Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,116 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Right now we live in Miller Place, but we are thinking of moving closer to my husband's work (in East Setauket). (We are looking to spend around 1 million on a house.) One option we looked at is St James. My kids are homeschooled, so school districts don't really matter to me. I really have gotten to enjoy the Brookhaven beaches (especially Cedar Beach and also West Meadow). How do the Smithtown beaches compare? Also are there any specific areas close by East Setauket you'd suggest I check out that are nice and have families with young kids (mine range from 0 to 8). I am always hoping to find a neighborhood where neighborhood kids play outside together on the weekends--but that seems pretty rare.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM

166 posts, read 313,746 times
You're probably not going to find a 'hood of 1 million dollar homes where kids play outside. At that price, people have their own pools, go away for nice vacations in summer, and send kids to camp. There are some kid friendly neighborhoods off of Old Town rd. near Ward Melville HS, but not in the 1 million dollar range. There are two other neighborhood off of Gnarled hollow rd. - island Estates, and the "pirate sounding streets" development (Spyglass La., Musket pl., etc.). but kids playing outside isn't too common these days.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Miller place is pretty close to East Setauket...and MP is a nice area, pretty confused as to why you want to move.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,116 times
Geo123--thanks for the advice--I'll look at those neighborhoods. Maybe I need to look at cheaper houses to find more kids playing

ydsavaged--My husband runs into a lot if traffic on 347. His commute is about 25 minutes to a half hour each way--not horrible, but it would be nice to cut that down some. Also, there is a huge number if ticks where we live right now (near a wooded area)--so I would like to move somewhere else in any case--might as well move closer to work!

Last edited by Catoli; 01-30-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
You're probably not going to find a 'hood of 1 million dollar homes where kids play outside. At that price, people have their own pools, go away for nice vacations in summer, and send kids to camp. There are some kid friendly neighborhoods off of Old Town rd. near Ward Melville HS, but not in the 1 million dollar range. There are two other neighborhood off of Gnarled hollow rd. - island Estates, and the "pirate sounding streets" development (Spyglass La., Musket pl., etc.). but kids playing outside isn't too common these days.
Unfortunately. Nowadays, kids have "play dates", even at an early age

Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Miller place is pretty close to East Setauket...and MP is a nice area, pretty confused as to why you want to move.
I agree, Ill even go one further to say its a little bit nicer these days.

I have some friends who recently moved back home to Miller Place from St James after finding needles in their park. Not saying that crap isnt everywhere, but just something to consider.

I'd put the 1M into a Sound front home with a private beach club that doesent back the woods in MP first.
I see plenty of kids out and about near McNultys, Miller Place Park, Rustic Acres etc (all under 1m)
Have you checked out Scotts Beach?
http://www.scottsbeachclubinc.org/main/

St James is nice but you cant go wrong with Miller Place and I think you'll miss it in terms of QOL.
I guess the logic is do I want to drive through a traffic jam (SUSB) or live in one?
If youre hell bent on going west ask OBH about some of the stuff by SBV/beach.
Good stuff there too.

Good luck in the hunt.

Crooks

PS
347 is for Rookies. No Co to Shore through PJ via 25AW

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-31-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,095 times
Homeschooling kids does isolate them a bit from the "neighborhood" kids. I'd look into gated communities, although they might not be your cup of tea. Kids run around in those communities b/c young families moved in all at the same time and parents feel they are safer. I'd verify before you buy and look in the spring when the weather is warmer to see the kids running around. There is a very nice gated community in E. Setakeut, as well as in Mt Sinai. The Villages in Mt. Sinai = tons of kids, The Hamlet= very few kids. I know you homeschool your kids now, but I'm not sure you (or they) will want that option in HS. I'd pick a HS you are comfortable with as well as a neighborhood. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
I have never been to a Brookhaven beach. What I can tell you is that Smithtown beaches and parks are excellent and well maintained. An option to the beach could be one of the three sprinkler parks, the biggest one being at Hoyt Farm in Commack. As far as needles in the park, I too have heard that story but have never encountered any myself. (I check due to hearing a similiar tale a few years ago) I have lived in two areas of Smithtown and found both neighborhoods to have a lot of kids playing outside for what its worth. St. James is a nice hamlet with walkable business area but the $1 million homes won't be in that immediate area. Good luck to you.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
but kids playing outside isn't too common these days.
It snot?

---------
@crooks this must be a one-sided deal for 2012. no TP no insults.

...did they seriously move because they found needles in the park??

On the ticks...It's likely those pesky deer running around your hood.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Yes they did.

No TP at all. Just one mans opinion.

Why for F sake would you even be remotely near this thead?
Run along lol
; )

Like I said that crap is everywhere.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island