Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I believe their previous base was 98.

Also, cops don't work 5 day work weeks every week, and there are paid holidays where if you work you're making double pay. That 108K assumes you are going to have off on the 4th of July..meanwhile almost everyone works so that's an extra days pay. It adds up very quickly.

From the NCPD website

<LI class=style1>*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. <LI class=style1>10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
You are 100% correct dman, but even with those extras you are going to need OT to hit the 150k mark.

Look im not denying the fact the police are very well paid but your average beat cop isnt living in sands point either. I think people make too big a deal over the salaries. Now the police administrators (and school administrators for that matter) that make more than the gov. of NY and walk away with 300k + and insanely padded pensions, that is a problem that should be addressed.

Last edited by peconic117; 03-12-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
You are 100% correct dman, but even with those extras you are going to need OT to hit the 150k mark.
Right, just not as much as some people would want you to believe.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I believe their previous base was 98.

Also, cops don't work 5 day work weeks every week, and there are paid holidays where if you work you're making double pay. That 108K assumes you are going to have off on the 4th of July..meanwhile almost everyone works so that's an extra days pay. It adds up very quickly.

From the NCPD website

<LI class=style1>*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. <LI class=style1>10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
As usual, some clarifications are needed to your statements.

#1 Cops don't work a 5 day work week. While that's true, you should include that they work scheduled 12 hour shifts. (They're not like teachers who have more than three months a year off and work scheduled 6 hour days.) While the whole of time and leave for the police department is figured out in hours, not days, their average workweek is closer to 5 days than you might believe.

#2 Everyone works on 4th of July. Simply not true. Whether or not you're working on a holiday is mostly determined by whether you're scheduled to work that day on your duty chart. The same goes for other holidays. And if you've ever had to work Christmas year after year after year, then you might understand why there is extra pay for working holidays while everyone else is home with their families.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of cops is making nowhere near 150K in base salary and holiday pay alone. There is, however, a lot overtime being earned because of the shortage of personnel. If the county would hire cops(who start at less than 35K per year), the overtime would be significantly reduced. And nobody would have anything to whine about on these threads.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
[quote=pdcnret;23371227]They're not like teachers who have more than three months a year off

I laugh my ass off every time someone makes this statement. If you are strictly looking at a calendar, then yes. The ones that use this argument to complain never look at the fact teachers do not make overtime, do tons of work before and after hours, and even in the summer are working on curriculum and such for the following year. They have to deal with ******* kids and parents on almost a daily basis. I would so love to see the ones that think teacher have it made, just try and attempt to do what they do. You wouldn't last a week. And I am not a teacher, nor do I want to be by any means. I do know a lot of teachers, and they work their asses off. As stated, it is the administrators that should be looked at, closely.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
As usual, some clarifications are needed to your statements.

#1 Cops don't work a 5 day work week. While that's true, you should include that they work scheduled 12 hour shifts. (They're not like teachers who have more than three months a year off and work scheduled 6 hour days.) While the whole of time and leave for the police department is figured out in hours, not days, their average workweek is closer to 5 days than you might believe.

#2 Everyone works on 4th of July. Simply not true. Whether or not you're working on a holiday is mostly determined by whether you're scheduled to work that day on your duty chart. The same goes for other holidays. And if you've ever had to work Christmas year after year after year, then you might understand why there is extra pay for working holidays while everyone else is home with their families.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of cops is making nowhere near 150K in base salary and holiday pay alone. There is, however, a lot overtime being earned because of the shortage of personnel. If the county would hire cops(who start at less than 35K per year), the overtime would be significantly reduced. And nobody would have anything to whine about on these threads.
That's about as close as we've come to agreeing on anything in history. The Mayan apocalypse is near indeed.

Is the normal duty chart alternating 3 and 4 days on with 2 days off? If that's the case, that makes up for the 12 hours shifts.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
[quote=veryangry;23372364]
Quote:
They're not like teachers who have more than three months a year off

I laugh my ass off every time someone makes this statement. If you are strictly looking at a calendar, then yes. The ones that use this argument to complain never look at the fact teachers do not make overtime, do tons of work before and after hours, and even in the summer are working on curriculum and such for the following year. They have to deal with ******* kids and parents on almost a daily basis. I would so love to see the ones that think teacher have it made, just try and attempt to do what they do. You wouldn't last a week. And I am not a teacher, nor do I want to be by any means. I do know a lot of teachers, and they work their asses off. As stated, it is the administrators that should be looked at, closely.
I'm lauging my a$$ off now. I know lots of teachers. The honest ones admit they have a cushy gig. The less honest ones usually are union reps or officers and maintain all that party line BS you listed above. Yeah, my kids KG teacher who makes $121k is working lots of OT grading papers! Ha. She's good, I like her, but she's got it made and she'd be the 1st to tell you.

Quote:
There is, however, a lot overtime being earned because of the shortage of personnel. If the county would hire cops(who start at less than 35K per year), the overtime would be significantly reduced. And nobody would have anything to whine about on these threads.
All good and fair points but I must wonder how much of that OT is part of maintaining a system that is dependent on padding pensions?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
[quote=mongoose65;23373008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post

I'm lauging my a$$ off now. I know lots of teachers. The honest ones admit they have a cushy gig. The less honest ones usually are union reps or officers and maintain all that party line BS you listed above. Yeah, my kids KG teacher who makes $121k is working lots of OT grading papers! Ha. She's good, I like her, but she's got it made and she'd be the 1st to tell you.
The teachers I know that work their asses off are far from union reps, in fact they think the union is pretty much useless and doesn't do a thing to benefit them at all. Sure there will be some that do nothing and collect a nice paycheck, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm. Your example of you kids KG teacher is giving all the others a bad rap.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:17 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Hiring more cops is not the answer until the currently workforce at the top of the pay scale are willing to forego raises. The NC police budget is ~$330 million. Nassau has allocated more than enough dollars to provide a robust policing organization. The outstanding problem is how those monies are distributed in the organization.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
[quote=veryangry;23373369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

The teachers I know that work their asses off are far from union reps, in fact they think the union is pretty much useless and doesn't do a thing to benefit them at all. Sure there will be some that do nothing and collect a nice paycheck, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm. Your example of you kids KG teacher is giving all the others a bad rap.
I don't believe I'm giving anyone a bad rap. They get a much worse rap when people say what a hard job it is and act like they are coal miners when we are all intelligent enough to know they are extremely well compensated with stellar benefits here on LI for what the job entails. We vote those budgets and have no one to blame (except the lawyers who work both sides of the negotiating fence), but if you want to throw salt in the taxpayer's wounds by saying..."eww, it's so hard...you wouldn't last one week doing that job," expect some backlash. It can be a challenging job. Working with kids all day is tough. That's why it's called work. Most teachers on LI consider it a dream job and know what a great situation they have, even the ones making the starting salary.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And the majority of those that do hit 150k had to work 30-40k worth of overtime to get there. Nassau for instance current top pay (108k) takes 8 years to hit. Almost a decade.
You need to include sergeants, lieutenants, etc in the mix who are paid a higher base salary.

Overtime, uniform allowance, 12% shift differential are above the base. Adding 20-40 percent to your base salary through OT is a luxury, most would give anything to have that opportunity. When you include 26 sick days, up to 5 blood days (if they give blood they can get a day off), 5 personal days, 13 holidays (they even get flag day), 28 vacation days and rigid work rules, overtime becomes a fact of life to cover the shifts with that many days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island