U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM

855 posts, read 699,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
When I lived in the Buffalo suburbs I had way more things to do than LI, so I'm sorry even upstate is more interesting than LI.

If I were this kid (and boy I wish I was 22 again!) I would leave LI tomorrow! Go to Florida though, California is too pricey and has similar restrictive laws as New York.

St. Augustine is a great little town, he might want to start there. Things are so cheap down there that he could live quite nicely on 40K a year mechanic job. The job market is tough down there, but he has a very in demand skill so he should have no problem getting a job.

I would avoid South Florida as you will run into Long Island like traffic and aggressive people.
This kid clearly stated he was bringing home 40k off the books. That is not a bad salary for a 20yr old. Good luck grossing 40k down there buddy. Also remember the longer you go off and enjoy your childhood the harder it will be to make something of yourself in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM

1,096 posts, read 855,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Nothing to do?? lol. No nightlife? good grief.

Go stay a month in the woods upstate and then come tell me there is nothing to do on LI.
In a hartbeat.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 AM

855 posts, read 699,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
In a hartbeat.
LI education at it's finest. Maybe if you stayed off the racetrack you would be able to afford to move away.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

1,096 posts, read 855,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
LI education at it's finest. Maybe if you stayed off the racetrack you would be able to afford to move away.
no thanks for your input though i will do it my way.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
This kid clearly stated he was bringing home 40k off the books. That is not a bad salary for a 20yr old. Good luck grossing 40k down there buddy. Also remember the longer you go off and enjoy your childhood the harder it will be to make something of yourself in the future.
Exactly ... if he's making $40K here he cannot expect the same in slave-wage Florida.

(Some) things are "so much cheaper" there for a REASON.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
When I lived in the Buffalo suburbs I had way more things to do than LI, so I'm sorry even upstate is more interesting than LI.

If I were this kid (and boy I wish I was 22 again!) I would leave LI tomorrow! Go to Florida though, California is too pricey and has similar restrictive laws as New York.

St. Augustine is a great little town, he might want to start there. Things are so cheap down there that he could live quite nicely on 40K a year mechanic job. The job market is tough down there, but he has a very in demand skill so he should have no problem getting a job.

I would avoid South Florida as you will run into Long Island like traffic and aggressive people.
At minimum wage, part-time, no benefits. Yay! Paradise.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I agree with you about this island having anything fun outside of what the rest of the herd considers like eating and shopping as fun, there is no fun unless you live by what the small group of closed minds and lies of society has chosen for you to do as fun....

You can do seasonal surfing here and campfires in designated areas, but NO dirt bikes or atv, 4x4 trail ride fun...

FL or CA may be right for you, watch CA, parts of CA are nazi like here in there ideological views and you won't have any trail use unless you go farther north in CA, or Oregon has both also, and riding on the beach and then the trails are connected to the beach. . . campfires, surf and trails.

FL is warmer and you'll get more time for surf than OR/nCA and FL have trails also but not the mountainous scenic type trails.

I wouldn't stay here, when i was your age i wanted out, my mistake (kinda like the other post with the girl wanting to come back, she doesn't see it yet though) I listened to the wife (they don't always have good ideas, and now she wishes she left and being next to family wasn't the best reason) and everything changed just like i told her it would, people aren't going to start voting smarter here or paying attention and everything will be lost.... in a few years L.I. will implode, it's happening already and in this state they will find new laws and ways to F you the people into paying to sustain their greed, or make the businesses sustain the greed like in NYC, and so many people are hoodwinked into believing hype and this is better and that and this. . . . . open your eyes, look, think, listen, watch. . decide. . . . GTF outta here

I want out, I am looking toward GA, and now the wife is on board, has been the past few years. This is what happens when you STAY longer than you should have...... you have children, you get further involved in work or like me start a business and those don't just pack into a suitcase and leave. . . Making moving and leaving a nightmare of issues that turns into a plan, then the economy screws the plan, and it gets pushed back...
All I can say is "don't count your chickens before they are hatched," especially when it comes to places like Georgia. Sometimes you don't know how good you've got it until it is gone. Will your wife be "on board" as a cashier at SqualorMart or Piggly Wiggly to help make ends meet in the DEPRESSED economy of the South? If you can get a house there for next to nothing, with block after block of houses "for sale," take heed, there is something wrong in that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island