U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 AM

372 posts, read 379,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
This thread topic has been discussed so many times how teachers, cops, etc. make too much money on Long Island and it's hurting our wallets.

It's a simple fact why, COL on Long Island is extremely expensive. Government jobs adjust their salaries according to COL. The reason why teachers get paid much less in places like North Carolina or Las Vegas is because the COL is much lower.

I say stop complaining about the taxes. If you're complaining how taxes and the cost of amenities are so high then Long Island and move some place where the COL is much more reasonable.

Bottom line, Long Island is one of those places in the United States where it's a nice place to live as long as you can afford it. You will most likely not be comfortable on Long Island if you make at minimum $70-90K and $100K+ for families these days.
Problem is, the COL of living is high because property taxes. Teachers argue that they need to be paid more, because COL, yet there the ones that keep increasing the COL of Long Island.

$100K/year can easily swing, a mortgage, childcare, two vacations a year, and pretty much living very comfortable or just about everywhere in the entire Country. ADD in property taxes and you are struggling on that $100K/year here when you add in $12K/year taxes. $100K with a $250K mortgage isn't so bad but add $1K/month on top of your mortgage and it's squeezing peoples disposable incomes.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,303,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Problem is, the COL of living is high because property taxes. Teachers argue that they need to be paid more, because COL, yet there the ones that keep increasing the COL of Long Island.

$100K/year can easily swing, a mortgage, childcare, two vacations a year, and pretty much living very comfortable or just about everywhere in the entire Country. ADD in property taxes and you are struggling on that $100K/year here when you add in $12K/year taxes. $100K with a $250K mortgage isn't so bad but add $1K/month on top of your mortgage and it's squeezing peoples disposable incomes.
There is much more to the cost of living than property taxes: Everything from gasoline to groceries to insurance to utilities makes living here expensive. Those things, which are the result of this being a densely populated area and an island with limited space for expansion, will not change should you make it so that teachers cannot afford them.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM

7,260 posts, read 7,412,378 times
Quote:
This thread topic has been discussed so many times how teachers, cops, etc. make too much money on Long Island and it's hurting our wallets.

It's a simple fact why, COL on Long Island is extremely expensive. Government jobs adjust their salaries according to COL. The reason why teachers get paid much less in places like North Carolina or Las Vegas is because the COL is much lower.

I say stop complaining about the taxes. If you're complaining how taxes and the cost of amenities are so high then Long Island and move some place where the COL is much more reasonable.

Bottom line, Long Island is one of those places in the United States where it's a nice place to live as long as you can afford it. You will most likely not be comfortable on Long Island if you make at minimum $70-90K and $100K+ for families these days.
"Government jobs adjust their salaries according to COL.

You're mixing cops and teachers up with some other government workers. They adjust their salaries in an ever escalating fashion based on arbitrated contracts, not what the government has decided is necessary to staff these positions. These are VERY different situations that lead to ever escalating salaries, which is the result of laws passed by the state which are very favorable to municipal unions.

As for your numbers regarding affordability, people in those income levels have little hope of ever owning a home or saving for retirement. Meanwhile police and teachers have guaranteed pensions in addition to making more than the median family income.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM

7,260 posts, read 7,412,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
There is much more to the cost of living than property taxes: Everything from gasoline to groceries to insurance to utilities makes living here expensive. Those things, which are the result of this being a densely populated area and an island with limited space for expansion, will not change should you make it so that teachers cannot afford them.

And those costs amount to next to very little compared to a 10K property tax bill.

The crux of the argument is this: you don't need to pay these people as much as you do to get these services. If you lowered base police salary from 100K down to 75K..you'd have 95% of the same police force we have now. If you maxed out teacher pay at 95K instead of 125-130..you'd have 95% of the same people.

If you honestly think that cops and teachers would quit in droves because of these reductions, what is that based on? Is the cop going to go to a security firm and make $12 an hour out of spite?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM

239 posts, read 225,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post

Sorry but most of what you said is incorrect. I agree with the Yzette said that COL is may more than just taxes. Insurance is sky high on Long Island (particularly auto insurance), gas is way more expensive here than most other parts of the country, even groceries are more expensive here, and of course housing is overpriced as well.

$100K per year will not get you mortgage, childcare, two vacations a year on Long Island at all. Yes other parts of the country but we're talking about Long Island. At just $100K a family may be able to get a house, but not a desirable house IMO. Forget childcare and two vacations. I know people who make $100K+ on Long Island and they can't even afford to take a vacation once a year because of all the other high costs of living here, not just taxes.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,051,087 times
Quote:

Nice logic. Explain that to the businesses that are leaving because taxes are too prohibitive to be competitive and wages must rise incomprehensibly to keep talented workers. THEY are the 1st ones going to NC and Florida and taking the tax base and jobs with them, which just leaves fewer of us here to support the inflated public salaries and pensions.

I love people who's logic is "don't complain, just leave" then wonder why the cost of living is UP but the standard of living is DOWN.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM

239 posts, read 225,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And those costs amount to next to very little compared to a 10K property tax bill.

The crux of the argument is this: you don't need to pay these people as much as you do to get these services. If you lowered base police salary from 100K down to 75K..you'd have 95% of the same police force we have now. If you maxed out teacher pay at 95K instead of 125-130..you'd have 95% of the same people.

If you honestly think that cops and teachers would quit in droves because of these reductions, what is that based on? Is the cop going to go to a security firm and make $12 an hour out of spite?
They may not see a shortage of cops and teachers much. But $95K is peanuts for Long Island, especially if you have a family. If I moved back here I would never take a job that pays less than $100K or have a combined income of less than $175-$200K if I had a family. It's hard to believe the median income here for the middle class is only about $80K-$90K.

Like I said, if you can't afford it between the taxes and other high costs, you move.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

95 posts, read 99,782 times
Quote:
Sorry but most of what you said is incorrect. I agree with the Yzette said that COL is may more than just taxes. Insurance is sky high on Long Island (particularly auto insurance), gas is way more expensive here than most other parts of the country, even groceries are more expensive here, and of course housing is overpriced as well.

$100K per year will not get you mortgage, childcare, two vacations a year on Long Island at all. Yes other parts of the country but we're talking about Long Island. At just $100K a family may be able to get a house, but not a desirable house IMO. Forget childcare and two vacations. I know people who make $100K+ on Long Island and they can't even afford to take a vacation once a year because of all the other high costs of living here, not just taxes.
While I do agree with you on the cost of living issue, I have to say that you can live a considerably comfortable life on Long Island for that salary. It can be done. It just depends on what one considers comfortable. If comfortable = having every cable channel in existence, brand new cars, a 400K + home, big vacations more than once a year, and eating out all the time... then no. You can't live a comfortable life.

If by comfortable you mean having everything you "need" and some extras, then yes. It's totally doable. It's all perspective.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,303,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you honestly think that cops and teachers would quit in droves because of these reductions, what is that based on?
Please show me where I said that.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM

131 posts, read 133,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I think teachers and cops deserve there money. We can't keep having rich people screw private sector workers, only to have them point to the people making more.

How much money to people on Wall Street make? How easy is it to get one of their jobs? I know from experience that business students aren't your brightest, which explains a LOT. These people should be paid less than Nassau cops. And people on Wall Street never produce a thing.
If you think teacher's deserve top dollar then, by all means, pay the portion of my taxes I am forced to pay for their salaries....for which I apparently have no say about (as they work banker's days/hours and complain that they work as hard as people in private industry). Are you forced to pay for anyone's salaries on Wall Street...NO. Does anyone else on this planet get "tenure" for a job protecting them from charges of incompetence...no. See the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island