U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM

3,543 posts, read 4,171,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
Remember that the "grass is always greener...."

LI has
1. Great beaches
2. One of the best climates anywhere including an actual change in seasons. Summers are hot but not too bad. We have snow, but not too much.
3. Unlike other parts of the country, Mother Nature is pretty good to us - no earthquakes, floods, tornados (not many) volcanoes, forest fires, etc...43. Easy access to the greatest city in the world.. even with traffic, a visit to NYC is easier then from out of state.
4. The best bagels and pizza around!
1. You can't eat beach.
2. Summers are great, you can keep the fall and winters.
3. But you have the Southern State and the LIE.
43. I can be in mid-town in 2 hours.
4. OK, you got me there, but we're getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 AM

210 posts, read 420,593 times
I'm not saying the bad points don't exist, but LI isn't a total hell hole like many here seem to write. I was merely pointing out some good points.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

3,543 posts, read 4,171,586 times
I know I was just funnin ya. I miss those LI summers.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,638,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post

It is a horrible place governed by selfish whites in gated communities.

How about you take it easy...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,638,254 times
I enjoy my life and spend a ton of time with my kids. I work 5 minutes from my house and try to keep a 9-6 schedule. My wife stays at home and does quite well with her internet business. We are in a great area, with access to a lot. There is always something to do...this weekend I know of at least 4 festivals I would consider going to. As the fall rolls around (maybe my favorite season), the leaves change, the weather gets nicer (to me) and you move into a different mode from the summer. I love that on Sat I can go out East to the wineries and farms, then Sunday catch brunch and a show in NYC. I like that I can get to ocean beaches in 1/2 hour, or go to an old estate on the north shore in 15 minutes. There's a ton of places to eat and shop, and there are more than enough parks to take the kids, too. I like that my kids will get a good education, I like that my family is safe, and that I can easily call someone up to talk to at the GC PD/FD, sanitation, etc.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM

127 posts, read 314,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I enjoy my life and spend a ton of time with my kids. I work 5 minutes from my house and try to keep a 9-6 schedule. My wife stays at home and does quite well with her internet business. We are in a great area, with access to a lot. There is always something to do...this weekend I know of at least 4 festivals I would consider going to. As the fall rolls around (maybe my favorite season), the leaves change, the weather gets nicer (to me) and you move into a different mode from the summer. I love that on Sat I can go out East to the wineries and farms, then Sunday catch brunch and a show in NYC. I like that I can get to ocean beaches in 1/2 hour, or go to an old estate on the north shore in 15 minutes. There's a ton of places to eat and shop, and there are more than enough parks to take the kids, too. I like that my kids will get a good education, I like that my family is safe, and that I can easily call someone up to talk to at the GC PD/FD, sanitation, etc.
Amen to all that. I really don't understand all the issues so many here seem to have with Long Island.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 PM

5,218 posts, read 1,987,901 times
Quote:

well... GC.. Gaden City. yup.. great area.. and may I ask WHAT you do for a living.. bet it's a much high paying job and is not "blue collar". Do you think your kids will be able to afford to live here when they start out with their families? Well.. hope they plan on being CEO's , Lawyers, DR's and other high paying positions..
The problem is that LI is becoming unaffordable for those that do not have high paying jobs. You aer one of the fortunate who probably has a high paying job AND you get to spend time with your kid. Most households require that 2 people work.. adn taht Usually requiers OUTSIDE the home! The middle class on LI is dissppearing.. adn the higher the taxes and the cost of livign gets..
I can afford my hosue.. but with NO breathing room. I don't live nor do I expect to live in teh best parts or in the best scools.. but decent schools and safe neighborhoods..which I consider Levittown to be. Glad you can enjoy the beaches and so on and so forth.. yup..we do have a lot of nice thigns around.. but at what cost.. too high of a cost if you ask me.. and we don't even have time to do all those lovely things.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:

well... GC.. Gaden City or Glen Cove. yup.. great area (and both are one of hte more expensive).. and may I ask WHAT you do for a living.. bet it's a much high paying job and is not "blue collar". Do you think your kids will be able to afford to live here when they start out with their families? Well.. hope they plan on being CEO's , Lawyers, DR's and other high paying positions..
The problem is that LI is becoming unaffordable for those that do not have high paying jobs. You aer one of the fortunate who probably has a high paying job AND you get to spend time with your kid. Most households require that 2 people work.. adn taht Usually requiers OUTSIDE the home! The middle class on LI is dissppearing.. adn the higher the taxes and the cost of livign gets..
I can afford my hosue.. but with NO breathing room. I don't live nor do I expect to live in teh best parts or in the best scools.. but decent schools and safe neighborhoods..which I consider Levittown to be. Glad you can enjoy the beaches and so on and so forth.. yup..we do have a lot of nice thigns around.. but at what cost.. too high of a cost if you ask me.. and we don't even have time to do all those lovely things.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 11,757,109 times
Where are you living , Clarkstreet ? I guess you mentioned it, but I never saw that post.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
I'm not saying the bad points don't exist, but LI isn't a total hell hole like many here seem to write. I was merely pointing out some good points.
Yeah.. I wasn't saying LI is a hell hole.. of course it's nice.. I'm simply saying that at it's high cost of living, it is pushing many out and it's getting ridiculous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island