Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM

86 posts, read 233,896 times

Advertisements

Our family has spent the last 6-7 months looking at homes in Garden City and Rockville Centre - we have three small children (5, 3 and 1) so public schools, community as well as a daily commute to NYC are important to us - probably in that order as well. We haven't found 'the home' for us yet but we are torn between the two areas. We can get a bigger home and more property in RVC - and pay about the same in taxes. Houses in GC in our price range would need updating as well ( kitch, baths etc,). When all said and done it's about a $150-200k premium upfront for us to live in GC. just wondering what are everyone's thoughts about raising a family in the two areas and is it really worth that much more to live in GC ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM

840 posts, read 2,437,673 times
though neither appeals to me, I prefer rvc all around-style of homes, proximity to beaches/shopping/nightlife of some kind, etc. both heavily irish-catholic and I would guess there is more money and the attitude that goes with it floating around garden city.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 AM

additionally, I don't think buying a house that needs updating is a great idea unless you have unlimited time and money. Our first home was tiny as can be and still cost upwards of 40k to update just in order to sell. Just bought a home that really needs no work and I think it was the best route to go.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM

86 posts, read 233,896 times
Agree on the updating front - don't really know exactly what the cost may run up to - once you start getting into older plumbing and electricity it may require additional work to bring up to code when dealing with older homes.

Any others ? RVC or GC ?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 AM

909 posts, read 1,829,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieInLongIsland View Post
Agree on the updating front - don't really know exactly what the cost may run up to - once you start getting into older plumbing and electricity it may require additional work to bring up to code when dealing with older homes.

Any others ? RVC or GC ?
Both great...RVC a little more cozy.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 PM

9,922 posts, read 23,048,532 times
Such a personal decision!

In RVC, not only does your choice seem to be "move-in" ready (don't underestimate the benefit of that!), but you get more "elbow room" because the lots most likely are larger, which equates to more yard for your growing kids to play in and have friends over.

What life style are you looking for for you and your family? That would probably make the decision for you right there

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM

110 posts, read 225,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Such a personal decision!

In RVC, not only does your choice seem to be "move-in" ready (don't underestimate the benefit of that!), but you get more "elbow room" because the lots most likely are larger, which equates to more yard for your growing kids to play in and have friends over.

What life style are you looking for for you and your family? That would probably make the decision for you right there

Good luck, whatever you decide!
No disrespect, but your information is wrong....you probably get more land in garden city than you do in rvc...most lots in rvc are 40, 50 or 60 x 100...i know, because I've lived in Rockville Centre my whole life....so if your looking for lot size and room for your family to grow and play, then i would suggest garden city...BUT, there are of course lots that are bigger in RVC but you have to pay for them...just like in GC...

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

276 posts, read 979,858 times
I much prefer Garden City. Location is much better IMO and that would be my main reason, but I do have other reasons that I would choose GC over RVC. I also believe the parks and recreation center/pool blow away anything RVC has to offer. Many parks in GC, which would work out great with 3 small children.

With RVC, I am not a fan of Sunrise hgwy being your restaurant and shopping hub. Def not walkable with small children whereas 7th St and Franklin ave in GC is much more family friendly IMO.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM

not much good over there except waterooi imo

Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 PM

22,623 posts, read 36,568,066 times
G.c. rec Dept is great but there is NO rec center....rvc wins on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island