Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyHoliday View Post
I think the south (meaning anything south of New Jersey) is suited to some but not for others. DH and I have made a few trips to visit friends in the Carolinas and couldn't wait to get back home. It's just 'not for us' on so very many levels -- we could never envision either moving or retiring there. Long Island is the farthest south we would ever want to live. I'm a 12th-generation Yankee (my paternal ancestor came over on the Mayflower) and DH is British.

OK - I just have to know - what is "DH" - I've seen it a few times on this site and I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
OK - I just have to know - what is "DH" - I've seen it a few times on this site and I don't know.
So many people write that online, I also have no idea what it means

Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
I think it means "darling husband".

Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post

Dear Husband or Darling Husband.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Yea I know Tim and Faith are outside nashville. I saw Johnny cash's house in Hendersonville before it burnt down[beautifull area by the way] . The oak ridge boys live there as well. also saw Reba Mcintyre's ranch OMG. There is alot of money in TN . those hillbillies sure did well for themselves. Did you ever see the gaylord hotell? if not you have to, it is unbelievable.
I stayed at the Gaylord Hotel New Years Eve. They has an inside Fireworks Display.
Tim and Faith are moving to Leipers Fork, TN where the Judds Live.
I like Alan Jackson's house the best-
Pictures of Alan Jackson's House, Bus and Garage

He's also a Hillbilly, lol
Diane

Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
A lesson for Long Islanders. Just because someone's from the South, wears a cowboy hat and talks "funny", doesn't mean their stupid.

These NASCAR and country music "bumpkins" have been raking it in for years, and put on shows that rival any rock concert.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
A lesson for Long Islanders. Just because someone's from the South, wears a cowboy hat and talks "funny", doesn't mean their stupid.

These NASCAR and country music "bumpkins" have been raking it in for years, and put on shows that rival any rock concert.
All ready knew that. And we are not all rude and arrogant.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
All ready knew that. And we are not all rude and arrogant.
Of course not, but it can seem that way when interacting with Southern manners. Long Islanders are pretty direct, if they don't like you they make it known. Many Southerners on the other hand put decorum over confrontation and will make their feelings known in other ways. If they don't like you, your kids or the person you're seeing, you'll find yourself invited over less and less, and before you know it you're on the outs with your old group of friends. I know of one guy who relocated from NJ and was very aggressive in his business dealings with Southerners figuring they were wimps. After bulldozing a few customers word got around and he found even new customers too busy to see him. So some advice to LIers when dealing with Southerners, be very polite, don't be pushy and cultivate relationships that will pay off later.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Of course not, but it can seem that way when interacting with Southern manners. Long Islanders are pretty direct, if they don't like you they make it known. Many Southerners on the other hand put decorum over confrontation and will make their feelings known in other ways. If they don't like you, your kids or the person you're seeing, you'll find yourself invited over less and less, and before you know it you're on the outs with your old group of friends. I know of one guy who relocated from NJ and was very aggressive in his business dealings with Southerners figuring they were wimps. After bulldozing a few customers word got around and he found even new customers too busy to see him. So some advice to LIers when dealing with Southerners, be very polite, don't be pushy and cultivate relationships that will pay off later.
Long Islanders are not as Pushy as people from NJ. They are just plain mean there.When I see a NJ licence plate here I cringe. I don't do that with a NY plate. That is true about Southerners, but now I became one of them.
Diane

Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Quote:
I think I am more southern then I think then. because that is the way I am . most of the time. Put push to far and you will see more N.Y..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island