U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,288 posts, read 25,993,523 times
Reputation: 6920

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
HA!! Probably the amount they save on gas is worth it to them.
Right! We use it to our advantage. Call in the dinner order while we're still driving up the highway. Get off exit, pick up food, head to house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,371,033 times
Reputation: 1346
A lot of good posts here and too much to quote. I guess I meant more employer provided healthcare benefits...cheaper to the end user/employee. And then of course you have all the county employees and teachers paying very little or nothing towards it.

As far as care being worse up here.. I highly doubt that. Just ask Prince Alwaleed (well, NYC, but still better here) who came here for surgery and all the snow-birds/half backs that fly back up for their healthcare and dentistry needs.

Twingles, do you mean they tax groceries or all food? They tax delivered food here too. I could see why groceries and delivered food would be cheaper here though...a lot more competition. Add Cable/Internet.. luckily no monopoly on LI so that's better service and cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
14,093 posts, read 21,214,264 times
Reputation: 10042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
A lot of good posts here and too much to quote. I guess I meant more employer provided healthcare benefits...cheaper to the end user/employee. And then of course you have all the county employees and teachers paying very little or nothing towards it.

As far as care being worse up here.. I highly doubt that. Just ask Prince Alwaleed (well, NYC, but still better here) who came here for surgery and all the snow-birds/half backs that fly back up for their healthcare and dentistry needs.

Twingles, do you mean they tax groceries or all food? They tax delivered food here too. I could see why groceries and delivered food would be cheaper here though...a lot more competition. Add Cable/Internet.. luckily no monopoly on LI so that's better service and cheaper.
No, all food is taxed. I think it's 2%. So you go to the grocery and get milk, eggs and bread and it's taxes. On the one hand, I don't think basic staples should be taxed. On the other, why should homeowners be the only one paying tax.
So, I think the tax on every food item leads to restaurant foods being more expensive.

As far as healthcare, I can't say I have any issues with it down here but we are close to both Duke and UNC so obviously it's top notch and as far as I'm concerned miles ahead of anything I ever experienced on Long Island. But, that is probably unique to only a few areas of the country that are near big cities or universities that have top of the line medical schools attached.If people are returning to their former cities for healthcare, that's just sheer laziness on their part, and I if were a senior I would never re-locate somewhere without good healthcare nearby anyway.

I have to think of some other things that you get used to in NY that .... maybe they aren't cheaper here, but for what you get you'd just as soon pay the NY rates. For instance, as crazy as this sounds, DH cannot find a car wash that he likes. In NY you can probably get a good wash for $7. Barbershops too - no old Italian barbers here....we need some imports

Last edited by twingles; 01-22-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
 
418 posts, read 860,942 times
Reputation: 206
It's frustrating that I could not think of anything to add - only water came to mind .

You did not start this thread to prove ClarkStreetKid's point, by any chance, right?

It's adorable, how since the new year, instead of the local rivalries, you and Crooks have formed united cheerleading squad for LI!
Ah, but there are so many cynics of us around...

A CNN calculator on cost of living (COL) says that if you decide to relocate from Nassau to twingles' area (Durham), you will pay:
20% less for groceries
58% less for housing!!!!!
32% less for utilities
7% less for transportation
9% less for healthcare
...

For me personally, the research triangle is not the most exciting place, but no question, it has much lower COL.

Going more global, considering COL around the world, NYC makes the top 50 (#32 out of 420 cities worldwide). We, on LI, experience the side-effects of that. The other US cities (only cities were considered) with high COL: Chicago, LA, DC.
The lowest COL cities in the US (part of this study): Winston-Salem, NC and Portland, OR.

Source: Cost of Living survey 2011 - City rankings

Same group did also Quality of Living study (QOL). The top was dominated by European cities Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
The highest ranking US city: Honolulu, HI (#29).
NYC was #47.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,011 posts, read 10,168,608 times
Reputation: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You pay more and get less for just about everything.
You say that like there's no reason for the 3 million people to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,096,981 times
Reputation: 15184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
As far as care being worse up here.. I highly doubt that. Just ask Prince Alwaleed (well, NYC, but still better here) who came here for surgery and all the snow-birds/half backs that fly back up for their healthcare and dentistry needs.
What I said, which is not what you implied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
And not for nothing, I don't think the care here is any better. In some cases, I've found it to be worse.
Also, NYC is not Long Island. And who cares where some Saudi prince gets his care? Most of us rely on insurance or pay out of pocket and don't have millions of dollars to jet around trying to find a doctor, much less have the money to endow an institute and have it named after us.

Let us know if he gets treated at Brookhaven Memorial, though. That would be one of those "some cases" to which I refer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
You say that like there's no reason for the 3 million people to be here.
That depends on whether money is all one is concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
 
5,036 posts, read 3,738,809 times
Reputation: 5089
Mexicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,371,033 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, all food is taxed. I think it's 2%. So you go to the grocery and get milk, eggs and bread and it's taxes. On the one hand, I don't think basic staples should be taxed. On the other, why should homeowners be the only one paying tax.
So, I think the tax on every food item leads to restaurant foods being more expensive.

As far as healthcare, I can't say I have any issues with it down here but we are close to both Duke and UNC so obviously it's top notch and as far as I'm concerned miles ahead of anything I ever experienced on Long Island. But, that is probably unique to only a few areas of the country that are near big cities or universities that have top of the line medical schools attached.

I have to think of some other things that you get used to in NY that .... maybe they aren't cheaper here, but for what you get you'd just as soon pay the NY rates. For instance, as crazy as this sounds, DH cannot find a car wash that he likes. In NY you can probably get a good wash for $7. Barbershops too - no old Italian barbers here....we need some imports
Ah, you gotta attract the Russians over for some good barbers. I don't think groceries should be taxed at all. States should encourage people to cook at home. I see your point though on spreading the tax liability around, and it is a valid one, albeit regressive taxation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
It's frustrating that I could not think of anything to add - only water came to mind .

You did not start this thread to prove ClarkStreetKid's point, by any chance, right?

It's adorable, how since the new year, instead of the local rivalries, you and Crooks have formed united cheerleading squad for LI!
Ah, but there are so many cynics of us around...

A CNN calculator on cost of living (COL) says that if you decide to relocate from Nassau to twingles' area (Durham), you will pay:
20% less for groceries
58% less for housing!!!!!
32% less for utilities
7% less for transportation
9% less for healthcare
...
Not really, I've thought about making a thread on this. Although the recent TarRaid inspired me to post it. When it comes down to it, RP and Massapequa will stand shoulder-to-shoulder to deflect the flinging tarpoo.

-Related to groceries, I would disagree on that; especially considering the tax many states have on all food. I wouldn't use a calculator to get this info.

-Housing is definitely cheaper, but back out the Gold Coast and Hamptons and I think you'll find it's not as big a difference as you think (aside from the taxes of course). Although not factoring in the big L,L,L ... and when it comes down to it QOL trumps COL.

-Utilities sans water- No question this is cheaper almost anywhere outside of NY. Except maybe places like Alaska where oil is something like $9 a gallon in some parts.
-Transportation depends how you get to work. But I would say we have much better public/mass transportation overall here. Also, does this include having bus service provided by your school? It's really probably a negligible difference in transportation costs.
-Healthcare I'm going to have to disagree on, based on employer vs employer provided care.

I'm not really trying to get NYC involved, but obviously COL is much higher there than it is almost anywhere.

As far as the local COL compared to the South, it's really not that much of a difference when you consider the higher paying jobs here.

Also look at my post on foreclosures in the South. Compared to NY, they are much higher in NC and almost everywhere outside of LI/NY. Why would that be if the COL is so much lower there??
And as mentioned, housing may be skewed higher because LI is unique with the Gold Coast and Hamptons.

Housing units received a foreclosure filing in December 2011, according to realtytrac:

USA average- 1 in 634
Nassau County - 1 in every 2,353
Suffolk County- 1 in every 1,606
New York- 1 in every 4,427

Virginia- 1 in every 1,193
Chesterfield County, VA- 1 in every 863
Midlothian, VA - 1 in every 889
North Carolina- 1 in every 1,557
Union County, NC - 1 in every 705

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-22-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
14,093 posts, read 21,214,264 times
Reputation: 10042
The biggest differences in COL down here are housing costs and I'm sorry but you can get a nice house for $200K with all the amenities nearby, safe area and good schools - that is just not happening on LI unless it needs $150K in upgrades anyway.

Taxes are the big killer, we all know that. Aside from the ridiculous amounts that Long Islanders are paying, there is no rhyme or reason across the board. I think our tax rate is .8% or thereabouts - period. No wondering why I'm paying $5,000 more than someone with a bigger house one town over, or why with a 3% budget increase the taxes actually went up 10%. Re-assessments are every 8 years. I think people would be a lot more amenable to the tax situation on LI if they could make heads or tails of the system - maybe??? All I know is I lived in GC and "only" paid $12K a year in taxes and my kids were getting the same education as the kids whose parents are paying $25-30K. The whole system seems so unfair.

Don't see much difference in grocery costs. Certainly not 20%, especially not over the last few years.

Utilities are much cheaper, car insurance, gas as well.

Cable - probably the same.

I don't buy the whole thing about the salaries either. I think the difference is negligible most of the time. I don't know too many people living my area who are making $9 an hour either.

Public transportation is lacking here and everyone thinks their commute is too long. 20 minutes makes people pull their hair out here!

BTW, I do not live in Durham Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have always said that I think a lot of people leave NY thinking it will solve every problem in their lives, financial or otherwise and that's just not the case. If you are irresponsible with your money in NY and aren't willing to change, your situation won't change. It's not like there's magical portal at the Outerbridge Crossing that once you pass thru it's all Nirvana. In many ways it's just same ***** different day. To us it was more than monetary...I think for like minded people, we are the ones who end up happy. For other expecting all their problems, whatever they are, to be shed and left behind, they end up unhappy and probably will be unhappy anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,096,981 times
Reputation: 15184
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't buy the whole thing about the salaries either. I think the difference is negligible most of the time. I don't know too many people living my area who are making $9 an hour either.
The salaries are not much different. City salaries are one thing. Long Island salaries are no different from salaries an hour away from other urban areas. However, the COL is higher on Long Island than it is in other suburban areas of other cities.

The catch is that you may make 10K more in Manhattan for the same job on LI, but if your commute eats $5k of that and you have to travel for two hours in each direction, is it really worth it? Some feel it is. Others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top