Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummingsniki View Post
I am 30 y/o and I was just Diagnosed with Breast Cancer. i lived on a farm in Old Brookville, and then moved to Huntington at a young age. Huntington is also known as a cancer cluster area. I had an aunt who lived in Huntington most of her life who battled it all her life and died at 62y/o form it. None of the other cancers in my family were breast. None were found to be genetic either. You can now have a simple blood test to determine whether or not you carry the BRAC1 or BRAC2 gene. There is no doubt in my mind it is environmentally related. I have an interest in speaking to anyone who seeks to find the truth about these links or just wants to share their thoughts about being diagnosed and dealing with all the pain that comes along with your struggles. Please feel free to contact me

Im terribly sorry to hear about your illness.
My mother had Breast Cancer.

Please share any findings here.I suspect you are correct.

There were heat maps online a few years ago that mysteriously disappeared.

Peace

Crooks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-23-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
I live in West Islip which has been labeled as a cancer cluster for years and years (the Dzus zipper factor on Union Blvd. dumping chemicals in the 1950s is the accused culprit) but yet I have also seen studies have proven that no such cluster exists so I am not sure exactly what to believe. While I do believe environmental factors play a role (cell phone towers for instance are a known cancer causer) I do also fee that genetics and lifestyle also play a HUGE role.

PLEASE, always get your checkups and bring up anything unusual with your doctor. Most forms of cancer now have very high survival rates if detected in the early stages. The current overall cancer survival rate is 67% according to the NIH in a report they released about a month ago ... it's my hope that we will see that number hit 90%+ in my lifetime (im 22 so it's certainly possible).

Old 11-23-2009, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 21,528 times
Is there a listing of areas on Long Island considered to be cancer clusters?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM

22 posts, read 83,833 times
I vaguely remember this article in newsday, but havent been able to locate it online. Does anyone remember if there was a cluster in merrick?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
The EPA has a superfunds site listing areas known for industrial & agricultural dumping that have become major cancer clusters.

Check out this link: New York Cleanup Sites | Region 2 | US EPA

Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
The EPA has a superfunds site listing areas known for industrial & agricultural dumping that have become major cancer clusters.

Check out this link: New York Cleanup Sites | Region 2 | US EPA

Yes but not always.

The breast cancer heat maps have mysteriously disappeared online.

Crooks

Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
My older brother passed away from a brain tumor in 2004. He lived in Shirley (near the airport) for many years before he died.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but I have more questions than answers regarding the cancer rates on LI. My sympathies to anyone that has lost loved ones to cancer in the past.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
How is Long Island different in this regard from other suburbs surrounding NYC, like Westchester or parts of NJ?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
Default Yes, it's true about cancer clusters here

I know a family with three sisters - one died in her 30's, one in her 50's, the third battled breast cancer her whole life. There are no other family members that have cancer because they did not the live/grow up in levittown NY. Nothing to do with genetics, these were all otherwise healthy women.

I don't know if it wa electromagnetic fields or some other contamination caused the cancer cluster there, but it was 100% the cause of the breast cancer in all three of them. I can bet the state knows no one should live there.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
My older brother passed away from a brain tumor in 2004. He lived in Shirley (near the airport) for many years before he died.

My daughter had a brain tumor when she was only eight years old. I just noticed that there were two contaminated sites right near where we were living at the time. The brain tumor truly destroyed her life.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island