Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Why would anyone talk up Sonic when you have an institution like this place:
Ice Cream Soda Fountain and Great Burgers – Hildebrandt’s Williston Park NY | Retro Roadmap

That can blow the doors off of any fast fake food. This is the genuine article, and you won't have to wait.

I have no association with this place, but have had the good fortune of eating there when I visited. Places like this get no love these days, unfortunately.
Hildebrandts is a cool and unique place but comparing it to a Sonic or any other fast food place is way off base and also an insult to Hildebrandts. For the record, they get plenty of love and there is often a wait. It's more of an old school luncheonette/diner/ice cream restaurant, not at all a fast food establishment, particularly a "drive in" one. We ate there yesterday for my dad in law's birthday. Damn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I could care less about Sonic specifically but true to form, Town of Hempstead shot down their variance applications and the plan is dead. Once again, the business development wizards at TOH find a way to keep another business shuttered (along with the already and STILL empty Pearl Paint and Ritas). Oh well, the world needs cracked parking lots and .99 cent stores too. Kate and Co. strike (out) again.
Yet she got re-elected just this past election day!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Do I want Sonic, not really but I want it a heck of alot more than the boarded up commercial spaces that are there now. Boarded up for 2-3 years at least. Contributing nothing to the economy and bringing down property values. A Sonic at least uses feeder businesses (food, supplies, utilities, skilled trades) and contributes to the tax base. It's a commercial thoroughfare. Isn't that where fast food establishments should be? It's not about Sonic. It's about Nimby bozos worried that someone wanting to eat a hamburger at midnight may lead to drunken crime sprees and the pillaging of East Meadow.
Or the police killing a drunken idiot for being out at 5 am and shooting each other ... it has happened ... right in a shopping center parking lot over there.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Not hard to realize I meant deprived. Just like waiting for Red Lobster or the Olive Garden. Isn't Checkers the same as Sonic anyway? There are a few of those already close by.
I figured as much, just having some fun.

Mongoose, I agree - it'd be better if the vacant properties were filled. I hate seeing the old HSBC in Levittown with the chain link fence around it; who knows when that will be occupied. Then there's the old waldbaum's, the kmart/borders building...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yet she got re-elected just this past election day!
Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy! He got slaughtered of course!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy! He got slaughtered of course!
I voted for him too. Problem is, he got into the race too late to build any momentum. Kate Murray is really a big problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Or the police killing a drunken idiot for being out at 5 am and shooting each other ... it has happened ... right in a shopping center parking lot over there.
The drunken idiot ex-con with the spider web tattoo on his elbow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island