U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM

217 posts, read 284,821 times
A few thoughts...

I've had AT&T, T-mobile, and currently I have Sprint from work, and AT&T for the family.

For voice, everywhere AT&T works, Sprint does too. DATA on Sprint is spotty sometimes depending on where I am (3G only on the Island), but it works great at work, and at home, so that's not a big deal for me. Pandora works on Sprint almost everywhere except one dead spot where even voice cell coverage is gone.

The one big thing to watch out for is whether or not the PHONE has 850Mhz and 1900Mhz. The T-mobile service I had through a previous employer included a phone that was only 1900Mhz. It didn't work in some places, and was completely useless in Upstate NY. Got off the Thruway and it was off the air completely. I noticed that it had problems in certain areas on the Island too.

For regular voice stuff, if your phone is dual frequency, and if your plan includes free roaming, it really doesn't matter much what carrier you have, in my opinion. The PHONE is the important part, not so much the carrier. For data, well, I think Verizon is the way to go, but throttling/capping/overages are nonexistant on Sprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM

19 posts, read 34,692 times
Thanks. I had never actually considered Sprint before but have seen their ads for unlimited data/calling etc... I have an iPhone so that could be a good option. I don't care as much about spotty data service as much as voice coverage! Anyone else here able to vouge for Sprint?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM

140 posts, read 206,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo87 View Post
Thanks. I had never actually considered Sprint before but have seen their ads for unlimited data/calling etc... I have an iPhone so that could be a good option. I don't care as much about spotty data service as much as voice coverage! Anyone else here able to vouge for Sprint?
I just switched to them and I have no complaints. Also, Sprint gives many employee discounts so check into that. I get 19% off as a NYC employee and I know of other people in the private sector get it as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM

65 posts, read 107,319 times
I have sprint, my experience with them has been great. They also have the best prices when it comes to mobile data, and they are still unlimited.

I have a 5 person family plan with 1600 minutes and unlimited data on all 5 phones (2 are smart phones, 3 are not as smart - lol, they have the internet and GPS but aren't android/iphones).

It costs me about 205/month total.

From my experience, 3G data for streaming music works almost everywhere I have been. I used to communte from Hicksville to Jamaica, and Movie streaming is difficult (i use netflix on my phone).

Now that I commute from Lindenhurst to Jamaica, I can stream movies on my daily commute with very little issues (one or two spots where I have to wait 20 seconds for buffering - mostly near power utilities).

That being said, unless you are streaming movies constantly like I am, I would go with sprint.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,426,029 times
Just switched to T mobile from AT&T. So far, so good. Much cheaper in price.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 996,545 times
wait till cablevision gets thier cell phone service.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM

7 posts, read 9,004 times
I did some tests, Verizon is not good in Suffolk, but good in Nassau County, AT&T gets the better speeds in Suffolk, but has some issues in Nassau. Keep in mind, that's just my own tests, the amount of users per carrier per area has some affects on my tests...

Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
wait till cablevision gets thier cell phone service.
What, you'll have to reboot twice a day and it'll still suck?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,017,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanaManhasset View Post
I did some tests, Verizon is not good in Suffolk, but good in Nassau County, AT&T gets the better speeds in Suffolk, but has some issues in Nassau. Keep in mind, that's just my own tests, the amount of users per carrier per area has some affects on my tests...
Huh? I go from East Setauket to Wading River and all the towns between daily on nesconset highway, route 112, north country road, and 25A. Verizon service outshines all in this area and especially AT&T. Not sure where in suffolk you are travelling but in this area Verizon is MUCH better than AT&T. There is one spot by Savino's Hideaway where Sprint service drops off though.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 PM

234 posts, read 223,520 times
Sprint can't advertise it but their Everything plans (pretty much all of their plans) include free roaming on the Verizon Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island