U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM

191 posts, read 320,723 times

Advertisements

Every group of condos i find that is affordable, aka under 300k is just about ALWAYS for people 55+.

What is the reasoning behind this, why is there no "affordable" condos for families?

Also, i find a lot of affordable apartment complexes, again for 55+. I am actually surprised just by how many 55+ communities are on the island.

And why are so many of these 55+ communities in good school districts. Like, The KNOLLS in 3v are excellent example of this, they are within the price range and in great district, but 55+. Then there are some other condos on Stony Brook road, behind the Duane Read shopping center= 55+.

I find this frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,570,175 times
I hear ya. I felt the same when I was looking for a condo a couple of years ago. The only affordable condo I could find (under $265K) was a 1 bedroom in Farmingdale right next to the LIRR.

I'm not sure why there are so many condos for senior citizens but my guess is that most young families would rather buy a house with a yard than a condo or co-op. I didn't realize how crappy it is to live in an apartment with upstairs, downstairs and next door neighbors until I moved. Now that I am in a house, I wouldn't want to live in an apartment again. I love the space, the freedom of walking around loudly if I want to and showering at 3 am if I feel like it! if I could go back in time, I would have held off on buying my apartment. Dealing with condo/co-op boards and annual assessments really sucks!

I think another reason there are so many condos appealing to older people is because once you reach a certain age (60+) you want to downsize. My dad is tired of fixing leaky roofs or toilets, or putting out the garbage 2x/week. A condo or co-op is appealing for older people because it's smaller and less maintenance (duh). It's also nice to be in a community where other residents are the same age range as you.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,685,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I hear ya. I felt the same when I was looking for a condo a couple of years ago. The only affordable condo I could find (under $265K) was a 1 bedroom in Farmingdale right next to the LIRR.

I'm not sure why there are so many condos for senior citizens but my guess is that most young families would rather buy a house with a yard than a condo or co-op. I didn't realize how crappy it is to live in an apartment with upstairs, downstairs and next door neighbors until I moved. Now that I am in a house, I wouldn't want to live in an apartment again. I love the space, the freedom of walking around loudly if I want to and showering at 3 am if I feel like it! if I could go back in time, I would have held off on buying my apartment. Dealing with condo/co-op boards and annual assessments really sucks!

I think another reason there are so many condos appealing to older people is because once you reach a certain age (60+) you want to downsize. My dad is tired of fixing leaky roofs or toilets, or putting out the garbage 2x/week. A condo or co-op is appealing for older people because it's smaller and less maintenance (duh). It's also nice to be in a community where other residents are the same age range as you.
To each her own. Couldn't pay me enough to deal with a house, as I've mentioned elsewhere. Living in an apartment never stopped me from showering at 3:00 a.m. or walking around, either. What kind of yentas did you have for neighbors?

I think you're right about hitting a certain age and downsizing, though.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,570,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
To each her own. Couldn't pay me enough to deal with a house, as I've mentioned elsewhere. Living in an apartment never stopped me from showering at 3:00 a.m. or walking around, either. What kind of yentas did you have for neighbors?

I think you're right about hitting a certain age and downsizing, though.
The building I lived in was old with thin walls, and most of the residents were retired people or families that had adult kids who moved on, and they didn't want to deal with a house anymore. My downstairs neighbor at one point was complaining about hearing me walking around with noisy heels (this woman didn't go anywhere and just liked to complain about everything). My upstairs neighbor annoyed me because she would vacuum her carpets at 7am on Sunday mornings . What a way to wake up when I like sleeping late on weekends.. then my next door neighbor had some type of party where they cooked Indian food (curry) and the smell wafted straight into my bedroom. I HATED when things like that happened.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM

7,658 posts, read 11,004,941 times
Choose all that apply:

a)Seniors are generally not throwing keg parties, dealing drugs or riding by with the boomin' system.

b)Albeit of questionable skill, older people drive less.

c)Affordable housing equals brown people.

d)Because they pay taxes and don't burden districts with kids.

e)Because they're selling their crappy 40 year old hi ranch that they bought for 25k for top dollar and they can afford it.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM

2,966 posts, read 2,980,563 times
Put simply, supply and demand with one added ingredient $$$.
Baby boomers are the largest generation. That is who is selling off the homes and have the spendable $$$ to buy a place.
The word affordable is your key. It will cost the same $$$ to build for you or for a 55+, perhaps more for you if the place has several bedrooms for a family. Then there are the amenities, playground and things like that. Put that way it makes no sense for a builder to build "affordable".
It is all about the benjamins.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM

7,315 posts, read 7,752,792 times
It is often the only type of semi-affordable housing that municipalities will allow to be built, as under 55+affordable="bad element"=minorities to many people on LI.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,360,464 times
What price are you looking for and where specifically are you looking to live?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

634 posts, read 568,541 times
I'm nowhere near 55, but I would love to live in one of those communities NOW. No loud music or parties, no little kids, no teenage antics or drama, less criminal activity....I can't wait.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,568,053 times
paging autoracer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island