Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:25 PM

274 posts, read 320,052 times

Advertisements

Besides the weather?

Anyone here lived in Los Angeles/SoCal before Long Island? I'm quite curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Besides the weather?

Anyone here lived in Los Angeles/SoCal before Long Island? I'm quite curious.
I have...Irvine.

Think of Nassau County as the perimeter of LA county.

Think of the LIE as the 405 maybe a little faster(but not much) because of the LIRR.

The cost of housing is lower but the taxes here quicky eat up the savings.

LI beaches are much nicer(but you only have em for 3 mos).

LA has better Mex food and InNOut burger but you wont miss it for a minute once youve had our Pizza and Bagels

Above all as you head to the city here, we actually have a city at the end of the trip.

As far as the people go, I found LA/OC people to be a bit shallow,a mile wide and an inch deep.You'll always know where you stand with a Long Islander.There's a gritty earnestness to the locals that Ive come to love over the years.

LA is more like an area... with enormous sprawl.
Nothing really compares to NYC/LI

Welcome to the Right coast

C

One final thought
Dodger fans pretty much =Yankee fans.
Angel fans=Met fans

(Mets are Long Island/Queens Team..Much Like the Angels are Anaheims and not LAs)

Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM

67 posts, read 147,990 times
Even though i didnt post the original thread I wanna say thank you!!!! You have helped me soooooo....much!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!!! I lived in the valley for 4yrs the funny thing is i preferred it to l.a. I thought the cost of living would be higher on l.i. I llived in sherman oaks an extremely nice part and paid 925 for a 2 bdrm. But i think coming from cali it's hard to get used to the pulic transportation way of life in n.y. But i cant wait to give it a try!!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 25,360 times
I grew up on Long Island, and I feel like I was spoiled there.

I loved all the good pizza, bagel, and chinese food places. I miss all the mom and pop places.

LA has InnOut, and smoothie places, but other than that, I prefer Long Island.

I miss Public Transportation and the LIRR most of all. I have to drive everywhere in LA.

I go back to LI every 6 months, and wish to move back someday after school and gain more entertainment work out here.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm curious lilly In your opinion why do you think eveyone goes to l.a. for entertainment work??? Isnt new york all about entertainmet as well??? Alot of of the l.a.agencies have sister agencies in n.y. and soaps are filmed out in n.y. as well as commercial stuff. What do you think??? And would there be a coffee bean in n.y. by any chance. That is a so. cal must have!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Even though i didnt post the original thread I wanna say thank you!!!! You have helped me soooooo....much!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!!! I lived in the valley for 4yrs the funny thing is i preferred it to l.a. I thought the cost of living would be higher on l.i. I llived in sherman oaks an extremely nice part and paid 925 for a 2 bdrm. But i think coming from cali it's hard to get used to the pulic transportation way of life in n.y. But i cant wait to give it a try!!!!!
Are you moving to Long Island or coming to the city?

If you're living on Long Island you will need a car, not public transport!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I have...Irvine.

Think of Nassau County as the perimeter of LA county.

Think of the LIE as the 405 maybe a little faster(but not much) because of the LIRR.

The cost of housing is lower but the taxes here quicky eat up the savings.

LI beaches are much nicer(but you only have em for 3 mos).

LA has better Mex food and InNOut burger but you wont miss it for a minute once youve had our Pizza and Bagels

Above all as you head to the city here, we actually have a city at the end of the trip.

As far as the people go, I found LA/OC people to be a bit shallow,a mile wide and an inch deep.You'll always know where you stand with a Long Islander.There's a gritty earnestness to the locals that Ive come to love over the years.

LA is more like an area... with enormous sprawl.
Nothing really compares to NYC/LI

Welcome to the Right coast

C

One final thought
Dodger fans pretty much =Yankee fans.
Angel fans=Met fans

(Mets are Long Island/Queens Team..Much Like the Angels are Anaheims and not LAs)
Thanks.

Truthfully, the people in L.A. were very fake but I've heard soo much about spoiled Long Island kids and rude fake and materialistic Long Islanders so I was under the assumption LI would be like LA

Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 PM

I have my heart set on l.i. I didnt think it was possible but i've been looking on craigslist and i see some good deals. I really thought it would be worse but i will able to pay rent and have a life to. I hope to be working in the city so i was told to take the train, and look for a place in huntington -bayshore or bablyon and my commute would be under an hour. Do you miss l.i.??? And do you like l.a.???? It has to be a culture shock in many ways. Oh and I plan on having a car to. Just to get around the island and just to get in the car and go for a drive.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
I have my heart set on l.i. I didnt think it was possible but i've been looking on craigslist and i see some good deals. I really thought it would be worse but i will able to pay rent and have a life to. I hope to be working in the city so i was told to take the train, and look for a place in huntington -bayshore or bablyon and my commute would be under an hour. Do you miss l.i.??? And do you like l.a.???? It has to be a culture shock in many ways. Oh and I plan on having a car to. Just to get around the island and just to get in the car and go for a drive.
I'm not from LI, I am formerly from Los Angeles. I actually live in Manhattan, but curious and Long Island because I've never really been around the area. I have a car so I'll probably go for a drive in the area one day to see what it looks like.

Do you live in LA?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Thanks.

Truthfully, the people in L.A. were very fake but I've heard soo much about spoiled Long Island kids and rude fake and materialistic Long Islanders so I was under the assumption LI would be like LA

Rude ...maybe as compared to LaLaland ...but fake never.

Truth be told we do have our fair share of "Growing up Gotti" wannabes....but if you wanna see spoiled and fake, go to the Irvine spectrum and check out the poser Blink 182 punk rock kids in their $600 designer denims and $500 sunglasses keeping it real.

Youll like LI....its like OC with some depth and street smarts.

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island