Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 149,480 times

Advertisements

Recently had Home Depot install a new carpet in our basement. We are not sure how old it is, but it looks like it could be from the 70s. There was a black lining under it that was stuck to the floor in some spots and couldn't be removed, but was mostly a dark fine dust. The guys just vacuumed it up and installed the new pad and carpet over it. Well, we had someone from the company over today to fix some things they did wrong and he non-chalantly mentioned that there was probably asbestos in that underlay!! OMG! I have an 8 year old whose been playing in the basement! Wondering if anyone's experienced this and has any advice. We called an asbestos inspection company and they are coming to test. They can test just the carpet and air in basement, or do the whole house for a lot more money. If they find asbestos, what then???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,699 times
It was the 70's... could have been anything. Are you really questioning "dark fine dust" ?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
How long have you been in your house? Assuming you bought your house, didn't you have an inspection done? I've never heard of asbestos in carpeting, but I'm not a professional. Does your basement have a funky smell to it? It could have been mold and not asbestos. This is why I don't allow Home Depot to do stuff because they just use outside contractors. They're just paid to do the job and nothing more.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
The black lining was it paper like? how wide?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 149,480 times
It was thin black foamy stuff stuck to the carpet. It was disintegrating so it was a fine dust in many areas. The house was built in the 1950s and we've been in it 3 years. The carpet looks old and dated and the carpet guy guessed it was from the 70s. So far we've spoken to 2 asbestos companies who are coming to test. They said if there is asbestos we will have to move out until it is cleaned. Wow. Planning a Communion party at the house at the end of April. Was not planning for this. Will not do work with Home Depot again. Shouldn't a carpet company be aware of this and inform the buyer before any work is done???

Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

344 posts, read 717,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingLI View Post
Will not do work with Home Depot again. Shouldn't a carpet company be aware of this and inform the buyer before any work is done???
... but how would they know what's under your carpet? I had carpet installed by Lowes on two separate occasions; I think you'd get the same service.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
It could be that there is asbestos in the underlay, especially if it is 1970's or earlier. Keep the basement off limits for now. Did they track through your house with the debris from the old carpet, or were they able to go in and out through a basement entrance?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
... but how would they know what's under your carpet? I had carpet installed by Lowes on two separate occasions; I think you'd get the same service.
They wouldn't know until they started to remove the old carpet. If they were conscientious and saw anything remotely suspect, they should have stopped right there. The installer is merely a subcontractor for Home Depot and wants to make money. If they start hesitating and costing HD clients, they won't see jobs from HD ever again.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
Close all the windows and invite neighborhood pests over to dance on it with heavy boots.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
During the 70s and 80s you could buy this cheap carpeting that came with a foam backing so that you didn't need the regular separate padding that you usually pay extra for when you buy carpet. They would actually use some sort of glue to hold it down to the floor. Could it be it was foam padding that separated from the carpeting and is falling apart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island