Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
As usual, our small group of resident police critics has taken a snippet of incomplete information from that famously accurate local newspaper and run with it to the point of complete hysteria.

To set the record straight, the Newsday article fails to mention that the proposed payout (and in particular the example cited) depends solely on the amount of days that an individual officer has banked throughout his twenty year career. If he has not banked unused vacation, comp time or sick leave, his payout will be substantially lower than the cited example. There is no automatic payout of 2.5 times base salary. Period.

Now let the nonsense begin ...
Sorry for making tongue in cheek comments based on what they "failed" to mention. It's that defensive stance of yours that any good crime fighter can tell is a sign of a guilty conscience.

It continues to be disingenuous to call anyone who thinks salaries and benefits are too high a "police critic." That's just utter crap. My buddy is the first to laugh and admit $202k is crazy money. He's not giving it back and he absolutely WILL NOT retire while he's taking in bucks like that. We just nudge the dinner bill towards him at the end of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sorry for making tongue in cheek comments based on what they "failed" to mention. It's that defensive stance of yours that any good crime fighter can tell is a sign of a guilty conscience.

It continues to be disingenuous to call anyone who thinks salaries and benefits are too high a "police critic." That's just utter crap. My buddy is the first to laugh and admit $202k is crazy money. He's not giving it back and he absolutely WILL NOT retire while he's taking in bucks like that. We just nudge the dinner bill towards him at the end of the night.
Yeah, I'm sure you really have a cop buddy.

With your obvious HATRED for cops, how can anyone believe that one of NCPD's highly educated supermen would even consider breaking bread with such a plebian as yourself? You could only hope to have reached the level of accomplishment to be allowed to grace the presence of these veritable renaissance knights in shining armor. Only PHD's need apply to this upper crust.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you really have a cop buddy.

With your obvious HATRED for cops, how can anyone believe that one of NCPD's highly educated supermen would even consider breaking bread with such a plebian as yourself? You could only hope to have reached the level of accomplishment to be allowed to grace the presence of these veritable renaissance knights in shining armor. Only PHD's need apply to this upper crust.

Well actually he doesn't pick up the dinner tab. Whines about his Harley payment. He does give us superior officer cards for xmas every few years. At my last bbq I introduced all the LE guys to each other (Air Marshall, NCPD LT., couple of court officers, NYPD sgt) and they congregated together all day like a ladies book club. I still bust their chops about it. Elitist punks. "No ribs for you!" Back on topic, the NCPD guy makes close to triple what the other guys make. In fairness he is a higher ranking officer but even as a patrolman he made close to double.

Last edited by mongoose65; 02-21-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Double dipping? That's nothing. A friend of mine has 3 pensions coming to him, 1 federal, one state, and one town. Triple dipping is the new double. Once you get your nose into this taxpayer feeding trough, you can really do quite well for yourself.
Oh, I am hopelessly behind when it comes to things like this!

Double dipping? What a sap. Now it's triple dipping!

What do I know about these things sitting here in the private sector.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Where's haywood? This thread should be right up his alley ...

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Once you get into the "know" of political patronage, there are all kinds of little part time things you can get hooked up with. It's quite astounding.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

Re-read my post carefully. I'm not taking any stance other than to offer more accurate information. The "police critics" in these threads are ready to pounce on anything they can to demonize cops. More often than not, it's an agenda. And more often than not, those same folks aren't interested in accurate and factual information.

Bottom line is that folks here should be doing a bit more research before seizing on flawed Newsday articles to try and make a point.

And you might want to forego the psychoanalysis. You're not that good.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in your dreams an NCPD superhero graced you with his presence. When these people aren't doing traffic stops, they are doing Jason Bourne style espionage. The NCPD guy took your ribs so quickly that you didn't even see him do it..probably got your wife too. They hire just anybody for these elite positions, you know.
I've never seen anyone so bitter about poor career choices. I wonder how your civil service wife puts up with your frustrations and disappointments.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Still haven't answered the question, princess. What do you think the definition of double dipping is?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
As usual, our small group of resident police critics has taken a snippet of incomplete information from that famously accurate local newspaper and run with it to the point of complete hysteria.

To set the record straight, the Newsday article fails to mention that the proposed payout (and in particular the example cited) depends solely on the amount of days that an individual officer has banked throughout his twenty year career. If he has not banked unused vacation, comp time or sick leave, his payout will be substantially lower than the cited example. There is no automatic payout of 2.5 times base salary. Period.

Now let the nonsense begin ...
I don't think anyone's a police critic, but it's hard to ignore the "other side" of the high-tax problem. Does it really make financial sense expanding these already generous severance packages when most NCPD officers are going out with a nice pension anyway? I was wrong in supporting Mangano for doing this 2 years ago. I thought the math made sense giving an incentive for the ultra high $200k+ earners to retire, and replacing them with officers earning 1/4th of that...but look what's happened since then -- the $200k+ earners are right back on the payrolls according to seethroughny. I counted something like 50-60 officers making $199k to $250k in 2011. 2010 had about 20 earning $199k to $220k.

It's so obvious the precinct change is ALL about getting around the minimum manning requirements that have put Nassau in a stranglehold. I think this will be a defining moment for Carver..all the rhetoric on burglaries rising, "we are putting the residents in danger" is baloney. Combine to make larger precincts and the archaic minimum manning rules are easily solved. They don't make us any safer. All they do is cost Nassau A LOT more money in unnecessary Overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island