Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,409 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be relocating from the Midwest out to Long Island in a month or two.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of how to find affordable rentals within 15 miles of the Stony Brook area. Preferably something close to the LIE or LIRR.

Everything I've found is $1,400+ per month and that's just out of my price range. I'd like to stay around $700-$900 a month. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,087,555 times
Your price range will be tough but you can always put in a search on MLSLI.com but realize that it will be a one bedroom if you are lucky but most likely a studio. You also have to take into consideration electricity, heating, cable, phone, internet and food bills which will be much higher than anywhere in the midwest.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,573,180 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ony-brook.html may be of some help to you.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM

573 posts, read 1,237,239 times
Something you should know is that many apartments on Long Island are illegal - i.e. a person is renting out a portion of a house without the proper permits.

From comments I've read on this board it appears that the "illegal apartment" issue is something people from other parts of the country are unfamiliar with.

There are multiple threads on this board about it, so check those out to familiarize yourself.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM

6,373 posts, read 13,093,376 times
You do know that this is done all over the US, right? Its not just a LI thing. People here just condone is more b/c of the high rate of taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Something you should know is that many apartments on Long Island are illegal - i.e. a person is renting out a portion of a house without the proper permits.

From comments I've read on this board it appears that the "illegal apartment" issue is something people from other parts of the country are unfamiliar with.

There are multiple threads on this board about it, so check those out to familiarize yourself.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM

573 posts, read 1,237,239 times
No, I did not know that . . . but now I do

I would have thought people all over would do it for extra money, but like I said, there have been comments on this board where people from other areas have said they had never heard of 'illegal apartments' until looking at LI.
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Housing--Suffolk County-nbc-psa.jpg  

Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM

233 posts, read 751,917 times
I have lived in many different places and never heard of illegal apartments either. I think in other places if you needed to move into an illegal apartment it was because you had very little amount of money...as in places like Houston, Texas ... you can find a 3 bedroom, furnished, for 900 or so...

Versus the Great Long Island...where 900 might get you an illegal dwelling....

but to the OP..good luck...if you have 900 a month make sure you show up on the island with 2700 ready to put down...at least..that is first.. last...and security... god forbid you interact with a broker then it is probably 900 - 1800 more.. .

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,980,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
You do know that this is done all over the US, right? Its not just a LI thing. People here just condone is more b/c of the high rate of taxes.
I'm not saying you're woring, and I'm sure other States have illegal apts, but it's not as prevalent as it is on LI. To the point where it's harder to find a legal apartment than an illegal one. Hey, how do you think I ended up renting the 2nd floor of a M/D unit? $1000 for a legal 1bdr in Hempstead, or $1000 for an illegal 2bdr in West Babylon?

I've never even heard of one until I found out I lived in one. I wish I knew about C-D when I was looking for apartments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island