Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/color]

I referenced this in my post above in the link to DMV.
yes, you did, but others keeping posting mis-information about what can and cannot be done.
Yes, pickups can be registered as passenger vehicles (PAS), but there is a procedure to go through.

To the OPs question. If his friend is coming from PA with "TRUCK" plates, these are classified as COMMERCIAL plates for NYS purposes, since we dont have a "TRUCK" plate. With that being said, a "TRUCK" plate is not allowed on a NYS parkway, even if the another pickup of the same type is registered as PAS in NYS.

Like I said, you could get COMMERCIAL plates on a mini-cooper (seen this) and it would disqualify it from using a parkway.
Parkway signs say NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. It doesn't say
"NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES, unless you arent using it for commercial purposes at this moment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
NYS doesnt care what you have in your pickup or whats on the side of it or who its registered to. Businesses can register with passenger or commerical tags.
The name/address/phone thing on the door is for NY City. NYC requires this.
If a business had to register with commercial tags, then every rent a car on the road would have them.

Thats the thing, rental cars and livery can have the name, it's when the ph# and address are added that is makes the vehicle commercial and when the plates are pass and on vehicle with a name, ph# and addy it's called registered out of class, and advertizing of a business with improper plates... NYC demands it also has any leased thru and gvw's also.

rental and cabs may have the business name and even though they are a legitimate business and it is renting cars or a service to move people thats ok.

Meanwhile my crew cab is 7k lbs and i need it to move my family and dogs to go upstate or visit Grandma and it's commercial...

NYS is AFU

The way i see it, business use vehicles or registered to the business is commercial, those limos and vans are just as heavy as my truck, most passenger cars are all over 4400 right now and getting fatter , suv's all knocking on that 5500 lb rule, judging a vehicle by weight for a its vehicle class is kinda dopey.

I have been stopped with my vehicle and it only has a name on the door, however it is not 5500 lbs and not registered to my company nor have comm plates.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Thats the thing, rental cars and livery can have the name, it's when the ph# and address are added that is makes the vehicle commercial and when the plates are pass and on vehicle with a name, ph# and addy it's called registered out of class, and advertizing of a business with improper plates... NYC demands it also has any leased thru and gvw's also.

rental and cabs may have the business name and even though they are a legitimate business and it is renting cars or a service to move people thats ok.

Meanwhile my crew cab is 7k lbs and i need it to move my family and dogs to go upstate or visit Grandma and it's commercial...

NYS is AFU

The way i see it, business use vehicles or registered to the business is commercial, those limos and vans are just as heavy as my truck, most passenger cars are all over 4400 right now and getting fatter , suv's all knocking on that 5500 lb rule, judging a vehicle by weight for a its vehicle class is kinda dopey.

I have been stopped with my vehicle and it only has a name on the door, however it is not 5500 lbs and not registered to my company nor have comm plates.
So you'd have those airport shuttle vans register as commercial and keep them off the parkway even though their primary job is to move people? That doesnt sound right.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
From the link provided above by agw123. Bolding mine...

"It is normally correct to register a truck as a commercial vehicle, even when it is not used for business. For example, many pick-up trucks that are never used for business are registered as commercial vehicles.

There is an exception for some pick-up trucks. The DMV can issue passenger plates for a pick-up truck that is never used for business and weighs 5,500 or fewer pounds."

Moderator cut: snip

You can also make a pickup over 5500lbs a passenger vehicle if you make appropiate changes. There is info on the DMV web site for this too.

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-08-2012 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Moderator cut: snip

You can also make a pickup over 5500lbs a passenger vehicle if you make appropiate changes. There is info on the DMV web site for this too.
That would be this site:
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Vehicle Modifications and Registration Class

I had a friend who went through the NYS trooper academy. He said that failing to make the changes outlined in the link above, if the trooper had a mind to, he could give you a ticket for an improperly registered vehicle too if you were caught on the parkway with non-passenger-plate-qualifying vehicle.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
That would be this site:
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Vehicle Modifications and Registration Class

I had a friend who went through the NYS trooper academy. He said that failing to make the changes outlined in the link above, if the trooper had a mind to, he could give you a ticket for an improperly registered vehicle too if you were caught on the parkway with non-passenger-plate-qualifying vehicle.
Thats why you are supposed to have the changes.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

This is at the entrance of nearly every highway, its sort of hard to miss.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:43 PM

90 posts, read 218,211 times
Yea, but how many know how to read those big signs. They really should be in bilingual! Betcha that will get you out of paying $$$$$

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
A pickup truck with commercial plates is not allowed to travel on the parkways on Long Island. However, a pickup truck registered as a passenger vehicle is allowed on the parkways. And that's a relatively recent changed to the law.
This was in effect in the late 80's early 90's. I had a few pickups over the years and some were registered as passenger vehicles with others as commercial. If you didn't have back seats you could have a closed cap on it and get it registered as passenger back then but as you stated is correct. No commercial vehicles on the parkways.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
FYI:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope....pdf?nd=nysdot

Parkways in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Getting Around on Long Island

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/au...pagewanted=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: