Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,285 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

My name is Chad, and I am a new resident of East Islip after moving from Raleigh, North Carolina as of a little over two weeks ago. Slowly but surely I am getting settled and finding my way around the area. What I was wondering and hoping for is to get some responses from readers of this forum as to where and how you find out about local events (websites, papers, etc.) such as cooking classes, recreational sports, markets, and so on. Really, I'd like to start getting a footing in the local community and meeting new people and creating friends and such.

I apologize if there have been other threads about this (I made it 10+ pages back in the archive without seeing anything before deciding to start this topic) and hopefully I am not doing this wrong, haha. Anyway, thank you for your time! Have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Hi Chad

Welcome to Long Island. East Islip itself is a very nice area. Lots of shops, resturaunts and parks near by. Also easy access to major roads/the rest of the Island. You are also not far from LI Mcarthur airport and Ronkonkoma train station for easy commuting...

Good luck with everything, and as advice, don't go too far north on Carleton and you will be fine

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Welcome neighbor.

Check your mail for the local Islip's newspaper for local event's. Just came yesterday.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
You should go to the local public library, they always have lots of information on events in town. Also the Chamber of Commerce probably has some info.

Usually any local newspapers are sold in places like big chain drug stores or the supermarket. You can get lots of ideas from there as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtapp View Post
Hi, all!

My name is Chad, and I am a new resident of East Islip after moving from Raleigh, North Carolina as of a little over two weeks ago. Slowly but surely I am getting settled and finding my way around the area. What I was wondering and hoping for is to get some responses from readers of this forum as to where and how you find out about local events (websites, papers, etc.) such as cooking classes, recreational sports, markets, and so on. Really, I'd like to start getting a footing in the local community and meeting new people and creating friends and such.

I apologize if there have been other threads about this (I made it 10+ pages back in the archive without seeing anything before deciding to start this topic) and hopefully I am not doing this wrong, haha. Anyway, thank you for your time! Have a great weekend!
Welcome to the area. What are you interested in doing?
Most libraries have great programs with a wide variety of interests.

Are you active in church or other religious organization? They have lots of things going on as well.

There's classes at Suffolk Comm College as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
East Islip is a very nice town, Gios pizza is a great place to eat, Village meat market has decent prices on cold cuts, meats and produce. Irish coffee pub is a nice place to go for dinner and so is Jackson Hall. I am in Islip just a few blocks west of the East Islip Border. There is the stop and shop supermarket, along with staples, hallmark store and marshalls all in one little strip mall. If you like Apple Bees that's there too.Check out the east Ilsip library for local events. there's a carvel on main st, Ritas Italian ices, and Ralph's Italian ices. Not sure of your religion but St. Mary's catholic Church is very nice too.All along main Street starting from Saxon Ave all the way to the end by the east Islip Library has tons of shops, places to eat, bakeries, hair salons, nail salons. The CVS in EAst Islip is also open 24 hrs. If you like fresh seafood check out deans seafood in Ilsip off of main St. by J&R steak house. If you like to take walks I suggest a walk to Brookwood hall off of Irish Lane, huge lake with ducks, playground for the kids, tennis courts and picnic areas.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Chad, in addition to being a nice suburban commnuity, East Islip has a hidden jewel in the South Shore Nature Center. This small preserve has numerous deer and waterfowl which are easy to observe while hiking the clearly marked trails. Communing with nature is a great way to alleviate any stress you may encounter from living the rat race exists on Long Island.

The other good thing is that, unlike the preserve in Calverton, there are no controlled deer hunts.

South Shore Nature Center - Town of Islip, East Islip

Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For things to do on Lawn Guyland …

For things to do on Lawn Guyland, here are three sites that also offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com, About Long Island NY and Life On Long Island; and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

And, li4kids, is especially for the kinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island