U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 AM

2,738 posts, read 3,603,251 times

Advertisements

One thing that is a lot cheaper on Long Island is manual labor. I nearly fell over when I had a guy come and quote me to paint the house. And our house cleaning service was much cheaper on Long Island.

The whole school discussion is silly. I posted SAT scores awhile back that should put the debate to rest. Here they are again -

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools East Chapel Hill High 619 599 1,218
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Chapel Hill High 593 572 1,165
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Carbaro High School 592 591 1,183
Wake County Schools Apex High 576 538 1,114
Wake County Schools Green Hope High (Cary) 600 563 1,163
Wake County Schools William G Enloe High 594 587 1,181
Wake County Schools Cary High 559 535 1,094

Jericho Senior High School 568 630 1,198
Garden City High School 555 572 1,127
Great Neck North High School 576 620 1,196
Syosset Senior High School 557 598 1,155
Massapequa High School 501 513 1,014
Manhasset Secondary School 575 607 1,182
Cold Spring Harbor High School 580 599 1,179

I would say that good schools are far more accessible in North Carolina. Anybody can afford to live in Apex or Cary. The same can't be said for Garden City, CSH, etc.

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 01-23-2012 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 AM

38,691 posts, read 82,786,882 times
Hookers.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM

2,630 posts, read 3,789,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sorry Peques, fixed that. Still in my neighborhood.
4914 Amberwell Pl, Glen Allen, VA 23059 MLS# 1128393 - Zillow

10969 Holman Ridge Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23059 MLS# 1131255 - Zillow

5604 Olde Covington Ct, Glen Allen, VA 23059 MLS# 1125671 - Zillow

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=7096

Uh, Glen Allen just opened and combines both affluent and some poorer areas. We'll see how they do in a few years. Nice facility though.

Try these. By the way, are Long Island schools this open about their records?
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=3154

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=1124

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=1163

Godwin High School - Richmond, Virginia - VA - School overview

Deep Run High School - Glen Allen, Virginia - VA - School overview

Of course they do, everyone knows that each and every school on Long Island is above average. Seriously, you should visit more places away from the Island.
Clark, where do people generally work in that region? Isn't that too far to commute to the DC area? As for Richmond, I've been there and it's kind of nasty IMHO and I'm no defender of LI (as many here know). Just wonder if those homes are more suited to people selling at a profit here or retiring with a pension. Just curious about the economy/job growth there?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just curious: what town on LI would you say it would be similar to?
I've always thought Cary was most similar to the Town of Smithtown (taking in Commack, Ft Salonga, etc). They are comparable in both population and size (area). Of course, Cary does not have anything that looks like Jericho Tpke! But then Cary does not have a beach so maybe it is a wash!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM

3,980 posts, read 6,734,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Clark, where do people generally work in that region? Isn't that too far to commute to the DC area? As for Richmond, I've been there and it's kind of nasty IMHO and I'm no defender of LI (as many here know). Just wonder if those homes are more suited to people selling at a profit here or retiring with a pension. Just curious about the economy/job growth there?
I don't want to turn this into a Richmond sales pitch so I'll try to keep it brief.
Depends on what part of Richmond you go to. The city itself has some incredibly nice areas and some other areas that are horrid. These days there are more nice areas than bad.
Outside of the city is where most now live with Chesterfield, the Western end of Henrico, along with parts of Goochland and Hanover counties being the most popular. Mostly working folks. CapOne has their operations center here, there is the state capital, the Martin Agency (most of the Geico, CapOne, Discover, WalMart ads are done by them) to name but a few. PM me and I'll give you a better run down.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,880,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

I agree with the lobster post by the way

I live like 15 mins to the south of Clark St. and the economy/job growth is doing just fine. Both areas are doing well. Compare your town to mine

Moving.com: Compare Two Cities

My town is named one of the 10 Perfect suburbs for a reason
News Headlines

Some good info there...

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Here is the scoop on salaries:

If you work in Manhattan, you probably are making more than you would in NC. If you are a cop or a teacher, you will make A LOT more on LI.

But if you are a middle manager at Arrow or CA or ADP or one of LI's other big employers then you are making the same (in some cases less) than a middle manager at IBM or SAS or GlaxoSmithKlein.

If you are a professor at StonyBrook or Hofstra you are probably making about the same as a professor at Duke or UNC.

If you work from home, then you are making the same in NC as you make in LI!

So, yes, the average salary on LI is higher but you have to look at each individual industry and profession to see how it would effect you.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 AM

16,285 posts, read 25,936,613 times
Does anyone get to attend the schools in NC you've listed, or does a family have to buy a house in an area zoned for a particular school? My sister is in Florida and paid a premium to live in an area zoned for the better county HS. Is it the same there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
One thing that is a lot cheaper on Long Island is manual labor. I nearly fell over when I had a guy come and quote me to paint the house. And our house cleaning service was much cheaper on Long Island.

The whole school discussion is silly. I posted SAT scores awhile back that should put the debate to rest. Here they are again -

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools East Chapel Hill High 619 599 1,218
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Chapel Hill High 593 572 1,165
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Carbaro High School 592 591 1,183
Wake County Schools Apex High 576 538 1,114
Wake County Schools Green Hope High (Cary) 600 563 1,163
Wake County Schools William G Enloe High 594 587 1,181
Wake County Schools Cary High 559 535 1,094

Jericho Senior High School 568 630 1,198
Garden City High School 555 572 1,127
Great Neck North High School 576 620 1,196
Syosset Senior High School 557 598 1,155
Massapequa High School 501 513 1,014
Manhasset Secondary School 575 607 1,182
Cold Spring Harbor High School 580 599 1,179

I would say that good schools are far more accessible in North Carolina. Anybody can afford to live in Apex or Cary. The same can't be said for Garden City, CSH, etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM

14,062 posts, read 21,139,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Do you mean Garden City or Huntington? If you mean GC, I don't believe that for a second. No offense.
That houses you guys listed are NOT new construction!
Youre listing houses 7 to 12 years old. I was specifically asking about new, like the one I posted. And not for nuthin', but I looked at the schools in both those districts. While it's tough to compare NY to VA/NC, they don't look all that great according to the report cards. And this is by NC / VA standards .
The whole year-round schooling must be a bummer, too. Do you have pre-K? Full day K? It seems like a crap shoot...what's with the "choosing" new schools annual program I saw? How is bus service there? How far are your kids bused every day?

Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com
Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ser...11&pDataType=1

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=7096

Especially for Special Ed kids. You might as well put a bullet in your head if your disabled in one of those schools. You have no chance. Everything else looks mediocre compared to LI, sorry.

BigMike, let's a see link to this $270k home like the Mass Park one.
Sorry - there is new construction in that 'hood....I'll have to see if I can find some. I honestly don't pay that much attention to the housing prices here - I'm not planning on moving any time soon! I don't spend that much time looking at the real estate around here.

As far as my experiences with the schools - I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, I really don't care what you believe. My experience with the teachers down here is far and away above anything I experienced in GC. Any concerns I expressed about my kids in GC were brushed off with "don't worry about it!" My son was passed thru 3rd grade with a teacher that did NOTHING all year and he learned ZERO. I have twins so I know what the curriculum is, and if one teacher is dropping the ball I KNOW IT.
This teacher gets tons of complaints every year and the only kids that get her are kids that don't have older sibs that have had her (that's the only way you can request to avoid a teacher in GC). She didn't even stay for the whole open school night in Septemher and didn't show up at all for open house in May. Is she typical? No, but passing kids from one grade to the next there is totally par for the course. All the kids are going to private 4 year colleges anyway, so what's the diff, right? And she only makes $90K a year in her early 40s, so I guess that makes her a bargain.

The curriculum is the same here as NY - same books, etc. My boys are still friends with a kid in NY and we seem them whenever we visit. I've SEEN THE WORK HE'S DOING (courtesy of his very nice mom). Because, yes, I'm curious. My sister was a teacher in NY and is a teacher down here. There's no difference. I'm not really sure what exactly you think goes on outside NY, but I probably thought the same things 5 years ago. You almost have to tell yourself those things. I get it. BTW our HS had 5 Merit Finalists, which I believe is the same amount GCHS did. My sister's kids' HS had 8. And every time someone posts something about SAT scores etc you say "I don't believe it". I mean, you have seriously brainwashed yourself on LI schools but like I said I guess you have to and I've BTDT so I get it. I participate in a parenting forum and just about 80% of the people who participate believe that their child's school is "one of the best in the country" so maybe it's not ALWAYS a LI thing after all.

I never had a teacher sit one-on-one with my kids in NY to help them "get" something, yet all the teachers we've had down here have done that. Don't believe me? Wow, I must have some reputation as a storyteller on these boards.

We have full day kindy here. I don't know what people do for Pre-K...we are past that.

We live 1.5 miles from school and have a bus. I believe the walk-in limit is .5 miles.

My kids go to a traditional calendar school so I can't speak to year round. We are zoned for traditional but you can choose year round. I have a decent amount of neighbors that do the year round - it just works better for them. People have a choice and they choose what they want. My sister teaches in a year round school and loves it. She gets 3 weeks off in October, April, and July, and 5 weeks at Christmas time. I wouldn't have chosen it because I knew we wouldn't be here in time for the start of the track that we would've been assigned to, and I did not want my kids starting school late. I also wanted them going to school with the majority of kids in the neighborhood so they could make friends easier.

The school choice thing doesn't really affect me - I purchased in a stable neighborhood that has never been re-assigned in 16 years and won't be re-assigned, ever, based on the new plan (which over 90% of the parents in Wake County are happy with). The only people who aren't happy are people who chose poorly when they bought, and the NAACP. By the way, when they asked people to go online to make preliminary choices when they "test drove" the plan, the school district set up computer banks in the areas the NAACP is interested in. Exactly one person showed up to use them.

I see that despite me trying to keep a civil tone, and just answer the questions posed in the original thread, this has turned into "the usual" so I guess I will just withdraw now. Certainly don't miss this attitude, that's for sure.

Last edited by twingles; 01-23-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
How much would a house like this [~3,000 sq foot, brand new CH Colonial]
Massapequa Park, NY 11762 | MLS# 2458256 cost in NC or VA?

The build cost is higher, but not by that much. You're really paying the premium for the land. I have a hard time believing that you can get that for $200k or anywhere less than $400k (maybe even $500k). What is the land worth, $0? I wouldn't trust the builder if that were the case ($200k).
You are actually onto something here. The big difference in house prices is in the cost of the land. Here is an example (with greatly simplified numbers to help illustrate the point):

Let's say the cost of a vacant lot on LI is $200,000 and a comparable lot in NC is $20,000. You put a $200,000 home on each of them and the result is a $400,000 home on LI, and $220,000 home in NC. This is why you hear claims such as "houses cost half as much in NC!". In some cases, it is true.

However, put a $600,000 home on each lot and you get an $800,000 home on LI, compared to a $620,000 home in NC.

NC is not the bargain it used to be. The days of selling on LI and buying a mansion in NC are over (if they ever really existed). Sought after areas in NC such as Chapel Hill, Nth Raleigh and Cary are gradually approaching the cost of housing on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island