Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM

4,696 posts, read 8,740,921 times

Advertisements

I can certainly understand people who like the quality of life out there. There's a lot to like about that part of the island. But if the rural experience is what you desire, you can get it elsewhere for a LOT less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM

239 posts, read 508,458 times
The biggest con IMO about way out east on LI is the isolation. It can take you at least 2 or more hours to get to NYC or the mainland by car.

But eastern LI is extremely nice and peaceful.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM

11,608 posts, read 12,654,377 times
I wish that I could afford it. I would love to live there year-round.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,748,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I wish that I could afford it. I would love to live there year-round.
Me too - don't know why everyone obsesses over how long it takes to drive to the city.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM

20,902 posts, read 28,329,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
The biggest con IMO about way out east on LI is the isolation. It can take you at least 2 or more hours to get to NYC or the mainland by car.

But eastern LI is extremely nice and peaceful.
I'd love isolation, would love to get away from the hustle and bustle these days.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,145,566 times
The NoFo really is a slice of heaven.

Breathtaking.

Crooks

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,145,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I often drive out to Orient Point to take the ferry over to CT. During the drive I see so many nice houses and neighborhoods but I have to wonder: why live so far from everything?
I grew up in Nassau
county so once the island starts looking a bit rural like in Long Island wine country, it seems so odd to think people would want to live there year round. You're literally hours from an airport, NYC, or just travelling out of state (w/ the exception of CT - ferry). Other than employment, retirement, or an extreme desire for quiet and seclusion, I really can't fathom wanting to buy a house along one the forks let alone the east points (Montauk or Orient).
For anyone who does live and not just vacation rents in these areas, what made you want to live there? This is more for sheer curiosity than an interest in buying a house.

Nasholes.
; )

They just dont get it.
Its probably whats kept the area beautiful.

I really cant figure out why NYC's elite arent Summering in Hicksville.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-01-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM

251 posts, read 587,603 times
Its all about what you are used to......

1) I grew up on the north fork. Graduated high school in 96', went away to college at 18. Swore I would graduate and never return to the boring ole' east end..... Perhaps live up in mid to western suffolk and work in the city or nassau.

2) Graduated, lived with some friends in mid suffolk, had some fun, but got sick and tired of how terrible the traffic, people and how generally run down nassau and suffolk looked.

3) Moved back out east and couldnt be happier ( aside from housing prices and taxes that is ).

My point, to each their own......but all of you westerners and 212's can have it and please dont come out to visit.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,403,535 times
I have traditionally been a city person (including liivng in Queens and Manhattan) and otherwise an edge-city or near-suburb person . . . yet I wouldn't mind frequenting Eastern Long Island on a regular or semi-regular basis (even having a retreat or second home there). It is beautiful and peaceful and besides, with the varied Hamptons + Riverhead + Montauk + Greenport, you are not outright cut off from civilization. No, it is not the big city nor even like central Nassau (i.e., the most urban-like parts of central or western Nassau such as Hempstead Village, Garden City, Mineola, East Garden City, Carle Place, Westbury Village, Hicksville, Rockville Centre, Long Beach, Great Neck, et al) and yet I find the East End to consist of reasonably enriching towns/villages/municipalities (i.e., the varied Hamptons + Riverhead + Montauk + Greenport) with good shopping, recreation and nightlife, culture, hospitals, libraries, colleges, et al. It is remote and yet not really the same as being in a wholly rural or wilderness remote area. To me, Eastern Long Island can be more fittingly called the "exurbs" or "exurban" rather than "wholly rural".

Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 AM

84 posts, read 165,866 times
Living on the East End during the winter can't be much fun, and living there in the summer can't be much fun either with all the crazy traffic. Last summer I went to visit a friend in Bridgehampton and the bumper-to-bumper traffic at the end of Sunrise Highway went on for miles and miles. On the North Fork it's pretty much the same as the roads are still the same width as there were in the 1950's.

Whenever I head east in the summer I use my motorcycle, because I know I'm going to have to find a way around miles and miles of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island