Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why there seems to be so little local advertising for such services. In the local papers, there's all these handyman type of jobs, home services, etc. but every business should have a website - it's the first thing the now-generation checks for. While a lot have sites, many were created with such basic skill that it may not do justice to their trade. Would something like this be beneficial to local business owners? I don't see anyone offering on craigslist, or at the local library bulletin board, etc. Perhaps facebook has given small business owners an easy way to do it for free - but not seeing a ton of those or Wordpress-types either. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
you can find a kid to build you a decent looking wordpress site in a few days

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,126 times
I have been on the hunt for a web designer myself for the past 2 months. I just met with New Dynamx (a long island based company) about designing my ecommerce store. I suggest giving them a call. I had a great meeting with them yesterday and it seems like they are pretty versatile in what they can do. Their portfolio was impressive as well. Newdynamx.com

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

long-island based firms and agencies are pretty terrible by and large.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
you can find a kid to build you a decent looking wordpress site in a few days
Wordpress is kind of limited. If you need a site that saves persistent data and performs custom logic for your business, Wordpress is not the way to go. For most businesses, a good looking front end and email functionality are all you really need. There are many local college aged kids who can do this easily for little money (with PHP, Java, or .NET). Just do not fall in love with the graphics they produce and think the job is complete - make sure all site features work. Also, ensure the site is hosted by a reputable server farm (and not from the back seat of the kids' car via power cable to his cigarette lighter).

Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM

you can easily customize wordpress to suit your needs and in a mobile environment, you can pair it with a more robust set of tools. we've built fortune 50 sites on it

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
you can easily customize wordpress to suit your needs and in a mobile environment, you can pair it with a more robust set of tools. we've built fortune 50 sites on it
Yeah but, with any CMS tool, you are locked into the constraints of that software. If you happen to want to do something that Wordpress will not allow you to do - then it's tough sh*t for the client. Being shackled by any product always sucks.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I was wondering why there seems to be so little local advertising for such services. In the local papers, there's all these handyman type of jobs, home services, etc. but every business should have a website - it's the first thing the now-generation checks for. While a lot have sites, many were created with such basic skill that it may not do justice to their trade. Would something like this be beneficial to local business owners? I don't see anyone offering on craigslist, or at the local library bulletin board, etc. Perhaps facebook has given small business owners an easy way to do it for free - but not seeing a ton of those or Wordpress-types either. Thoughts?
I can tell you exactly why: If you're a web designer or copywriter on Long Island, or any other expensive area, you're going to target larger clients who will give you repeat business (regular site updates and maintenance for the designers and ghost blogging and social media for the writers), instead of quibbling over one-offs with a local small business owner who has apoplexy when you quote them a professional rate and behaves like something straight out of [URL="http://clientsfromhell.net/"]Clients from Hell[/URL].

Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Most web design services today are generally "self-serve" and provided by very large companies (eg- godaddy, rackspace, and thousands of other similar companies). This is the same across the country and has little to do with regionality. There are actually loads of local webmasters advertising their services on craigslist, and the big guys also offer custom services. It's all out there if one looks. But a lot of local business owners are not interested in 'learning new tricks', so to speak.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,149 times
Default you have to customize your wordpress.. it will be beneficial for you.

you have to customize your wordpress.. it will be beneficial for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island