Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
There are no state mandated percentage increases for teachers.

He may be referring to "step" increases which are based on longevity and educational levels, which are also negotiated at the district level. Unlike many other districts, in the absense of a contract, Northport teachers do not get step increases (this was negotiated away 10 years ago). Therefor, they have been at a hard freeze for the past almost 2 years. Why should they approve a contract which simply codifies what has already been imposed on them?

Northport has a very weak union. That is why their leadership endorsed a pitiful contract that was overwhelmingly voted down.
They received step increases in the contract that expired in 2010, they froze step increases for 2010-2011, where did you get that they halted step increases 10 year ago, go read the contract.

I assume they are at impasse for the current contract, the previous one expired in 2010.

I believe the poster was referring to the Triborough Amendment that allows the prior contract to remain in force with the exception of cost of living increases, while they negotiate a new contract. Steps on the prior contract remain in effect until a new agreement is reached.

District Defends Contract Proposal - Northport, NY Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Or the school disrtict would have to draft a proposed budget and have it approved by the town/county in which they resign. They would lose their taxing authority and would become another department working within an approved budget. Counties or towns would collect additional taxes to cover this responsibility but no more open ended taxes because "the children will suffer"

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Or the school disrtict would have to draft a proposed budget and have it approved by the town/county in which they resign. They would lose their taxing authority and would become another department working within an approved budget. Counties or towns would collect additional taxes to cover this responsibility but no more open ended taxes because "the children will suffer"
Are you advocating a townwide or countywide school district?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM

It appears that the Northport Teachers Union gave up the sunset provision (Triborough Amendment?) in prior negotiations so that step increases do no automatically carryover when the contract ended in 2010.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
You guys are just too funny. You all start out by saying "no one's teacher bashing," then follow that statement with good ol' fashion teacher bashing.

Yes, we should cut all teacher pay in half!! That should find some quality teachers when they can make more working in fast food than teaching! And they should have to face the taxpayers! But then maybe you guys prefer to raise stupid children....it definitely saves on college expenses when they are not smart enough to get into college.

Who here honestly things education is free and people should simply teach out of the goodness of their hearts while they are struggling to make ends meet? And gas is over $4 a gallon? When did teachers get into the oil industry? Teacher's wanting to be paid their weight in gold? Wow that is a great statement, I sense no "teacher bashing" there.

I say you guys should cut all education spending, and in 30 years, you should tell me how that is working out for you guys....you know if your kids know how to spell.

Now back to your regular "teacher bashing" fest you got going on. I might check back in a bit to see if there has been any more funny posts cause I know there's gonna be!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You guys are just too funny. You all start out by saying "no one's teacher bashing," then follow that statement with good ol' fashion teacher bashing.

Yes, we should cut all teacher pay in half!! That should find some quality teachers when they can make more working in fast food than teaching! And they should have to face the taxpayers! But then maybe you guys prefer to raise stupid children....it definitely saves on college expenses when they are not smart enough to get into college.

Who here honestly things education is free and people should simply teach out of the goodness of their hearts while they are struggling to make ends meet? And gas is over $4 a gallon? When did teachers get into the oil industry? Teacher's wanting to be paid their weight in gold? Wow that is a great statement, I sense no "teacher bashing" there.

I say you guys should cut all education spending, and in 30 years, you should tell me how that is working out for you guys....you know if your kids know how to spell.

Now back to your regular "teacher bashing" fest you got going on. I might check back in a bit to see if there has been any more funny posts cause I know there's gonna be!!
Why is it that when teachers salary and benefits are questioned it is considered "bashing". Try making a sensible argument in their defense. You do realize that just a few taxpayers have troublke making ends meet also, do you know the median salaries on LI, what average resident pay for healthcare, pensions.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Are you advocating a townwide or countywide school district?
It would be best but I realize that won't happen. What I mean is the school system submits a budget to either the town or county, once approved they provide the schools with the funds. The schools lose the ability to tax, they must work to create a workable budget and if something can not be funded, oh well.

We have county wide districts currently we are trying to adjust the proposed school budget down to a figure that the county is willing to accept. IE we have to adjust to work within the available funds, raising taxes is [u]not[u] an available option..

Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Cut it perhaps, definetly go back and evaluate what is really needed at what price? The last 30 years of rampant spending hasn't produced any major improvments in students. If anything they seem to be regressing in many
areas.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It would be best but I realize that won't happen. What I mean is the school system submits a budget to either the town or county, once approved they provide the schools with the funds. The schools lose the ability to tax, they must work to create a workable budget and if something can not be funded, oh well.

We have county wide districts currently we are trying to adjust the proposed school budget down to a figure that the county is willing to accept. IE we have to adjust to work within the available funds, raising taxes is [u]not[u] an available option..:crying:
That's exactly how Independent Incorporated Fire Companies (IIFCs), Association Libraries and special district libraries are funded, They submit their budget to the town gov't who then votes for or denies approval.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how Independent Incorporated Fire Companies (IIFCs), Association Libraries and special district libraries are funded, They submit their budget to the town gov't who then votes for or denies approval.
Being an incorporated county all departments, schools, fire, library etc. must submit their budgets to the county for approval and inclusion in the budget. We only pay property tax so these various areas can not tax separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island