Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Why whould a place thats overdeveloped and overpopulated need growth??????.
So that your parents don't suffocate with >$20,000 taxes on the house and can give you change for the go-karts .

Some new housing development (yes, including the dreaded condos!) is inevitable to keep this place alive and thriving. It can be done without destroying what you like about LI, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Why whould a place thats overdeveloped and overpopulated need growth??????.
We're talking about economic development. Let the grown ups talk. No one wants to kill your happy tree.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
We're talking about economic development. Let the grown ups talk. No one wants to kill your happy tree.
Ah ok i got scared for a min. by the way im legally am a grown up.
but i will let you have your fun.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
So that your parents don't suffocate with >$20,000 taxes on the house and can give you change for the go-karts .

Some new housing development (yes, including the dreaded condos!) is inevitable to keep this place alive and thriving. It can be done without destroying what you like about LI, I believe.
It would be my hope that should development and tax revenue come that residents costs would start to come down. My fear is the elected officials will say "we have more money now!" and start spending on expensive pipe dreams....again.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I hope you're right Crooks, but it had the chance of being Silicon Island back in the 80's and 90's, and I don't see why it would happen now. It's the same ingredients as back then but with a higher COL and cost of business, but hey I've been wrong before.
Have you considered the COL on the Peninsula after the bust?
LI is a steal in comparison.

Wouldnt be at all surpised if Meg Whitman came home and if Larry Ellison looked to plant a flag here.
We'll see. Hell of a talent pool.

IT is the only growth industry USA really has right now and LI has an abundance of IT professionals.
That in itself is radically different than the 90s before the bottom fell out on Mfg.

Keep an eye on Calverton.

Crooks

Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
From your lips to God's ear Crooks, I hope you're right.
I don't agree with the Island being a steal for a start up, it's just too pricey all around which just results in faster cash burn. Also back in the 80's Grumman had flooded the market with programmers which is where a lot of the current abundance likely comes from, and why I thought Silicon Island would happen in the late 80's early 90's, so I don't see why it's different now.

On the plus side AccuVein, Certpoint Systems Inc. and Kemp Technologies just got some VC cash, so that's a good thing.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 02-06-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
From your lips to God's ear Crooks, I hope you're right.
I don't agree with the Island being a steal for a start up, it's just too pricey all around which just results in faster cash burn. Also back in the 80's Grumman had flooded the market with programmers which is where a lot of the current abundance likely comes from, and why I thought Silicon Island would happen in the late 80's early 90's, so I don't see why it's different now.

On the plus side AccuVein, Certpoint Systems Inc. and Kemp Technologies just got some VC cash, so that's a good thing.
I thought I articulated it fairly well above?

Calverton is a steal compared to Redwood City.

Crooks

Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks
Now we are comparing NY to the illegal immigrant capital of the world lol oh god.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks
These days Crooks the Island is competing with the entire country, from Rochester NY to Bellevue WA for value. Long Island leaders really have to get together for a real silicon island to happen.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Now we are comparing NY to the illegal immigrant capital of the world lol oh god.
Seldumb

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island