Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Now now, don't stretch the truth. I made less than that when I first moved here (albeit I was single, no kids) in 2009. However, I was able to rent my own (illegal) apartment, no roommates, buy a brand new full size sedan, and have an enjoyable social life all while putting away a healthy sum into my 401k and paying down my student loans.
I'm not stretching the truth at all. The scenario for a single, childless person living in an illegal rental can't possibly be compared to a married couple with four kids that wants to buy a house with land.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm not stretching the truth at all. The scenario for a single, childless person living in an illegal rental can't possibly be compared to a married couple with four kids that wants to buy a house with land.
Seriously. If I believed the OP was legitimate for one second, this would be what I would tell them.

GPC, I don't think there are too many families of 6 living on $43K where we live either!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
People are really falling for this? Really?

Sad to say most are And I though NY'ers were that smart ones lol

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
People are really falling for this? Really?
I'm feeling more "fished in" by the minute. The bulb went on at "quilting club."

Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
OP, save yourself the headache and multiple moves and find a place that's rural with lots of farmland. In another 20 years the farms will more than likely sold and gone. Not only that but LI business's are very loyal and connected to the hip when it comes to sales and such. I would look into Tennessee.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 18,623 times
Folks Im not lying to you. I dont lie. I just thought that this was a good place to find out about Long Island. I have worked in farm supply sales for a good 7 years and I thought this chance at a job was a good opportunity. Maybe I was wrong but I always have faith

Sorry if you think Im joshing you but Im not.

God Bless.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaMidwood View Post
The wife and i are not planning on having anymore kids for at least another year or so..maybe two years.
Wow, you're planning on adding even more kids?! That equals even more money you'll need to make in the years ahead.

Now I'm going to say something some may find fault with but it's the truth so I'll say it anyway (at least in Nassau County, maybe Suffolk County is different, I'm not sure). Long Island is the land of entitlement. It's a great place to live - if you make a GOB of money and care more about possessions than people. It sounds like you have a very nice family and are just the type of people I moved to NC to be near but you'll be in the minority on Long Island. I lived in Queens for over 34 years. When I told my accountant that I moved from Queens to Long Island (I lived in Nassau County for 11 years), he told me I'd like it (he lives in Woodmere) but not to expect much from the neighbors. I quote - "You could be laying bloody in your driveway and your neighbors will walk right past you." Thankfully nothing that extreme ever happened but he wasn't too far off the mark. I tried being friendly with my neighbors when I moved in but after trying multiple times only to get one word answers in response, I stopped. I didn't even tell them when we were moving out; I just let the moving truck speak for itself (not that they cared anyway).

Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
GPC

Quote:
Seriously. If I believed the OP was legitimate for one second, this would be what I would tell them.

GPC, I don't think there are too many families of 6 living on $43K where we live either!
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. In a way, I hope he isn't serious because he's so far off the mark, it's not even funny.

And you're right of course about the salary. I doubt there are many places, if at all, any family could live on that. It just would be less 'ugly' here in NC than it would be in NY.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 18,623 times
GPC, yes we are thinking of having more kids. I have 5 brothers and 2 sisters and my wife has 3 brothres and a sister. Guess we like big families. Nothing like having kids.

Im starting to feel that maybe I did not think this through. I still want to talk it over with my wife and myparents and pastor.

With the Lord's help nothing is impossible. Right?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Wow, you're planning on adding even more kids?! That equals even more money you'll need to make in the years ahead.

Now I'm going to say something some may find fault with but it's the truth so I'll say it anyway (at least in Nassau County, maybe Suffolk County is different, I'm not sure). Long Island is the land of entitlement. It's a great place to live - if you make a GOB of money and care more about possessions than people. It sounds like you have a very nice family and are just the type of people I moved to NC to be near but you'll be in the minority on Long Island. I lived in Queens for over 34 years. When I told my accountant that I moved from Queens to Long Island (I lived in Nassau County for 11 years), he told me I'd like it (he lives in Woodmere) but not to expect much from the neighbors. I quote - "You could be laying bloody in your driveway and your neighbors will walk right past you." Thankfully nothing that extreme ever happened but he wasn't too far off the mark. I tried being friendly with my neighbors when I moved in but after trying multiple times only to get one word answers in response, I stopped. I didn't even tell them when we were moving out; I just let the moving truck speak for itself (not that they cared anyway).
Off topic but I had to respond...I hate LI as much as the next guy but this is total baloney. The people (neighbors) are mostly the only redeeming quality. Lots of hard working families doing all they can money and time wise for the kids. Levittown is the perfect combination of neighbors who mind their own business and also watch your back at the same time. Maybe you just moved onto a lousy block. Or maybe they just didn't like you. The mentality in Queens and most of LI are totally identical. Slightly more pronounced accents but that's about it. Another ex-pat saying how miserable they were. About as relevant as a Kansas farmer joshing us heathens about comin' to tend to the younguns' and hogs on their God fearing Middle Island farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island