Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
For fun, you can check out the newly-released 1940 census data to see who was living there back then (and how much the resident estimated the home to be valued).

Dude living in my house earned $4700/yr, estimated the home's value to be $5000. If only it were that simple today.
this sounds cool I am checking out the site now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM

I don't think I am on the right web site which one is it???

Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't think I am on the right web site which one is it???
Welcome - 1940 Census

It may be a bit of a hassle to actually find your address. You have to first locate the census tract, which may require manually looking at 1940 census maps for the borders.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Welcome - 1940 Census

It may be a bit of a hassle to actually find your address. You have to first locate the census tract, which may require manually looking at 1940 census maps for the borders.
Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Mine isn't there I think my house was built in 1950

Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Very cool! I looked up my address. In 1940, the owner was a Securities Broker, Age 55, Married, living with 2 kids, son-in-law, and grandchild. He withheld his income, and the house was valued at $8,000.
That is so cool! I tried looking up my home (which has been around since the 1920's) and learned that the Village Idiot conducted the census for our area. This individual omitted house numbers as well as entire streets -- mine being one of them!

If you want to laugh: the founder of Thom McCann shoes, Ward Melville, listed the value of his estate in Old Field at $900 his salary $5K+. I believe the enumerator left off a zero or two.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Guy who lived in my old house was an engineer who rented for $22.50 a month. There were hardly any other houses occupied on my street; my house was built in 1938!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Very cool! I looked up my address. In 1940, the owner was a Securities Broker, Age 55, Married, living with 2 kids, son-in-law, and grandchild. He withheld his income, and the house was valued at $8,000.
Congratulations!
Sounds like your house has a good pedigree - good price for the time.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That is so cool! I tried looking up my home (which has been around since the 1920's) and learned that the Village Idiot conducted the census for our area. This individual omitted house numbers as well as entire streets -- mine being one of them!

If you want to laugh: the founder of Thom McCann shoes, Ward Melville, listed the value of his estate in Old Field at $900 his salary $5K+. I believe the enumerator left off a zero or two.
What's more puzzling is why was Ward Melville renting the Old Field place?!?! Says "R" not "O". And if so, he was really paying off the charts - $900 vs. the common ($5-$35 a month).

But, he was paying very well his servants according to these records.

I was impressed how many mechanics resided in Stony Brook in the 1940s, alongside teachers, carpenters, chauffeurs, clerks, secretaries, cooks, maids...
Not sure about the house prices for the "Stony Brook School" (some close to $100,000?!) - does it mean teachers had private houses on the premises? Or they listed the price of the whole building? Unclear.
Yes, records were somewhat sloppy for Stony Brook.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
What's more puzzling is why was Ward Melville renting the Old Field place?!?! Says "R" not "O". And if so, he was really paying off the charts - $900 vs. the common ($5-$35 a month).

But, he was paying very well his servants according to these records.

I was impressed how many mechanics resided in Stony Brook in the 1940s, alongside teachers, carpenters, chauffeurs, clerks, secretaries, cooks, maids...
Not sure about the house prices for the "Stony Brook School" (some close to $100,000?!) - does it mean teachers had private houses on the premises? Or they listed the price of the whole building? Unclear.
Yes, records were somewhat sloppy for Stony Brook.

I missed that R -- was using an iPad and straining my eyes. My hypothesis: he was already very wealthy in 1940 (had started the SBV reconstruction) and I will wager he had the property in some sort of business holding and rented it back to himself for some sort of tax advantage.

There is really nothing impressive about the mix of residents back in 1940. A number of my friends have family in the area dating back into the late 17th and 18th centuries. Stony Brook was a true village with all the things one would need to maintain the population -- butcher, lumber yard, chemist, grist mill, farms, livestock, harbor and trade. It gained popularity as a summer escape and through that we see the rise of the SBS. It wasn't until SBU set it's roots down that we see a change in the area's demographics and the snootiness move in. My DH graduated WMHS in the 70's and states that while the wealthy were in Old Field, it was a much different place than it is now. In fact, my friends whose family names can be seen on many street signs on LI and throughout Brookhaven are being forced to leave 3V -- victims of the area's reputation. It is very sad. A few old souls still preside over the Rhodes collection, and for that I am grateful.

The SBS did/does have homes on the property and owns some of the homes in the surrounding area to this day. (Which is another TVCSD bone of contention as SBS doesn't pay school taxes on them as a religious institution yet the SBS teachers who live in them send their primary school children to TVCSD.) Several houses on St Marks, Poplar, Laurel, Woodbine, Brook, Garden, Houghton, etc, belong to SBS to this day.

Going back to the census, I am going to see if the omitted streets in my section aren't lumped into the SBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island