U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 14,495 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex on Long Island. I rented the clubhouse in the complex for a party and paid a $250 security deposit. The party was March 3rd and I did not hear anything about it and when I received my rent statement Friday there was no credit. I called today and they told me the "condition of the room was being investigated" and "they could not discuss it with me any further". How is this legal for them to hold me money, never notify me there was a problem, and refuse to discuss it with me? This was a family party with about 30 guests, not a raging kegger!!! This unnamed company are a bunch of crooks!!! What do they have CSI investigators in there??? How do I know what has happened in that room between then and now? I should have been notified immediately if there was a problem! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM

1,917 posts, read 3,026,330 times
Ohhhhh the drama.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,533,660 times
and what help do you want?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM

I just want to know if this is legal for them to keep my money and not give me a reason. The idiot on the phone wouldn't even agree to have someone call me back today because they are too busy. That place was left spotless I hired a waitress/cleaning lady for the party there should be no reason to keep my money and if there is shouldn't I have been notified about what was going on?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM

I hear really bad things about this complex and my lease is up in August and I am really nervous about what they are going to try and pull when I leave because it seems they do it to a lot of people.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 3,084,782 times
Can't help with the party room but I suggest pictures of every square inch of your apt. when you leave. I would also insist that they do a walk through with you. But photos regardless.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,415,642 times
read your contract.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,138,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickygirl12 View Post
I just want to know if this is legal for them to keep my money and not give me a reason. The idiot on the phone wouldn't even agree to have someone call me back today because they are too busy. That place was left spotless I hired a waitress/cleaning lady for the party there should be no reason to keep my money and if there is shouldn't I have been notified about what was going on?
Did you talk to the super? Go to the super in person and see what is going on. I agree this sounds ridiculous.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM

I rented the room at another complex...not the one I live in so I don't know how to get in contact with the super. I never thought it would be an issue...the room was cleaner after the party then it was before. I cannot wait to get out of this complex!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,138,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickygirl12 View Post
I rented the room at another complex...not the one I live in so I don't know how to get in contact with the super. I never thought it would be an issue...the room was cleaner after the party then it was before. I cannot wait to get out of this complex!
If the party was March 3, they should know by now what the condition you left it is in. Ridiculous. Do what I do, threaten to come in person. Nicely call them and ask to make an appointment with a manager to discuss the issue. They never want to do that, so that should light a fire under their butts to get cracking with your refund of the deposit. It's probably just some useless slacker holding it up. If there was a problem with how you left it, or you damaged something and they wanted to keep your money, you typically would have been notified immediately about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island