Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Keep your eye on Indian Head Forest in Commack. There's a 3BR for $415 right now that's been on the market almost 4 months. You ARE going to have to up your budget to get something liveable, 3BR in what you deem an acceptable school district. That's just a fact of life. It's also a fact that most people on LI value education and just because an area is wealthy doesn't mean they are in that category. There are pockets of wealthy areas where the kids think they are taking over daddy's business and do very little in the way of college prep and are some of the biggest snotty loudmouths you'll ever meet. I also think you are overestimating how soon your kids will want their own rooms....my boys are 11 and my daughter is 8 and we have a 5 BR house but they sleep in the same BR every chance they get. Young kids like to be with their siblings when they go to bed at night and don't factor in gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM

198 posts, read 779,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keep your eye on Indian Head Forest in Commack. There's a 3BR for $415 right now that's been on the market almost 4 months. You ARE going to have to up your budget to get something liveable, 3BR in what you deem an acceptable school district. That's just a fact of life. It's also a fact that most people on LI value education and just because an area is wealthy doesn't mean they are in that category. There are pockets of wealthy areas where the kids think they are taking over daddy's business and do very little in the way of college prep and are some of the biggest snotty loudmouths you'll ever meet. I also think you are overestimating how soon your kids will want their own rooms....my boys are 11 and my daughter is 8 and we have a 5 BR house but they sleep in the same BR every chance they get. Young kids like to be with their siblings when they go to bed at night and don't factor in gender.

415 might as well be 900k to us. ..... atleast for now. DH is 33... just started in management- i have no idea what 5 years from now will bring , but if he alone breaks into the 150k+ income then maybe 415 could be a consideration, for now it is basically a dream. I dont even have a job.....

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Its still an affordable place to live. Whats wrong with medford? The people in the huge mansions next door to blueridge have no problems with the area.
The people in the muge mansions probably send their kids to private school, so they don't care about the school district. I cannot afford private school, and neither can the OP.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The people in the muge mansions probably send their kids to private school, so they don't care about the school district. I cannot afford private school, and neither can the OP.

You know i happened to take the long way home today, from 347 down 112 after picking up DD from Stony Brook......... I saw Granny Ave finally- had to stand on the stop light there, Thanks to CITYDATA i had to make sure the doors were locked and the window rolled up. Then as i continued to drive down 112 through medford, i really DID NOT LIKE IT. I saw Fairfield Villas at medford is really close to granny ave, so that answered my question regarding the relatively cheaper rent there for a Fairfield property. I am not a snob, but medford looks not so great- neither does east patchogue ... and a few other areas.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM

77 posts, read 164,601 times
Wow I take Granny Road and Mill Road all the time because we live in Yaphank and we do a lot of our shopping in Medford, I have never felt the urge to lock my doors and roll up my windows! We attend church at St Sylvester's in Medford and go out to eat in Patchogue, East Patchogue and Medford. We send our kids to Longwood and have friends who's kids attend Pat-Med and William Floyd. We are all educated professionals that own homes in these towns and some work in these towns as well. Some of us grew up here and some like my husband grew up in very upper middle class neighborhoods (Half Hollow Hills). We live here because we could afford a home within our means and we have no regrets.
I wish you the best of luck in your search for a home, since your expectations far outweigh your income it's not going to be easy.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
Wow I take Granny Road and Mill Road all the time because we live in Yaphank and we do a lot of our shopping in Medford, I have never felt the urge to lock my doors and roll up my windows! We attend church at St Sylvester's in Medford and go out to eat in Patchogue, East Patchogue and Medford. We send our kids to Longwood and have friends who's kids attend Pat-Med and William Floyd. We are all educated professionals that own homes in these towns and some work in these towns as well. Some of us grew up here and some like my husband grew up in very upper middle class neighborhoods (Half Hollow Hills). We live here because we could afford a home within our means and we have no regrets.
I wish you the best of luck in your search for a home, since your expectations far outweigh your income it's not going to be easy.

Its citydata...thats all i know of LI , from Citydata.

Granny Road and 112 is where Gordon heights starts or something to that effect--- thats the GHETTO(according to Citydata again, i dont really know)

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM

305 posts, read 610,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Every group of condos i find that is affordable, aka under 300k is just about ALWAYS for people 55+.

What is the reasoning behind this, why is there no "affordable" condos for families?

Also, i find a lot of affordable apartment complexes, again for 55+. I am actually surprised just by how many 55+ communities are on the island.

And why are so many of these 55+ communities in good school districts. Like, The KNOLLS in 3v are excellent example of this, they are within the price range and in great district, but 55+. Then there are some other condos on Stony Brook road, behind the Duane Read shopping center= 55+.

I find this frustrating.
Try Nob Hill in Ronkonkoma. Good Schools, nice area. Right on the border of Nesconset. Not to far from SB.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

305 posts, read 610,680 times
Quote:
I definitely understand your frustration! Long Island is definitely a difficult place to live a good, middle class life. Did you see my post about Nob Hill? Did you look into that? Since you seem to be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo, Nob Hill would be a good option for you. You say you value education; Nob Hill is in a good school district; better than the other school districts mentioned on this thread. And, the condos are affordable by Long Island standards. Good luck. I hope something works out for you.
I agree and right now the prices are very low. Won't stay that way for long though. It's a much better option than rent. You'll probably pay less on a mortgage in here then rent.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Try Nob Hill in Ronkonkoma. Good Schools, nice area. Right on the border of Nesconset. Not to far from SB.
I had suggested Nob Hill, but the OP said she is looking for a 3 bedroom condo, which Nob Hill doesn't have. I had misread and thought the OP wanted 2 bedroom.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I had suggested Nob Hill, but the OP said she is looking for a 3 bedroom condo, which Nob Hill doesn't have. I had misread and thought the OP wanted 2 bedroom.

I am considering renting there though while kids are small- seems good minus the electric stove ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island