U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM

239 posts, read 212,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Teachers and Schools on Long Island DO NOT deserve every penny they get. Get this straight. The Gravy Train is over! We cannot pay anymore property taxes. People are leaving Long Island in droves for other states. Isn't it interesting that other states have good schools and great colleges with lower costs. "Wake up and smell the bankruptcy, honey!"
Why not leave Long Island when you could move to the beautiful beaches in Miami, live in the perfect weather of San Diego, or beautiful mountains of Denver?

Plus they're school taxes are lower there so former Long Islanders should love it.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM

748 posts, read 561,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Teachers and Schools on Long Island DO NOT deserve every penny they get. Get this straight. The Gravy Train is over! We cannot pay anymore property taxes. People are leaving Long Island in droves for other states. Isn't it interesting that other states have good schools and great colleges with lower costs. "Wake up and smell the bankruptcy, honey!"
I heard teachers don't pay property taxes.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM

7,898 posts, read 2,384,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I heard teachers don't pay property taxes.
Incorrect, but health care and pensions are another story.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Hey anybody here realize that teachers pay into their own salary, by paying school taxes?

How many jobs can you find where you pay for your salary.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Gosh, 1.5 months a year, free health care, free pensions, 145K, no property taxes (my sister's cousin's ex-wife told me she knows a teacher who does not pay property taxes), sounds almost unbelieveable.
I already said teachers pay property tax, you are incorrect on that issue.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM

77 posts, read 57,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Are you assuming that's what their salary is, or have you looked it up on SeeThroughNY :: Home

?
I have seen their W2s, we also have had conversations between friends/family similar to the ones on here where everyone thinks they make $$$$. So they are always first to show off their proof of millions, lol!
Also on see through NY the teachers salaries are not correct as shown. Ask any teacher if their w2 matches that web sight, I doubt it.

We do know two teachers retiring this year and next who make in the $130s. They have both been teaching for 35 years and coaching for more than 10. Coaching a high school sport is a year round commitment that requires much more time, dedication and physical and emotional energy then is ever made back in salary.
None of the teachers we know or are related to are working in affluent districts..... it's quite the opposite.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,957,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
I have seen their W2s, we also have had conversations between friends/family similar to the ones on here where everyone thinks they make $$$$. So they are always first to show off their proof of millions, lol!
Also on see through NY the teachers salaries are not correct as shown. Ask any teacher if their w2 matches that web sight, I doubt it.

We do know two teachers retiring this year and next who make in the $130s. They have both been teaching for 35 years and coaching for more than 10. Coaching a high school sport is a year round commitment that requires much more time, dedication and physical and emotional energy then is ever made back in salary.
None of the teachers we know or are related to are working in affluent districts..... it's quite the opposite.
You're not the first person who has noticed that SeeThroughNY's numbers are not always correct. Maybe they call it "SeeThrough" because there are so many holes in it?

Last edited by Yzette; 02-29-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: "You're" not "your." Good grief!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Your not the first person who has noticed that SeeThroughNY's numbers are not always correct. Maybe they call it "SeeThrough" because there are so many holes in it?
Those figures are acquired from the districts, there may be some inacurracies but from my experience they are accurate, what order of error are we talking about, $1000? Please share your experience. I didn't hear Carol Hankin arguing about misinformation about her salary.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM

Please I'm so tired of all these ridiculous threads complaining how LI taxes are too high, cops get paid too much, teachers get paid too much, along with the other false comments like teachers do no work, teachers get free healthcare.

If you're all so upset about it why do you actually take some action on it instead of spending all this time writing and responding to threads?

Like I said LI has an extremely high COL for various reasons. Not just in taxes but all the other amenities here are much higher than most other parts of the United States. If it hurts your wallet, you move. There is no point in living some place you can't afford.

It's only natural that LI has such a high COL. If LI had a reasonable/moderate COL in all areas including so many people would be moving here..and we would have another 1-2 million population increase that Long Island physically can't handle because it's an island and there is limited space to expand.

Plus what is with all the hatred toward teacher, cops, LIRR workers, unions, salaries etc.? As I said there is more than just taxes that are sky high on LI. What about the cost of housing? Why is that never mentioned? It costs at least $400K in many parts of Long Island to have a decent size house. In other parts of the country you can get the same house for $150K. I think people would save a lot more money with lower mortgages than lower taxes IMO. If anything, people are leaving LI because they can't afford a decent house in a decent area, not because of the taxes (although this is probably not the case currently since the housing market took a dump).

Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM

1,812 posts, read 1,304,795 times
Default I don't want to hear about School District money problems.

I just got a text from a person who attended the South Country School District budget meeting. The SD is spending around $100,000 for just transportation for ONE STUDENT. Is there anyone around that actually looks through these expenditures and brings in any sort of common sense? Seems to me like they just love to spend taxpayer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island