Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Just came across 2 interesting You tube videos produced by Newsday way back when.

Made me laugh out loud several times, home prices, Town of Hempstead giving vets a hard time, a place where the MEN can relax (golf course). No mention of us lady folks.!!!

Enjoy.
[SIZE=2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HipP8ywO4&feature=related[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUo0T3e6Nc0[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Wow ToH was right. It's a shame all those slab homes were built.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Wow ToH was right. It's a shame all those slab homes were built.

I am seriously hoping that you are joking with that comment! If the GI's didn't deserve it no one did.

I was laughing because as many years ago as that was, so many in the TOH are still having problems with the Town.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just came across 2 interesting You tube videos produced by Newsday way back when.

Made me laugh out loud several times, home prices, Town of Hempstead giving vets a hard time, a place where the MEN can relax (golf course). No mention of us lady folks.!!!

Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HipP8ywO4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUo0T3e6Nc0
Wow, such a find! Thanks!

Hilarious in some ways, innocent and verrrry optimistic too, full of deep thoughts...

"This is Long Island - where things have happened, are happening and are going to happen!" (can't argue with that)...

"We've got a lot of jobs here, and a lot of farm land too..."

"In place of a single mansion, now 20 people can own their own small castles!" - by castle they specifically meant a Levitt home , that apparently was renting for $60....

Very enjoyable though...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am seriously hoping that you are joking with that comment! If the GI's didn't deserve it no one did.

I was laughing because as many years ago as that was, so many in the TOH are still having problems with the Town.
I was speaking in terms of ToH not approving of the construction method. The GI's deserved better imo.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Sure does make me homesick. In Portuguese , there is a word "saudades" which means a longing and a nostalgia for a lost place and time . Tenho saudades.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I was speaking in terms of ToH not approving of the construction method. The GI's deserved better imo.
Glad to hear it and sorry if I misread you, as you can tell, I have the utmost respect and thanks for the all the men and women of the military, both past and present. Got that from my Dad, who received the Purple heart.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Sure does make me homesick. In Portuguese , there is a word "saudades" which means a longing and a nostalgia for a lost place and time . Tenho saudades.
I'm still trying to get that time machine working.

This last week I bumped into a guy on the security line at Orlando Intl. who turned out to be another LI-expat from my hood. The story he told about how his parents scrimped and saved to move from the Bronx to the Island in order to give their sons a better life reminded me of another reason people moved to the Island. It really was looked at as the land of opportunity back in the 60's.

Side note: Overheard the guy say he was a Giants fan so I asked where he was from. Only an ex-pat would answer "North Babylon" though he no longer lived there. Turns out he was a fellow Bulldog but a few classes ahead of me. It was great for both of us remembering those years.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
If you ever get that built , please invite me to go on to it. I can not imagine anything better than to be riding my bike to Gumbus' corner store in Setauket for a huge bag of candy for 25 cents. Then, having a picnic with sandwiches and 10 cent cokes right by the Post Office next to the pond. I wonder if that PO is still open .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
If you ever get that built , please invite me to go on to it. I can not imagine anything better than to be riding my bike to Gumbus' corner store in Setauket for a huge bag of candy for 25 cents. Then, having a picnic with sandwiches and 10 cent cokes right by the Post Office next to the pond. I wonder if that PO is still open .

This may answer your question, setauket post office - Google Maps If you click on B then go to the street view you may be able to see it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island