U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Status: "Wasting away in Wastebury" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,464 posts, read 4,245,259 times
Reputation: 859
Default King Kullen in Hicksville (Delco Plaza) closed

I dont post much here but I figured I'd let you all know the King Kullen in Hicksville has closed. Kind of a surprise, as I heard nothing on the news or announced on their web site. I saw the sign missing from there when I passed by today. First Goldman Bros, now King Kullen, Hicksville is having some problems.
That American Medical Bldg is all vacant and empty too with a fence around it. Looking more like PJS everyday over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM
 
1,953 posts, read 1,796,244 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I dont post much here but I figured I'd let you all know the King Kullen in Hicksville has closed. Kind of a surprise, as I heard nothing on the news or announced on their web site. I saw the sign missing from there when I passed by today. First Goldman Bros, now King Kullen, Hicksville is having some problems.
That American Medical Bldg is all vacant and empty too with a fence around it. Looking more like PJS everyday over there.
I wouldnt say PJS...... Delco Plaza has always been mostly fully leased. King Kullen suffers from being too expensive. People will graviate to cheaper places for the same stuff. Stop and Shop isnt far from there and there are 2 ShopRites in reasonable distance. Waldbaums is nearby but traffic on 106/107 makes that harder. Plus theres the Asian grocer on So Oyster Bay Rd and Old Country that has better meat and veggies too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
11,151 posts, read 7,523,452 times
Reputation: 8799
I thought King Kullen was more expensive than other chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM
 
1,953 posts, read 1,796,244 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I thought King Kullen was more expensive than other chains.
They are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
 
398 posts, read 416,762 times
Reputation: 182
KK is very expensive.... Since Asian population is high in that area, they go to the Indian stores buy the same thing for much cheaper. Economic tough times, every one wants to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Long Island
4,508 posts, read 3,752,522 times
Reputation: 1836
They were supposed to have closed over 5 years ago. We got flyers in the mail to come down for a going out of business sale. Then it never happened.... they just remained open. Good way to get rid of stale inventory.

Anyway, the place is always dead in there. During lunchtime, the rest of Delco Plaza is packed though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
 
246 posts, read 399,814 times
Reputation: 129
I was just coming in to post the same thing, the store was always dead. Sometimes there would only be 2 cashiers open so I am suprised they lasted this long. I would stop in every so often if they had a decent weekly special on my way to/from Johns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
 
322 posts, read 416,854 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I was just coming in to post the same thing, the store was always dead. Sometimes there would only be 2 cashiers open so I am suprised they lasted this long. I would stop in every so often if they had a decent weekly special on my way to/from Johns
I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Hicksville for that exact reason. Never had to worry about crowds, no shopping carts, or running out of inventory. The only thing I wish they did have at that time was self-checkout.

There is a Shop-Rite and a Trader Joe's only 5 minutes from that location. I can see why they went out of business, but you never know, they may just re-open as Wild by Nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
 
239 posts, read 224,546 times
Reputation: 236
King Kullen is also very "meh" in my opinion. Most King Kullens don't nearly have as much selection as Stop and Shop, and as stated before the prices are higher. This may have something to do with the closing.

What we really need on Long Island is Wegman's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
 
846 posts, read 1,164,012 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
King Kullen is also very "meh" in my opinion. Most King Kullens don't nearly have as much selection as Stop and Shop, and as stated before the prices are higher. This may have something to do with the closing.

What we really need on Long Island is Wegman's
agreed - but I do like their bakery. Produce in KK is ridiculously high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top