U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM

840 posts, read 1,111,972 times
you have suggestions for other hopping' towns near melville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
The OP stated that they didnt necesarily want to be around a large Indian population, which is why they were leaning against Hicksville. While Hicksville does have a significant Indian population, I wouldnt call it overwhelming.

Why is Huntington the only place to live if as you say "a life is important"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 4,020 times
Thank you all once again, we're leaning towards Huntington, from all your posts it sounds like the nicest place for us on LI. City would be ideal but the commute would be hell. Since Huntington has some hustle bustle to it from the sound of it, proximity to cities with large shopping centers (my wife loves her Target )
Next question, what about daycare recommendations or pre-school recommendations in Huntington? And we're been having a hard time getting realtors to get back to us with some listings, we've been doing Google searches for realtors, any recommendations there as well? Again, we're just looking to rent, not looking at buying anytime soon.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful posts, you all have inspired me to start helping folks on the WI forums!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,655,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalhotra View Post
Thank you all once again, we're leaning towards Huntington, from all your posts it sounds like the nicest place for us on LI. City would be ideal but the commute would be hell. Since Huntington has some hustle bustle to it from the sound of it, proximity to cities with large shopping centers (my wife loves her Target )
Next question, what about daycare recommendations or pre-school recommendations in Huntington? And we're been having a hard time getting realtors to get back to us with some listings, we've been doing Google searches for realtors, any recommendations there as well? Again, we're just looking to rent, not looking at buying anytime soon.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful posts, you all have inspired me to start helping folks on the WI forums!
Realtors arent probably going to help you much for apartments that are in complexs but more likely houses to rent or apartments in existing houses, most of which the legality are questionable. There are very very few areas where basement apartments or subdivided houses are legal, so beware.

If you want apartment complexes you'll need to reach out to those places on your own. Most of the big ones have web pages. We cant post their names on here (I dont think) so if you want them I can DM some if you want.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 4,020 times
That would be helpful if you could DM me, we're looking ideally for townhouses to rent, or then apartments/condos, not looking for a house to rent yet.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,655,603 times
Quote:
That would be helpful if you could DM me, we're looking ideally for townhouses to rent, or then apartments/condos, not looking for a house to rent yet.
Sent you 2 DMs.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM

9,343 posts, read 15,664,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Exactly. Who Mentioned anything about thé "Village" of Farmingdale.
"Farmingdale" means the Village of Farmingdale because there is no other "Farmingdale" than the Village of Farmingdale.

There may be South Farmingdale and East Farmingdale, but they are not "Farmingdale"

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM

325 posts, read 312,240 times
Quote:
That might prove challenging in Huntington as there aren't many apartment/condo complexes, especially within walking distance of the Village. Most of the apartments are in multi-family houses. On your budget, you can probably afford a small single family house near the Village.

You can search rentals on MLSLI.com (MLSLI.com). If you'd like to be near Huntington Village, I suggesting searching in Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington Station, Huntington Bay, Halesite, and Centerport. South Huntington, Melville, and Northport (which has it's own smaller downtown) are also good options if you don't mind be a little further away from town.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM

10,494 posts, read 8,194,448 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the great information. We're definitely not looking to live in Hicksville from what we're hearing. We don't need to be in the middle of large Indian communities, but we don't want to live in a place where you don't find any Indians, sounds like that is very few places in LI though.
We've also heard that Bayside in Queens is nice and perhaps a more city feeling? Is that the case? What would the commute be like from Queens (Bayside or other places that you all might think of).

Also heard of Forest Hills, Astoria, Park Slope, Great Neck... thoughts?

On you budget, Bayside and the others, which are geographically on LI, bit in NYC. - they are on Long Island geographically.

Great Neck is expensive. Always a Jewish Community, it's changed since my early early years there. Mary hassim and Syrian Jews.

The thing is Long Island is not a city. There are a few places that are more walkable - but you also want an Indian Community.

Also, you seem upscale. Trying to be delicate here, but there is tension in Hicksville and other blue collar communities between the newer residents, from Asia and Eastern Europe, and the more old guard NYC civil service workers, construction workers and their kids.(adults)

Really on that budget, you cant do better than Stony Brook, and the Setaukets. And you will be near Melville. I would check it out.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

13,456 posts, read 14,624,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
On you budget, Bayside and the others, which are geographically on LI, bit in NYC. - they are on Long Island geographically.

Great Neck is expensive. Always a Jewish Community, it's changed since my early early years there. Mary hassim and Syrian Jews.

The thing is Long Island is not a city. There are a few places that are more walkable - but you also want an Indian Community.

Also, you seem upscale. Trying to be delicate here, but there is tension in Hicksville and other blue collar communities between the newer residents, from Asia and Eastern Europe, and the more old guard NYC civil service workers, construction workers and their kids.(adults)

Really on that budget, you cant do better than Stony Brook, and the Setaukets. And you will be near Melville. I would check it out.
Bayside, Stony Brook & Setauket are all good recommendations.

I would lean more toward Bayside and do the reverse commute to Melville. Only problem I foresee is it will be about 30 mins. Plenty going on in Bayside, loads of shopping, restaurants, apartments, townhomes, houses. Proximity to Manhattan and it has a more diverse population. I've spent considerable time in Bayside (had family there and lived there while working in Roslyn) and live in Stony Brook.

The reverse commute would make for a more pleasant life.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM

13,456 posts, read 14,624,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Of the 2, only Northport is a village; Oyster Bay is a hamlet.
Oyster Bay might be confusing to someone who isn't from around here as the Hamlet of Oyster Bay is situated within the Town of Oyster Bay. I won't even touch on the Village of Oyster Bay Cove.

I grew up in the Hamlet of North Massapequa within the Town of Oyster Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island