. I just wanted to go to the food store without some elderly woman preaching about god for an hour.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
It's going to be very tough. That's not a recent thing either - I have a friend who relocated to VA well over 10 years ago, she couldn't get a job till she actually picked up and moved there (she stayed with family till she got a job). But she wanted a very specific job and had to re-locate to get it, anyway.

As far as teaching jobs in NC, you're going to have a very hard time in Wake County, at least as a public school teacher. There were layoffs last year and those people will get first dibs on any opening. You won't even get called with an out-of-state address. My sister looked for a teaching job for almost a year before moving. Once she closed on her house here and had a local address, she had a job within a month.

It can actually be easier to get a teaching job here once the school year starts, so don't focus on only applying in the spring and summer. There are lots of private options down here too, so look into that.

Although you may not be looking for money from an employer to re-locate, look at it from their perspective....there is a huge pool of local applicants that probably have the option of starting within 2 weeks in most cases. So why even look at someone with an out of state address? Maybe you don't want to move without a job - good thinking. Do you have a friend in the area who can let you use their address and phone number?

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 AM

327 posts, read 1,060,653 times
Find a Mail Boxes Etc store near where ever you want to move and they can set you up with a real mailing address and mailbox. Hopefully your future employer doesn't google the address.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 AM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Find a Mail Boxes Etc store near where ever you want to move and they can set you up with a real mailing address and mailbox. Hopefully your future employer doesn't google the address.
I think those are fairly obvious since you have to have a box # in the address. Better than nothing I suppose.

My DH has his mail forwarded to one of those HQ places which is a real address and gives him access to meeting rooms when he needs them but that's maybe more pricey than it's worth in this situation.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 11,566 times
Thanks all for responsing. All valid stuff to think about and consider.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM

20,862 posts, read 28,209,689 times
what about online using career builder or monster.com. If you have a reusme post them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: