Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 21,855 times

Advertisements

Whats going on guys and gals?

New to city data and soon to be new to Long Island. I've lived in the grea-.....decent state of New York my entire life, grew up in Rochester and Buffalo (Go Bills!) and am graduating from St. Bonaventure U in 2 weeks. I landed an exceptional summer intership in Greensport and am essentially a total stranger to the area. The internship is paid and rent is taken care of as I will be living in my bosses guesthouse for the summer. I know one friend who lives a half hour away so I'll often be riding solo. My questions are as follows:

-Girls. What is the summer scene for 18-24 year olds, women in particular? Wheres a good place to go meet new people?
-Entertainment. What are some highlights in terms of entertainment in the area?
-Transportation. Is it worth bringing my car?
- Anything other advice I should know from your prospective.

I really appreciate your time and expertise. As you can see my main concerns revolve around my social life for the summer. All thoughts are appreciated. I look forward to spending the summer on your beautiful island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
huntington or long beach or sea cliff. no other decent place for a young person on long island

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
The OP said GREENPORT...

Not sure about Greenport specifically, but the general area during the summer it is a pretty happening place. Hop the North Ferry ($2 for pedestrians I think) to Shelter Island, and hangout at Sunset Beach ($$$$) for a good time and rub arms with Hollywood celebrities.

Thing is, you have to catch the last ferry back to Greenport, so I'm not sure how much tail you will score with that...

I'd bring my car.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 21,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
The OP said GREENPORT...

Not sure about Greenport specifically, but the general area during the summer it is a pretty happening place. Hop the North Ferry ($2 for pedestrians I think) to Shelter Island, and hangout at Sunset Beach ($$$$) for a good time and rub arms with Hollywood celebrities.

Thing is, you have to catch the last ferry back to Greenport, so I'm not sure how much tail you will score with that...

I'd bring my car.
Great news. I'm interning at a continuous care retirement community so you can see why I was sceptical of my social options from the get-go. Sounds great Kayo ideally my "guesthouse" is as big of a draw as I hope it to be

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Yup. Lots of college age people come to the area to work in the hotels and restaurants over the summer. Definitely a lot of people your age on Shelter Island. I'm a summer resident, and my kids are around your age. They always make new friends every year, particularly with the Pridwin Hotel staff.

Quote:
The OP said GREENPORT...
Hop the North Ferry ($2 for pedestrians I think) to Shelter Island, and hangout at Sunset Beach ($$$$) for a good time and rub arms with Hollywood celebrities.
Celebrities??? Maybe D-list French TV reality stars, but I wouldn't count on running into Brad and Angelina here - or anyone with any sense of east end culture. Sunset is a joke and annoyance to locals. It used to be the Shelter Island Motel and Kraus Diner. The motel and diner were cheaply converted into this faux boutique hotel and restaurant that tries to appeal to those with a Hollywood idea of the Hamptons. It would be out of place in the Hamptons and it's completely out of place on sleepy Shelter Island. Dramatically overpaying for poor service, accommodations, a public beach, and dining does not equal glamour. It seems to mainly attract European tourists who don't know any better and Jersey Shore types.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
i lol'd

Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
Must have been a fluke the summer I worked on Shelter Island and saw Uma and Ashton. I must be the one attracting them.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,657 times
Quote:
Must have been a fluke the summer I worked on Shelter Island and saw Uma and Ashton. I must be the one attracting them.
Where were Ethan and Demi?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Quote:
Was this around 2004/2005? The place got a lot of attention the first couple summers it was open. I even ate there once and didn't return due the mediocre food and rude service at insanely laughable high prices. The hype has died down and it mainly caters to the type of tourists I described above. I will often take the back roads to my house to avoid spillover that happens in front of this place (which is a shame because Crescent Beach is a lovely drive).

Uma was also dating the owner (who also owns a home on SI) so I'm not surprised she was there. She was a fixture on the island for awhile.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM

257 posts, read 751,078 times
Ummm, vineyards? They are all over that area. A lot of them do tastings, and have events with live music at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island