Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Interesting political animals.

Nassau police unions switch political sides
Top Stories Item

Quote:
Nassau's police unions, major financial contributors to Republicans for years, have made an about-face and now are giving heavily to Democrats, who opposed GOP plans for police job cuts and a reduction in precincts.

State campaign finance records show that last year, the 1,600-member Police Benevolent Association joined the detectives and superior officers unions in forming a political action committee that gave more than $500,000 to Nassau Democrats -- and nothing to Republicans.
Public sector unions should be ILLEGAL or at least campaign contributions from them should be ILLEGAL. All they do is BRIBE politicians to act against the best interests of the taxpayers. NO WONDER Nassau police are making close to the most in the country for police (second only to Suffolk County, LI), while taxes soar. Ever wonder why Nassau won't cut the sales tax on clothes like so many other places are doing and like NYS is doing? Take a look at NCPD, that's your answer. NO WONDER when Nassau police retire after a scant 20 years they are taking home $300K+ on top of six-figure pensions for life and free medical for their entire families ... ALL on the backs of Nassau's taxpayers! That half a million they gave to Democrats is all on the backs of the taxpayers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Living in New York we have a total tax burden that borders on what many European countires have..except those countries have universal health care and better safety nets. Where does all the money go?

In NY, you don't pay high taxes only to provide services to poor people or pay into programs that benefit everyone like universal health care....no, we pay high taxes to make sure that certain groups of municipal workers have the most sought after middle class jobs available, with the best benefits and best pensions in ADDITION to higher than average salaries.

As for whatever party they support, their only ideology is to keep their own pockets full.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Living in New York we have a total tax burden that borders on what many European countires have..except those countries have universal health care and better safety nets. Where does all the money go?

In NY, you don't pay high taxes only to provide services to poor people or pay into programs that benefit everyone like universal health care....no, we pay high taxes to make sure that certain groups of municipal workers have the most sought after middle class jobs available, with the best benefits and best pensions in ADDITION to higher than average salaries.

As for whatever party they support, their only ideology is to keep their own pockets full.
No different than the MAFIA, yet it's "legal." What a racket!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
When your party has been anti union on a national level you reap what you sow. I didnt see you complaining when they were donating to republicans.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
When your party has been anti union on a national level you reap what you sow. I didnt see you complaining when they were donating to republicans.
I disagree. It's not the national political climate, but the fact that the Nassau Repubs have specifically stopped SPOILING NCPD ROTTEN that caused the turncoat of contributions.

As for who they donate to, if you will re-read my post, I said this: Public sector unions should be ILLEGAL or at least campaign contributions from them should be ILLEGAL. That goes for campaign contributions to any and all parties, including to Republicans.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I disagree. It's not the national political climate, but the fact that the Nassau Repubs have specifically stopped SPOILING NCPD ROTTEN that caused the turncoat of contributions.

As for who they donate to, if you will re-read my post, I said this: Public sector unions should be ILLEGAL or at least campaign contributions from them should be ILLEGAL. That goes for campaign contributions to any and all parties, including to Republicans.
Couldn't agree more with you. Had to spread some rep around before giving it to ya.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Quote:
Local repubs are just following suit with the rest of their party.
Quote:
Campaign contributions should be illegal, period, regardless of the source. All elections should be publicly funded on a level playing field.

Why should public sector unions be illegal? Just because their employer is the public doesn't mean that they don't deserve fair wages and benefits or the right to organize.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
No different than the MAFIA, yet it's "legal." What a racket!
At least the mafia provides the goods or services that they extorted out of you...

Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
The cops are behaving like spoiled children. This is there version of holding their breath and throwing themselves on the floor.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
For those that think the anger with the PBA just began in 2008 are seriously out of touch. Speaking of out of touch read Purcell's comments below, no wonder the county is in such bad shape. Yes the settlements were so reasonable they made up banners for Gulotta's campaign.

From 1978 through 2000, under administrations of Francis T. Purcell and Gulotta, the unions negotiated wage and benefit increases that led the county's police force to become among the highest paid in the nation.

"Naturally, they always wanted more money, and naturally we couldn't give them what they wanted, but we settled on what was reasonable," said Purcell, 93, who is retired and living in Florida.

Gulotta did not return calls seeking comment for this story."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: