Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times

Advertisements

Spot on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I can certainly understand people who like the quality of life out there. There's a lot to like about that part of the island. But if the rural experience is what you desire, you can get it elsewhere for a LOT less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
I can certainly understand people who like the quality of life out there. There's a lot to like about that part of the island. But if the rural experience is what you desire, you can get it elsewhere for a LOT less money.
But you can't get the same thing elsewhere...

where can you beach, farms, vineyards and shopping close by? I don't agree.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM

82 posts, read 260,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post

Exactly, that's the whole point. There's not too many places where you can combine farms and vineyards with the most beautiful beaches and harbors.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post

Well I am with you on this what the far east end has to offer is perfectly fine with me and since I mostly shop online except for groceries and the occasional trip to tanger in Deer Park becuase they have a few stores I shop in. I need nothing else. I love farm fresh veggies anyway. I can always go to riverhead Tanger if needed.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM

322 posts, read 937,645 times
I can't believe I forgot about summer traffic out east! All reasons given for living all the way out east on either fork are valid, but I still couldn't see myself living out there year round unless I retired or hit the lottery. But I salute those who do and I kinda wish there were more areas in nassau or western suffolk that had that same laid back feel as the east end. Wouldn't it be great if they got rid of all the malls in Garden City/Westbury and just turned them into park-like lands with some affordable housing? Just leave the restaurants, movie theaters, and Target, lol.
FYI I haven't frequented the hamptons in almost a decade and only make a few visits to wineries in the fall.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I can't believe I forgot about summer traffic out east! All reasons given for living all the way out east on either fork are valid, but I still couldn't see myself living out there year round unless I retired or hit the lottery. But I salute those who do and I kinda wish there were more areas in nassau or western suffolk that had that same laid back feel as the east end. Wouldn't it be great if they got rid of all the malls in Garden City/Westbury and just turned them into park-like lands with some affordable housing? Just leave the restaurants, movie theaters, and Target, lol.
FYI I haven't frequented the hamptons in almost a decade and only make a few visits to wineries in the fall.
Target...lol. The last town you will find any commercial chain store/restaurants in is Southampton. Last Target is Riverhead on either fork.

as far as the year round thing....like you said not very ideal for a normal working class person - but if I won the lottery it would be my first order of business to move out there.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Well I am with you on this what the far east end has to offer is perfectly fine with me and since I mostly shop online except for groceries and the occasional trip to tanger in Deer Park becuase they have a few stores I shop in. I need nothing else. I love farm fresh veggies anyway. I can always go to riverhead Tanger if needed.
I am in total accord with the posts from Lubby and Ydsavaged with this. I love the smell of the air out east. To me, it's not really the country as I tend to think of upstate NY wth cows, horses, and a silo on a farm as the country. The east end is too narrow for it too look like the "country" to me. I don't think there are any dairy cows out east, just some bison somewhere. It is unique with a beach culture community combined with agriculture. I also love all the quirky crafts and fine arts on the north fork. There's fishing, boating, vineyards, artsy stuff, and low-scale farming all within a small geographic area. Fresh fish and fresh produce all in the same place. I could manage with the stores to get the "stuff" that I use. Agree with the traffic issue in the summer. One would have schedule one's life around the traffic patterns.

Winning the lottery would be good to make a life there as another poster suggested or making a fantasy come true where I would be this rich freelance writer living there and taking the train into the city once a month to meet with my editor. Oh, please don't wake me up. I am having a nice dream. Maybe, I could make a living by splashing big buckets of paint on a large canvas on the floor of my barn. Oh yeah, that's already been done.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
The east end to me is a small slice of northern connecticut.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
word for word, my thoughts exactly.

but hey, someone's gotta live there.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
While I agree that there are certainly an ample selection of more affordable communities that you could consider if all you wanted was the "rural" experience - I don't know of any that could be considered rural AND and also on the ocean waterfront. I think this unique combination is a "benefit" to anyone whose personality and lifestyle choices draws them to more rural areas - but yet they also have a yearning to be near the ocean waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island