U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is nicer/more affluent?
Oakdale & Idle Hour 11 61.11%
Shoreham Village 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM

1,096 posts, read 855,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
A million percent sure...

J-O-H-N-N-Y C-A-S-H - I've Been Everywhere - With Lyrics - YouTube

...on LI at least!

What's so unbelievable about that? From what I remember, there wasn't a gate, security checkpoint or whatnot preventing me from driving right into the village. I voted Shoreham anyway. IMO it clearly appears more affluent/exclusive/whatever.

If I could afford to live there I probably wouldn't worry about my commute, I'd just be worried about going stir-crazy living in the middle of nowhere constantly.

Well you don"t have to worry the NYC BANDITS made that impossible
when they moved here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,115,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good choice.
Its oft confused with other nice parts of town.

Not sure how being 60 miles east of NYC is nowhere, but to each his own.

Love the JC

Crooks
Right, LOL... and the other guy will be along shortly to rant about how you can get to Manhattan from there in only 68 minutes on a cool autumn night at 4AM with the right headwind when Jupiter is aligned with Mars, low sunspot activity, perfect traffic conditions, tires with a low rolling-resistance and catching all 47 traffic lights on "green"... as long as you had backed your car into the garage and your driveway slopes down at the minimum of a 38 degree angle SO WHY ARE PEOPLE ACTING LIKE SUFFOLK IS SO FAR FROM NYC!??!?!?!

Places like Shoreham, nice as they are, are just a little too far removed from civilization for my personal tastes. For anyone a mere 20 miles west of my front door, I'm sure my neighborhood seems like the boonies too. I'm not upset about it, that's just perspective.

If I won the Mega Millions tomorrow night, my primary address wouldn't be Muttontown or Upper Brookville either. Not into it... don't get the appeal of secluding yourself from other people. Even those towns seem too detached and rural to me, though by your (wacky) definition you should be able take a leak over the border into Queens from them.

Beautiful places, all of them, just not my speed!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,318,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Which do you think is nicer/more affluent.

Crooks seems to think that Shoreham is much much much nicer and on a totally different scale then Oakdale & Idle Hour.

So let's see what everyone else thinks.

Friggin Low life Vanderbilts. They should have been livin it up in Brookhaven boonies!!
Don't bother. You're wasting your time. They must be drankin' that cesspool water...
They think this is working class cheese ball living (with boats of course):

4 Roxbury Ct, Oakdale, NY 11769 - Zillow

=============

AND....this is a "Private community of 400 millionaires"
Property Details for 2340226
Shoreham, NY

Property Details for 2372325

It's only cheese ball because you can't afford it.

ps- what a rip off for bumpkin living in No Brookhaven. Better off moving to the boondocks in Ridge and living like a king --so one can cure their inferiority complex...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,834,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

ps- what a rip off for bumpkin living in No Brookhaven. Better off moving to the boondocks in Ridge and living like a king --so one can cure their inferiority complex...
Just remember, my offer still stands anytime you want to come on up to the boonies and compare real estate portfolios. You keep defending the Riv, the smell of low tide and snarling traffic while i enjoy the fresh air, live the good life and collect rents out here in Brookhaven. Maybe the next time on my way to my pied a terre in manhattan we can meet at the jewel of massapequa, the sunrise mall to discuss.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,734,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Don't bother. You're wasting your time. They must be drankin' that cesspool water...
They think this is working class cheese ball living (with boats of course):

4 Roxbury Ct, Oakdale, NY 11769 - Zillow

=============

AND....this is a "Private community of 400 millionaires"
Property Details for 2340226
Shoreham, NY

Property Details for 2372325

Wow, what a foolish post.

You clearly have never been to Shoreham Village Peqs and know nothing of the area.Of course there's some summer homes there. Is Poquott a dump too?

Im actually surprised at you, being a number cruncher and all that you didnt bother to break down the facts and demographics for each.

Its not a N/S thing. Its an old money private hideaway thing. No one is saying that Oakdale is a dump or Idle Hour isnt stunning. Were just saying theres no cheeseball coops in Shoreham Village.

Beware the wrath of Kelly on that knuckleheaded Ridge swipe.
Im really disappointed in you.Think next time.This is how wars are started.

Crooks

Downscale?
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...44271342_zpid/

Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,421,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
... we can meet at the jewel of massapequa, the sunrise mall to discuss.
That would be the jewel of East Massapequa.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,127,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow, what a foolish post.

You clearly have never been to Shoreham Village Peqs and know nothing of the area.Of course there's some summer homes there. Is Poquott a dump too?

Im actually surprised at you, being a number cruncher and all that you didnt bother to break down the facts and demographics for each.

Its not a N/S thing. Its an old money private hideaway thing. No one is saying that Oakdale is a dump or Idle Hour isnt stunning. Were just saying theres no cheeseball coops in Shoreham Village.

Beware the wrath of Kelly on that knuckleheaded Ridge swipe.
Im really disappointed in you.Think next time.This is how wars are started.

Crooks

Downscale?
127 Briarcliff Rd, Shoreham, NY 11786 MLS# 2418737 - Zillow

If this is the case - then why bring down Oakdale for having "cheesy" normal houses too?? even though you said before that there are no coops in Shoreham.

Only glorious north shore towns are entitled to summer homes??

Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,834,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
If this is the case - then why bring down Oakdale for having "cheesy" normal houses too?? even though you said before that there are no coops in Shoreham.

Only glorious north shore towns are entitled to summer homes??
you are missing the point. I'm not knocking the few summer bungelows that are left in Idle hour, that's part of the charm. It is the midcentury high ranches turned victorian/post modern/colonial that makes me gag. Also in areas where lot sizes are tight to maximize the glorious canals the pyramid law would be great. Having homes that tower over their neighbors and cover 98% of the lot doesn't scream high end living to me.
I like both areas for different reasons as I stated in my OP. you can keep hating on Ridge but frankly I'm not that one that hates where they currently live. Just remember- no matter where you go, there you are.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 AM
s13

553 posts, read 416,343 times
So to recap, we're all in agreement that Oakdale > any Brookhaven turd-hole, yes?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,127,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
So to recap, we're all in agreement that Oakdale > any Brookhaven turd-hole, yes?
By a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island