U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM

191 posts, read 318,166 times

Advertisements

I dont even know where Blue Ridge is. Literally just drove down 112. Seriously, i cant say i know any of the areas on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 1,469,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I am gathering you did not drive down fairmont then . Since you seem to need a 3 bedroom mansion in old brookville good luck. You will need it.

PS you are a snob by what you described. Also which part of granny ave did youy drive down? Blue ridge is across the street from a cemetary and diagonally across from sachem high school.

I hope you do not plan on sending your kids to the sachem school district if you did not like blue ridge since they are pretty mmuch across the street from each other.
I don't think the OP is a snob. I think that she and her husband are hard workers who are expecting a middle class lifestyle, which is, unfortunately, very hard to find on Long Island these days.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 16,204,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
You know i happened to take the long way home today, from 347 down 112 after picking up DD from Stony Brook......... I saw Granny Ave finally- had to stand on the stop light there, Thanks to CITYDATA i had to make sure the doors were locked and the window rolled up. Then as i continued to drive down 112 through medford, i really DID NOT LIKE IT. I saw Fairfield Villas at medford is really close to granny ave, so that answered my question regarding the relatively cheaper rent there for a Fairfield property. I am not a snob, but medford looks not so great- neither does east patchogue ... and a few other areas.

112 is not the most attractive of roadways and the stretch from 25 down to 495 has some unkempt areas. The Social Services building's property isn't top notch, vacant lot adjacent to it is scrubby and sandy, the recycling compound, the trash along the road -- all make that section look run down.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM

237 posts, read 247,062 times
I had no idea Pat-Med was looked down upon that much. Is it considered worse than Riverhead and William Floyd? Are we talking like Brentwood bad?

I knew some people who went there 12-14 years ago and heard nothing bad (Although it should be said nothing great either).

Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 PM

417 posts, read 290,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The people in the muge mansions probably send their kids to private school, so they don't care about the school district. I cannot afford private school, and neither can the OP.
The people on the west side of fairmont and in the neighborhoods south of the high school send their kids to Sachem. Drive through in the morning and there are tons of kids waiting for the bus. Sachem is a diverse district and very solid academically, and many people in the area with higher incomes send their kids to public school.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM

417 posts, read 290,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
I had no idea Pat-Med was looked down upon that much. Is it considered worse than Riverhead and William Floyd? Are we talking like Brentwood bad?

I knew some people who went there 12-14 years ago and heard nothing bad (Although it should be said nothing great either).
No, it's not that bad. My niece is in 10th grade and my nephew is in 5th. They are both into sports. My nephew is in scouts and my niece takes a few AP classes. Kids who apply themselves get into good colleges.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,319,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
I dont even know where Blue Ridge is. Literally just drove down 112. Seriously, i cant say i know any of the areas on LI.
The entrance is on Granny road which can be accessed by travelling on route 112 or route 83. It's just west of 112 and east of 83. If on 112 the turn is by the cemetery. It's a nice complex with a clubhouse with indoor pool and billiards, golf, coffee shop, and an outdoor swimming pool. I also agree that patchogue/medford schools aren't the best though.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:41 AM

2,404 posts, read 1,469,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post

Pat-Med isn't as bad as Brentwood, and probably not as bad as Riverhead or William Floyd. But as someone who grew up in a much better school district, I feel that my kids would also deserve better.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM

191 posts, read 318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Pat-Med isn't as bad as Brentwood, and probably not as bad as Riverhead or William Floyd. But as someone who grew up in a much better school district, I feel that my kids would also deserve better.

This is how i feel, in addition DH and I have worked really hard getting our education and trying to get out of being "poor immigrants" so we want to send our kids to a better school. I dont see why this is wrong or "snobby" of me. I just want my kids to at least have the same or ideally better than I had. If they dont have better in the long run why did i even bother?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:47 PM

77 posts, read 65,831 times
I don't think people think it's wrong of you to want better for your children, we all want that. It's just that you seem to be putting other families down by making comments about particular towns/schools that you feel you have worked too hard to have to live in. Most people do the absolute best they can to provide for their families, and on Long Island just to be able to own your own home is something to be proud of. According to your standards our family should be living in Muttontown, as my husband grew up in Dix Hills so we would have to do better than that. It is totally unrealistic for us to be able to pay over $600k for a home, we were stretching it at $300k. When you factor in a downpayment, closing costs and taxes even hardworking educated people are unable to afford houses in most LI neighborhoods. I can not speak for everyone who lives in Longwood/Pat-Med, but I can tell you that my husband and I do not feel like we have let our children down because we couldn't buy them a house in Dix Hills. Honestly there are so many people missing out on great neighbors, communities and schools because they feel like they are too good to live in certain towns.
Entitlement causes many people to lose everything when they can't afford to keep up on the payments of the homes they "deserve".

Last edited by 7Heaven; 04-22-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island