Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 15,981 times

Advertisements

Yesterday at about 6:20pm, I was home alone with my children, 2 months, 4 and 6. My 4 year old lost his first tooth so here we were on the floor looking for it. We wanted to leave it for the tooth fairy. All the sudden my dog stands up and walks towards the door. I didn't hear anyone come up the porch steps like I normally do. I hear the glass door swing open (the one day I forget to lock it) and the knob to the inner door being touched/pushed. My dog goes crazy, my kids start screaming "daddy, daddy" I went to the door flipped the porch lights on and what do I see? No not daddy, a tall, black man with dreads wearing a neon vest (like the one construction workers wear). He was tall medium build with dreads up to his shoulders. Nothing in hand, with a face I'll never forget.

I screamed NO! and shut the porch lights off, did he run down the stairs? No, he stood there, went down 2 steps, turned around, went down 2 steps turned around, went down two more steps and turned around. Slowly he left my property. I shut off all the lights, as I wanted to look out and watch where he went. I believe he took his neon vest off, why you ask? Well, did I mention he was wearing all dark clothes, with that he disappeared into the night. I believe in my heart he had a gun, what guts he had to just try and walk into someones house. How did he know the house was not filled with armed men? Well he must have been armed himself. How scary it was for me, it's not just my life here, it's the lives of my three innocent children who did not ask to be here. So I protect them the only way I know how....be strong, alert and ready.

I don't even know why he picked my house, but I do know that had he made it in I would have fought to death for my children.

Why am I writing this? I just want people to know just because you think you live in a safe area doesn't mean you're safe. Lock your doors, get a dog. Talk to your children and tell them not to open the door to anyone, even if they think the person is "daddy"

I called the police and they took his description, they said the neon vest is used by utility workers. He could have used it to make me feel "safe" and open the door to talk to him. They would be on the look out for him and asked me to call if I see him anywhere.

I did not sleep last night, I was scared. The kids were scared, so I had the talk with my 6 year old that I hated. I told her that if she ever sees mommy fighting with a stranger, not to worry about me. I told her to grab the phone, your brother and the baby. I told her to hide and call 911.

PLEASE BE SAFE! Lock all doors at all times and tell children never ever to answer the door.

Last edited by WestIslipConcerned; 02-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
OMG! I'm happy to hear that you and your kids are safe. That is REALLY scary! Thank God you closed the door in time. This is a sick world we live in. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so relieved for you and your family that you and your children are safe.

Did you call the cops by any chance to make a statement? I don't know if they could have done anything. When I'm home alone I used to always have my front door open...especially while my dog was running around outside but lately I've been keeping the door closed and locked. Thank God for your dog flipping out to alert you.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
He would have moved faster if you racked the slide of a shotgun behind the door.

Of course, you could call the SC Keystone Kops while the guy kicked in your door....

they would be there in time to call for an ambulance.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
He would have moved faster if you racked the slide of a shotgun behind the door.

Of course, you could call the SC Keystone Kops while the guy kicked in your door....

they would be there in time to call for an ambulance.
While I do agree with your first sentence, b/c my husband has a shotgun.... with 3 children around, I dont' know if she would want this in her home. My baby is only 7 months old now but I get worried when he gets older and is able to walk. I keep telling my hubby to put the lock together to lock up the gun. HOwever, now after the OP's story, I want to learn how to shoot that gun myself. YOu never know if you need to have it for your own defense but some parents feel differently with children in the home. Also, what if the gun islocked up, there may not be enough time to even get to the gun. That's my theory. I used to keep a baseball bat next to my bed when I was livign alone and in my 20's. At least that I would just have to grab and not have to worry about unlocking it. However, I am sure ifhe heard the sound of a gun, he would flee right away.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
so how fast did the cops come....in enough time to save you?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM

no, an hour later. There was an accident and not enough police working. My husband was home when the cop came.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,154 times
Wow, that's scary. Thank goodness you and your kids are safe.

Have you talked to any neighbors? Did he go to their doors as well? He may have just been looking for a house with an unlocked door for easy pickings, maybe hoping to find an elderly person who keeps their door unlocked because they have difficulty answering it or something. The vest probably helps make him look less suspicious to neighbors too - somebody happens to see him out their window, sees him walk into a house but he's got the vest on so it's ok.

Very strange how he kept looking back when walking away. Maybe he was trying to figure out if somebody was actually home (he may have thought the porch light was a motion light) or maybe he was hoping if he kept his cool you may be tricked into letting your guard down and calling after him? Very odd.

With my luck, a would-be criminal would walk up onto my wooden porch, fall through (it needs to be replaced) and sue me.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
So what is the lesson we learned from this incident?

Do NOT look for missing teeth on the ground, because it is obvious that he was there to steal it and get the $1 for himself from the tooth fairy.

On a serious note - glad he left your house and nothing happened..

Now I will share. I once had a similar situation actually, about 8 years or so ago. I was sitting in my living room watching tv, probably around the same time 6 or 7pm and I just happen to glance over at my front door and see a tall thin old Black man (had to be 70 something) just gazing into my house. I walked up to him and I gave a nice little hand flip signal like "yo dawg whatchu want?"

He then stared some more and walked down my steps and away from my house.

Pretty standard for Shirley I guess....

Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Loved the last sentence LOL first laugh I've had since this happened yesterday. I plan on telling neighbors just waiting for hubby to come home from work so he could come with me.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
If someone comes to my door that I do not know, I talk to them through a window first before answering the door. I never open the door blindly unless I'm expecting someone.

On a few occasions when it was a teen selling for a fundraiser, I've mentioned to them that they might get more people to answer the door and get more donations if they came during the day instead of after dark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island