U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,539,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
#1 is not a mind trick. Let's say you have 2 autos valued at $40k combined and a $60k boat; That's $100k of taxable property. @ say .75/$100, you're looking at an extra $750 a year in taxes. That's a LOT more than registering your car once every 2 years for $140. Does my math look correct?

Also, I know NY is not very business friendly, but don't you pay property tax on any business equipment you own in VA/NC? [I'm kinda surprised Yzette didn't add this to the thread as I have seen her mention this in the past]

#2 is not exactly a wash. Most people here are paying a lot less for their health insurance than other states. I guess that's at least one advantage the generous public sector benefits yield to private sector workers here.. we get great health benefits (relative to NC/VA) that is often overlooked and could mean thousands in extra COL in the South.

#3 is obvious

#4 is an extra cost for you that is already built into our Town + County tax bill. We get all those amenities, too. Town + County pools, parks, beaches, museums, plowing... That's a significant extra cost (Tax) that whittles away the COL advantage.

#5 - I'm very familiar with many of the School Districts here and there are many more good districts than poor ones. Believe it or not, Amityville is improving. I wouldn't recommend it, but Grad rate and test scores are likely in-line with the average school in the South. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Regardless, at least 80% of the schools here are what I consider above average/excellent (vs the USA). Maybe even higher than 80% in Nassau.

More importantly, most districts are very convenient for parents and kids (ie-close by/walkable, busing available, set in stone district boundaries, more geared toward the community the schools are in)... not crapshoot county-wide systems like we see in the South.
#1 – Check Mikey’s response. I have to check, but so far I think I’ve paid less than what I did in NYS for a 10 year old car and 9 year old pick up. Since depreciation is used here vs. vehicle weight, it trends downward.

#2 – My private employer provided insurance plan is about the same overall cost as it was in NY (employer paid portion + employee contribution). Not sure where you see most people in NY pay less for health insurance, especially with the higher overhead expenses health care providers have to pay for in NY.

#3 Water is more expensive here, no question. But electricity is about half the cost. I use more electricity than water though, so there is an overall savings.

#4 Although most LI parks don’t charge admission, but most museums and town pools do in addition to using tax payer funding. Town and state beaches don’t charge admission either, but they do charge a parking fee unless you can catch a bus, bike or walk there.

#5 You can make a case for Amityville, but I know a few folks there, and those that can afford it send their kids to St. Martin’s and private school after that. It’s not a county wide crapshoot as to where you go “in the south” (broad bush stroke there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM

128 posts, read 195,916 times
Talk to transplants with kids.....and they will tell you schools outside of long island are 2 to 3 years behind LI

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM

3,980 posts, read 6,638,618 times
Please show where you get that number from. Usually we share our sources when making a statement like that.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 3,486,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Talk to transplants with kids.....and they will tell you schools outside of long island are 2 to 3 years behind LI
There is an easy fix for that - we all just send our kids to school at age 2.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,539,974 times
Quote:
Think you used a big enough paint brush there Butch?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM

16,142 posts, read 25,471,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Please show where you get that number from. Usually we share our sources when making a statement like that.
I only know of one person who left for Phoenix and a year later, upon return, had to be left back a year here in order to make up for the shortcomings of the education he received in Phoenix. Does it mean their schools are shabby? I don't know. They could approach curriculum differently, perhaps?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM

3,131 posts, read 3,820,217 times
Quote:

I don't know who the bigger idiot is....The person telling you this? or you for typing this obvious misinformation in a public forum ***

*** BTW it's at least 5 years

Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM

3,980 posts, read 6,638,618 times
And only if it's a smart tarnation kid.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM

418 posts, read 847,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
AMEN! I have to say I've been fortunate with the people I've dealt with in Springfield. I had documents on an older Jeep which were legit, but had been FUBAR'd by the person who sold the vehicle to the entity I bought it from. The man behind the counter waved his hand, turned his head, and said, "I never saw those," and proceeded to process the registration. Could you imagine the ringer I would be put through at a NYS DMV? LOL
I was recently cleaning my desk, and found tucked away an official apology letter I got from the District Director of the DMV in NY about 10 years ago.

It was a simple registration transfer from another state. And, I think, it was my last visit to the Port Jeff Station office (next to that Colliseo pizza).
I know DMV is not a friendly place, to put it mildly, but I had the "pleasure" to interact with this real nutcase of a woman. Never ever have I been treated with such disrespect and rudeness for no reason. She even used the F-word. And I am not a confrontational person, nor was there any reason for such behavior. She also was chewing gum while scolding me...

Got her name. Wrote a detailed letter to the central administration.
The apology letter stated that she was reprimanded. I really hope she was fired, actually. There are normal people looking for a job...

Now, I simply drive to Hauppague - better experience.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM

16,417 posts, read 25,950,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
I was recently cleaning my desk, and found tucked away an official apology letter I got from the District Director of the DMV in NY about 10 years ago.

It was a simple registration transfer from another state. And, I think, it was my last visit to the Port Jeff Station office (next to that Colliseo pizza).
I know DMV is not a friendly place, to put it mildly, but I had the "pleasure" to interact with this real nutcase of a woman. Never ever have I been treated with such disrespect and rudeness for no reason. She even used the F-word. And I am not a confrontational person, nor was there any reason for such behavior. She also was chewing gum while scolding me...

Got her name. Wrote a detailed letter to the central administration.
The apology letter stated that she was reprimanded. I really hope she was fired, actually. There are normal people looking for a job...

Now, I simply drive to Hauppague - better experience.
A public sector civil service worker FIRED? LOL! THAT'S precisely why she treated you that way ... because she could with no repercussions. The union will take care of her and make sure she gets a raise every year no matter how rude or incompetent she is. That's why they're such a joke. There is no incentive to behave properly and do your job correctly, especially when you've got the taxpayers over a barrel and your union buys the politicians.

I take it you doubt she was fired too or you wouldn't be going out of your way to Hauppauge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island