Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,059 times

Advertisements

So I am buying a house on the South Shore and, like everyone, wondering about the schools. My friend saw in a Pennysaver-type paper that the elementary school on Fire Island is actually taking on new students for tuition. This didn't sound right to me because I didn't think you could do that. But something possessed me to call because I have young kids. I cannot believe what I learned! Not only is this true, but the tuition is very affordable - $3000 and change for the year, AND the tuition includes all supplies, a laptop for every kid (not to keep forever but to keep and bring home for the whole school year), after-school clubs (knitting, karate, swimming, Lego), field trips (yippee!), musical instruments and lessons, Spanish language, gym, library, integrated science, AND a student-teacher ratio of 3 to 1. So pinch me now. Is this awesome or what? I am totally signing up. There is a catch, which is that the free bus transport is only to/from Bay Shore. So you have to get your kid to Bay Shore in the morning (probably at one of the schools, or at Captree.). Also, it's only pre-k to 6, but there is all-day kindergarten. Also, the buses run twice in the afternoon, once right after school and again after the clubs finish up. I am not totally understanding how no one is talking about this. Has anyone heard about this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,216,368 times
Babylon Village takes a lot of the "beach kids" who are the only ones in that district to get a school bus.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Sounds wonderful. What time is the ferry you need to catch in the AM? Is there someone to oversee the children? Or do you meet the school bus in Bay Shore which drives down to RM and then 4WD to the school?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 AM

886 posts, read 2,638,787 times
Since you seem so giddy about going why don't you go? It sounds very taxing on a child a to be shlepping to and fro to FI five days a week for an education. There is nothing wrong with Bay Shore Schools but after reading how intense you seem to be maybe they'd welcome you sending your child there.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 AM

629 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightwatersBound View Post
So pinch me now. Is this awesome or what? I am totally signing up.
WOW - totally - fur sure - I say do it - send your "kids" - totally awesome - like - you know - like what a great thing!

Maybe if you sign up to be ferry matron - they'll let you audit the English class.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,982,088 times
If you're willing to drive them every day and pay "tuition", you can pretty much send your kids anywhere.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:49 PM

198 posts, read 778,132 times
THANKYOU! this information is exactly what i was looking for!

It seems like a great school. At 3k / year it is perfect for me .

This will be a viable option for us if we dont move to a better district soon .

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
How much time do children from LI have to spend commuting to /from school each day? What happens if the child gets sick at school? (Been there, done that)

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM

198 posts, read 778,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How much time do children from LI have to spend commuting to /from school each day? What happens if the child gets sick at school? (Been there, done that)
I think the parent goes and picks them up?

i drive 30 min to preschool/daycare so this is same difference in different direction.

I will say that LI has the weirdest people regarding commuting. People expect you to live and work within a 5 mile radius, and do all your business there. I find this so so strange.

To me driving up to 1 hour to get where i want to go is no big deal.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,560,907 times
I am spending more next year for full day K so it is not unreasonable. And what they charge you for the enrichment supplement to half day K is more than 3k. too bad I am north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island