Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 PM

67 posts, read 147,953 times

Advertisements

I will be working in downtown n.y. in the macys coorperate offices. It's just not clear which one yet. I heard queens was good and l.i.c.as well but i have my heart set on l.i. I heard it would be safe for me even though they're bad areas they dont compare to whats in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:52 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
I will be working in downtown n.y. in the macys coorperate offices. It's just not clear which one yet. I heard queens was good and l.i.c.as well but i have my heart set on l.i. I heard it would be safe for me even though they're bad areas they dont compare to whats in the city.
Hmm..you may want to look in Mineola, Floral Park, New hyde park. Close to queens .. almost near the border and Floral Park actually dips into queens.. but nice areas. May be able to find some rentals there..
if you go a little further east you have Hicksville, Levittown area and there is teh Hicksville train station , which is a good station. I'm not much of a queens person and if you plan on having a car .. it's a real ***** to find parking sometimes in queens.

I'm not too familiar with LIC. .. so I can't really help you out with that one..

About how much rent can you afford a month?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
brandosgirl:

Quote:
Not exactly true. If you are single with no kids then definitely DO NOT move to Long Island. You will regret it. You will be bored to tears. There are lots of places to rent in Brooklyn and Queens that are safe and a whole lot more interesting for a single female. Here are some areas worth checking out in Queens that are very nice: Douglaston, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Jamaica Heights and Whitestone. LIC has some new waterfront condos/co-ops, but I'm not sure about safety there. However, it is only one subway stop from Manhattan. In Brooklyn, if you got the money, do Brooklyn Heights - its really nice. Also, check into Park Slope.

Forget about this board - go onto the NYC board. Trust me. You will be bored on LI. The city is where its at for singles.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
brandosgirl:

Not exactly true. If you are single with no kids then definitely DO NOT move to Long Island. You will regret it. You will be bored to tears. There are lots of places to rent in Brooklyn and Queens that are safe and a whole lot more interesting for a single female. Here are some areas worth checking out in Queens that are very nice: Douglaston, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Jamaica Heights and Whitestone. LIC has some new waterfront condos/co-ops, but I'm not sure about safety there. However, it is only one subway stop from Manhattan. In Brooklyn, if you got the money, do Brooklyn Heights - its really nice. Also, check into Park Slope.

Forget about this board - go onto the NYC board. Trust me. You will be bored on LI. The city is where its at for singles.

You know what.. she's probably right.. I wasn't thinking.. and the reason is because I am a native LI'r and when I was single and renting I had already had established relationships with my friends .. so I didn't have to be in an environment where I was single, didn't know anyone and needed to make friends.. .. She is right.. you need to be more where there is a little more bustle and opportunity for things to do.

Depending on what you can afford you may be able to find an apartment that is looking for a roomate in NYC.. it will be a VERY SMALL Room for what you'd pay.. but you'd have great socializing ability there..

Not that LI is bad.. but it will be hard if you don't know anyone here already..

Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM

TristansMommy said,

Quote:
but you'd have great socializing ability there..
I think she means meeting guys.

She's right. Live in the city where there are things to do and opportunities to meet new people. Long Island is more for married couples with kids looking to settle down. Even our kids drift back into the city because LI has nothing to really offer in terms of a night life.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Well to be honest i was planning on a 1000 a month but from what i've seen i can find something descent on l.i. for less than 900 if i have patience.I saw an apt on craigslist on thursday It was one of those basement apts.it had an upstairs and downstairs for 875 a month. The truth is i dont want to rent an apt. just to stay in because i have no money to do anything else. Even though i want to be close to the city i want to come home to something just a litte more peaceful. It's funny you mentioned those areas because i thought they were further from the city. I've been looking at bayside or bayshore, jerricho, huntington and huntington station. Someone suggested greatneck but it seemed extremely expensive though. I know i definently want to stay on the island!!! Where would selden be??? Is it far???? Oh and do i have to pay to get snow shoveled and do they have those days where you cant leave your house because of a snowstorm??? I know absolutely nothing about snow i've never even seen it!!! Thank you tristans mommy you're very helpful!!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
TristansMommy said,

I think she means meeting guys.

She's right. Live in the city where there are things to do and opportunities to meet new people. Long Island is more for married couples with kids looking to settle down. Even our kids drift back into the city because LI has nothing to really offer in terms of a night life.

LI Does have a nightlife..BUT.. here's the thing..it's not the kind of nightlife where you can just go in by yourself and have a good time. Me and my GF's had a blast at a lot of nightspots on LI (although I'm now out of touch because I haven't been in that scene in awhile).. The problem is that here on LI.. if you rent an illegal apartment and not in a complex, you won't have the opportunity to meet other singles like yourselves to make friends to go out to nightspots to .. yes.. meet the mens!!! LOL.. If you move to NYC.. in a building or roomates.. youll have the ability first through your roomates to connect with people and make friends.. plus it willb e easier for you to socialize with other friends from work (especially if they are young and single too) Once you go home it's like your "isolated" because you'd live no a block with familes and other

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
bayside or bayshore, jerricho, huntington and huntington station.
Bayside is great. Stay away from BayShore and Huntington Station. Village of Huntington might be OK. Jericho? - nothing to rent there.

Quote:
Where would selden be???
the ass end of LI.
Quote:
Is it far???
? Don't go there unless you want to spend most of your pay check on commuting. Great Neck is much better. Look I'll be frank, why are you choosing mostly white-trash and/or ghetto areas?

Quote:
Oh and do i have to pay to get snow shoveled and do they have those days where you cant leave your house because of a snowstorm???
Quote:
Oh and do i have to pay to get snow shoveled and do they have those days where you cant leave your house because of a snowstorm???
You better get a snow shovel and read the directions. Forget about trying to get to work in NYC on bad snow/ice days from most of LI, especially if you plan on living in Selden. I'm telling you, North Eastern Queens is suburban and quiet, but also easy to get to the city from, even on snow days.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM

Glad this came up.I just assumed i would meet people at work. But woulnt it be easy to go into the city and meet people and then come home??? Im not a city girl when it comes to living!! Right now i live 15 min from san francisco but i have peace when i want it. When i lived in l.a. I lived in the valley which was about 30 min to l.a.depending on the traffic going through the canyons. I definently want to be able to get up on sat and just walk to go get coffee. Or heres a great example of what i do now...Decide last minute i want to cook so i'll just get in the car and go grocery shopping. I was under the impression thats not possible in the city. Am I wrong? I have no problem driving anywhere although i hate traffic

Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM

What is the ass end of long island considered??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island