Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM

5,048 posts, read 3,954,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
It was > 60%...I remember that much and being stunned since South Country is a consistently underperforming district. If you're going to pass their budget, at least make them accountable for their performance.
South country...hmm..didn't that schoolboard spend half a million just this week in getting rid of a superintendent they hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM

246 posts, read 430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Is your source of info something other than the Teacher's Union monthly?

If your information is valid and from a reliable source then, why wouldn't the Teacher's union be more efficient with the funds they can amass? Why not lower the percentage of increases (including step increases) for all teachers and freeze the pay of administrators for at least one year to prevent layoffs? Doing what is best for all of its consitituents....isn't that what a union is supposed to do?
My source is teachers I know that are losing their jobs.

Anyway, things are a little more complicated than you make them out to be as far as teacher contracts and such. And I highly doubt the teacher unions have much say in how much administrators are paid.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:50 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,366 times
It's 1 or the other, we cut down superintendents can merge/consolidate school districts or we overthrow the unions and eliminate tenure something has to done

Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
It's 1 or the other, we cut down superintendents can merge/consolidate school districts or we overthrow the unions and eliminate tenure something has to done
Why not do both and make a clean sweep of it?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
This is a zombie thread from years ago. It talks, it lives!

Nothing has changed since the first post. I have seen several consolidation attempts get shot down by nimbys. Cuomo applies the pressure but it's still not happening. Nobody wants their schools to consolidate with them.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Nobody wants their schools to consolidate with them.
EXACTLY....."them."

Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
A superintendent may make $200k-$300k. That's only 2 or 3 teachers' salaries. How many other highly paid administrators are in a district?

We need to try something else instead.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-19-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This is a zombie thread from years ago. It talks, it lives!

Nothing has changed since the first post. I have seen several consolidation attempts get shot down by nimbys. Cuomo applies the pressure but it's still not happening. Nobody wants their schools to consolidate with them.
I'm wondering why you think that people who purposefully bought into a town for a particular school district should consent have their school consolidated with an entirely different school district. One of the biggest draws of particular parts of Nassau County is the school and is a tremendous driver of property values. Forced consolidation would be a big windfall to many homeowners at the expense of others.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ not to mention we don't want Brooklyn Tech sized schools and buildings in suburbia. Over 1k kids per grade. We didn't move here for that.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm wondering why you think that people who purposefully bought into a town for a particular school district should consent have their school consolidated with an entirely different school district. One of the biggest draws of particular parts of Nassau County is the school and is a tremendous driver of property values. Forced consolidation would be a big windfall to many homeowners at the expense of others.
All LI needs is ONE school district, but I don't see consolidation of any kind happening here. It's everyone and their little fiefdom with a moat around it for perpetuity, while the high tax whining goes on and on and on...

Y'all can keep it and do whatever you want. I'm sick of this place after living here most of life, and have one foot out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island