Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 PM

40 posts, read 50,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
in this market, that'll work nearly anywhere save for the absolute most exclusive places
But which on the North Shore are best? I was very recently looking at some listings in Glen Cove. I always thought Glen Cove was nice, but I've learned otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,708 times
if you buy in glen cove, try to buy in the section that attend the north shore school district. i don't believe the horror stories about glen cove schools but ns schools are better on paper. there are also mansions in glen cove but the people that live in them presumably send their kids to private schools.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 PM

I know someone that works with a woman who bought in Glen cove about 10 years ago. She had he kids in the public schools but there was rampant gang activity. She was forced to pull her kids out and send them to private school. She said she and her husband took out a second mortgage to pay for the private school. What a horror story.

I doubted the story a bit, but what a shame that an area like Glen Cove is suffering like that.

can anyone substantiate that the schools in Glen Cove have gang activity?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 AM

342 posts, read 1,093,938 times
Do you have to commute? Do you need to be in Nassau, or can you move to Suffolk? In your price range in Suffolk: Northport, E. Setauket/Stonybrook and Mt. Sinai. Stay away from Port Jeff. They are going to have a rough few years b/c LIPA is pulling out of their tax base and their schools are going to have a tough time of it.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
I always liked Sayville. It has a pretty downtown, schools are decent and its by the water.

On the Northshore ; Wading River is very pretty and schools are excellent.

Anywhere on Long Island ; just be prepared to pay enormous taxes.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM

everyone on here must really love endless lirr rides

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Commuting to NYC and need Nassau County. I took a ride to Rockville Ctr today. It's really a beautiful area. The are a few homes available right around the cornet from South Side HS. This looks nice.

How is the Great Neck school district?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM

great neck south is better than great neck north but both good. dunno ur ethnic makeup but it's largely asian and persian

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Do you have to commute? Do you need to be in Nassau, or can you move to Suffolk? In your price range in Suffolk: Northport, E. Setauket/Stonybrook and Mt. Sinai. Stay away from Port Jeff. They are going to have a rough few years b/c LIPA is pulling out of their tax base and their schools are going to have a tough time of it.
Agreed

If youre looking for a little more upscale NE.
Id add Miller Place and Shoreham/Wading River(SWR schools) as well.

Crooks

Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,953,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDoe View Post
I know someone that works with a woman who bought in Glen cove about 10 years ago. She had he kids in the public schools but there was rampant gang activity. She was forced to pull her kids out and send them to private school. She said she and her husband took out a second mortgage to pay for the private school. What a horror story.

I doubted the story a bit, but what a shame that an area like Glen Cove is suffering like that.

can anyone substantiate that the schools in Glen Cove have gang activity?
Stay away from the Glen Cove and Oyster Bay School Districts on the North Shore of Nassau County. Both have their defenders but you are taking a chance. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong on the North Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island