U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 44,907 times
Default job offer in hauppauge

Hi,
I am in Houston, TX and moving to long island for a job in Hauppauge, i have 2 kids 3 and 6 years old. where is the best place to live , good schools , safe and family oriented neighborhoods ??

schools and safety are very important, so i am looking for good elementary schools ? i donít mind commuting 30-40 minutes each way every day.

i am not familiar in Long Island, but will i be able to get a decent 3 Br condo,appartment, house from owner between 1600-2200 a month ?

Your input is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

7,262 posts, read 7,521,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohshaker View Post
Hi,
I am in Houston, TX and moving to long island for a job in Hauppauge, i have 2 kids 3 and 6 years old. where is the best place to live , good schools , safe and family oriented neighborhoods ??

schools and safety are very important, so i am looking for good elementary schools ? i donít mind commuting 30-40 minutes each way every day.

i am not familiar in Long Island, but will i be able to get a decent 3 Br condo,appartment, house from owner between 1600-2200 a month ?

Your input is highly appreciated.
You will be able to rent a small house for that amount in many good disricts. School districts on Long Island do not operate like they do in many other places in the country. They are not county run but their own little pseudo municipalities that overlap towns without rhyme or reason.

I would look on MLSLI.com under the following list based on school district: Hauppauge, Smithtown, Commack, Northport, Kings Park, Half Hollow Hills, Haborfields, Islip, East Islip, West Islip, Babylon, Connetquot, Sachem, Sayville, Bayport-Bluepoint, Sachem, Three Village. You can also do okay in West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Patchogue Medford or Elwood. Pushing the 40 minute boundary are places like Port Jefferson and then everything north and East, Mt. Sinai, Miller Place, etc.

Honestly, the rental inventory here is garbage compared to what you are probably used to seeing in Houston, where everything is big and new. In your price range you will be seeing VERY small (by Houston standards) and old places. Most people who are renting out their homes have not spent a lot of money updating, and most housing stock on LI is 30+ years old. You should DEFINITELY take an extensive visit before committing.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM

30 posts, read 44,907 times
Default understood but schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You will be able to rent a small house for that amount in many good disricts. School districts on Long Island do not operate like they do in many other places in the country. They are not county run but their own little pseudo municipalities that overlap towns without rhyme or reason.

I would look on MLSLI.com under the following list based on school district: Hauppauge, Smithtown, Commack, Northport, Kings Park, Half Hollow Hills, Haborfields, Islip, East Islip, West Islip, Babylon, Connetquot, Sachem, Sayville, Bayport-Bluepoint, Sachem, Three Village. You can also do okay in West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Patchogue Medford or Elwood. Pushing the 40 minute boundary are places like Port Jefferson and then everything north and East, Mt. Sinai, Miller Place, etc.

Honestly, the rental inventory here is garbage compared to what you are probably used to seeing in Houston, where everything is big and new. In your price range you will be seeing VERY small (by Houston standards) and old places. Most people who are renting out their homes have not spent a lot of money updating, and most housing stock on LI is 30+ years old. You should DEFINITELY take an extensive visit before committing.
yes but still there is must be top ranked schools , they cannot eb all the same ???

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,800,512 times
You will find out that its easier to name to good schools(compared nationally) on Long Island rather than name the bad ones. Its not like other parts of the country where schools cover a lot of area. Every town here pretty much has its own school system.

Quote:
yes but still there is must be top ranked schools , they cannot eb all the same ???

Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

7,262 posts, read 7,521,641 times
Quote:
What I gave you were basicaly the top half of the schools in that general area. There are 50+ districts in Suffolk County.

If you want "top ranked" you're talking about Three Village or Half Hollow Hills.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM

857 posts, read 963,907 times
I believed the op responded to top schools based on your budget. Some of those districts like he said you would be able to get a small home or maybe a two bedroom condo not in the greatest shape for that price. Like he said school districts here are not like any place else they are quasi governments that dictates every thing else. If you wanted Jerico, Garden City ect you may need to add another $1500 to your budget. Happauge and Commack are pretty good

Quote:

Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM

7,631 posts, read 10,359,140 times
In the SDs mentioned, you'll have a fairly decent selection available within reasonable driving distance in your stated price range, although you should count on $2,000+.
Many will only have 1 bathroom, some 1 1/2, a few 2 full bathrooms.
If you rent an entire house (most 3 bedroom rentals will be), please note that heat and electric/gas are generally not included in the rent. In some instances water isn't either, but here on Long Island, that's a relatively small amount.
Some have access to basement(s) and/or a garage, others have off-street parking. Groundcare may or may not be included - it depends...

Oh, you may not be familiar with cesspools/septic tanks. They are very common in Suffolk County, which is where you'll be looking. Sewers are currently only in a few areas of the County. Nothing to be overly concerned with, just something you should be aware of.

Welcome

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,394,005 times
mohshaker, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Status: "Dont have a High School Mentality" (set 14 days ago)

1,474 posts, read 960,731 times
Long Island geography is NOT confusing....unless you listen to Walter....he makes it much more confusing than it really is.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,530,715 times
What I don't get is why are we all supposed to be informed that you are DM'ing someone.... can't you just do it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island