U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:36 AM

67 posts, read 18,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
I'm not from LI, I am formerly from Los Angeles. I actually live in Manhattan, but curious and Long Island because I've never really been around the area. I have a car so I'll probably go for a drive in the area one day to see what it looks like.

Do you live in LA?
Not anymore. I live in San Francisco I was born here. But i hate it. It's a hippy city to me. I've never been to long island but it does seem like the san fernando valley from what i hear but with more steet smarts. Not ghetto street but it seems like you would know where you stand with people. What i didnt like about l.a. was the men were a little too metorsexual for me. I love a man that takes care of himself, but i dont need my boyfriend to go get waxed or his nails done with me. Too freaky for me!!!!! It also has a tendecy to be a little too experimental for me. So you never have been to the hamptons???? I thought it was impossible to have a car in the city??? Is it really expensive to park it????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:37 PM

274 posts, read 40,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Not anymore. I live in San Francisco I was born here. But i hate it. It's a hippy city to me. I've never been to long island but it does seem like the san fernando valley from what i hear but with more steet smarts. Not ghetto street but it seems like you would know where you stand with people. What i didnt like about l.a. was the men were a little too metorsexual for me. I love a man that takes care of himself, but i dont need my boyfriend to go get waxed or his nails done with me. Too freaky for me!!!!! It also has a tendecy to be a little too experimental for me. So you never have been to the hamptons???? I thought it was impossible to have a car in the city??? Is it really expensive to park it????
Yea, Los Angelenos are image obsessed people. A lot of them think they're somebody's or they try so hard to act like it. I guess it comes it the terriroty of being in Hollywood. But you run into a lot of people like that in NYC but it's not as bad.

No, haven't been to the Hamptons yet. And it's not impossible to own a car in Manhattan, about 25-30 % of Manhattanites own cars. You just have to make the money to afford to garage them and the high insurance costs, which is out of reach to a lot of people.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM

1,876 posts, read 252,623 times
Quote:
Yea, Los Angelenos are image obsessed people. A lot of them think they're somebody's or they try so hard to act like it. I guess it comes it the terriroty of being in Hollywood. But you run into a lot of people like that in NYC but it's not as bad.

No, haven't been to the Hamptons yet. And it's not impossible to own a car in Manhattan, about 25-30 % of Manhattanites own cars. You just have to make the money to afford to garage them and the high insurance costs, which is out of reach to a lot of people.
BTW
Hamptons= Hollywood East Coast
C

Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM

492 posts, read 91,311 times
Quote:
Besides the weather?

Anyone here lived in Los Angeles/SoCal before Long Island? I'm quite curious.
I lived in LA on Hollywood Hill for 3 months in 1984, it was hell.
They built the houses right to the street, no sidewalks. You cant walk at night all the dogs go off.

The beaches are filled with weirdos and homeless people. You need to drive in the worst traffic in the country to do anything
I got pushed to the ground and burned in the back with a stun gun for J Walking (with no cars in sight and i'm white guy)
A lot of people in the jail were beaten by the cops.

San Diego-Point Loma is nice but there is to much redneck milatary scum. They terrorize and vomit all over whole town

Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
BTW
Hamptons= Hollywood East Coast
C
You're smacking the Hamptons around a little but too much, don't you think?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
You're smacking the Hamptons around a little but too much, don't you think?
Am I?

Have you been out there lately?

Its Hollywood ...pretending it has a soul.

C

Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Am I?

Have you been out there lately?

Its Hollywood ...pretending it has a soul.

C
Just b/c some people invade during a couple months of the year doesn't mean it's all been corrupted. Go over there now, or around Christmas, and tell me if you think the same thing. I still like the Hamptons alot, despite some of the nonsense.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Just b/c some people invade during a couple months of the year doesn't mean it's all been corrupted. Go over there now, or around Christmas, and tell me if you think the same thing. I still like the Hamptons alot, despite some of the nonsense.

Youre so right....I feel bad for the Natives.
Its a bad episode of Entourage in the summer.

C

Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Youre so right....I feel bad for the Natives.
Its a bad episode of Entourage in the summer.

C
Yes, I've never really been there in the summer, to be honest. I go "off times" and really enjoy it. I would give it another chance...you are fairly close anyway.

I was actually planning on a weekend sometime, just to get away. Figured get there early Sat, spend a day in the Hamptons, sleep one night, spend the next day on the NF.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,627,597 times
My family has owned a home in the Hamptons since the late 60's. We go out there all the time.

Hamptons is definitely becoming a wannabe Hollywood scene, the diff being that LA is much, much seedier. Mostly what I see in the Hamptons is just drunken LI and NYC kids thinking they are high class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island