Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
2nd PCT is in Woodbury, FYI. I think the poster meant West for Elmont.

I think you need 4 for Nassau. One for each quadrant, NW, SW, NE, SE.
Sorry, yes it is Woodbury. Thanks for not Greenspaning me.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Sorry, yes it is Woodbury. Thanks for not Greenspaning me.
No problem. I wouldnt want to be mapped to death either.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
First of all they are not closing Precincts, just removing administrative staff of around 100 which I think are mostly police officers. Officers on patrol remain the same, the county to reduce expenses by eliminating positions that tend to run up overtime by minimum staffing rules agreed to in a prior contract.

The republicans need 3 democrats to approve the move but seems like they are opposed. The PBA does not want to lose 100 positions and the associated overtime due to minimum staffing so they are claiming a safety issue. Since there is the same amount of police on the street I really don't see the issue.

That's the way it goes in NC, democrats,republicans vote along party lines and has little to do with common sense. I have not heard a credible argument to the contrary.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
First of all they are not closing Precincts, just removing administrative staff of around 100 which I think are mostly police officers. Officers on patrol remain the same, the county to reduce expenses by eliminating positions that tend to run up overtime by minimum staffing rules agreed to in a prior contract.

The republicans need 3 democrats to approve the move but seems like they are opposed. The PBA does not want to lose 100 positions and the associated overtime due to minimum staffing so they are claiming a safety issue. Since there is the same amount of police on the street I really don't see the issue.

That's the way it goes in NC, democrats,republicans vote along party lines and has little to do with common sense. I have not heard a credible argument to the contrary.
Except that now the cops will have to go further to start their tours or to process arrests since they wont be able to do that in the new centers they are proposing.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As it is most of the North Shore villages have their own police departments so the NCPD presence up north is quite small compared to say in the Elmont or Baldwin areas. In fact it looks like the NCPD's days on the North Shore are numbered ... several villages have dropped their NCPD contracts over the past few years.
Well, in truth NONE have, but...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Except that now the cops will have to go further to start their tours or to process arrests since they wont be able to do that in the new centers they are proposing.
I am sure there are some begin their tours at the precinct but most begin at other locations, village halls, parks, arrests may be another story but the travel time to Hewlett vs Elmont may in some cases be shorter, others may be longer.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
It's not a done deal. In fact, the vote was postponed until Monday.

[URL="http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=8559114"]Nassau County postpones vote on precinct closings | 7online.com[/URL]

The public isn't entirely behind the proposed cuts, either.

[URL="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Nassau-County-Fifth-Police-Precinct-Closure-Valley-Stream-Residents-Concerns-140096833.html"]Residents Voice Concerns Over Proposed Police Precinct Closure | NBC New York[/URL]

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM

84 posts, read 166,357 times
Why have a precinct for a mythical beast called a "police officer" that doesn't really exist in Nassau County anyway? I mean do you see any of them pulling over any of the aggressive savages on our roadways? Of course not, how can they, they don't exist!

Nonexistent police equals Nonexistent precinct. It's fundamentally rational, which is the opposite of what we have now.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

The public isn't entirely behind the proposed cuts, either.

Residents Voice Concerns Over Proposed Police Precinct Closure | NBC New York
The majority of people in Nassau are behind this. The "public", no matter how anyone tries to spin it, is not represented by the few dozen people who live down the block from the precinct and showed up to protest. If they want to pay the $5 Million/yr of extra salaries sitting at desk jobs at the 5th pct, then those people protesting should chip in to keep the precinct in its current form.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
Why have a precinct for a mythical beast called a "police officer" that doesn't really exist in Nassau County anyway? I mean do you see any of them pulling over any of the aggressive savages on our roadways? Of course not, how can they, they don't exist!

Nonexistent police equals Nonexistent precinct. It's fundamentally rational, which is the opposite of what we have now.
Another dozen "serious accident situations" tonight between Bethpage and Farmingdale, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island