U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 AM

146 posts, read 111,424 times

Advertisements

There has been some continuing illegal activity at the house across the street from mine. I would like to use a surveillance camera from my property to view/record the (drug) activity taking place outside of the residence in question.

Are there any laws against this? I would not think activity in plain sight could have an expectation of privacy.

If I could record the activity, license plate numbers etc., would the police be able to use this evidence or would they need to "see it with their own eyes?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,022,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
There has been some continuing illegal activity at the house across the street from mine. I would like to use a surveillance camera from my property to view/record the (drug) activity taking place outside of the residence in question.

Are there any laws against this? I would not think activity in plain sight could have an expectation of privacy.

If I could record the activity, license plate numbers etc., would the police be able to use this evidence or would they need to "see it with their own eyes?"
Frankie1 you need to make sure you take pics and video tape to protect your self. The issue with those home is the people they draw and what they do late at night when you're not awake.

If the police do not pay attention in the event something happens you have something to show the news and then the police will take notice. PROTECT YOURSELF AT ANY COST.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Not sure if it's legal, but a co-worker of mine has surveillance cameras around his home and the police actually used his videos in an accident investigation. The police were apparently grateful for the camera footage.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,399,946 times
How do you even know it's drugs? Is this even affecting you in the slightest, other than the POSSIBILITY of it being an illegal transaction?

To answer your question, if there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, you are OK to record.. meaning, you can video tape outside, not pointing any windows, not stalking people, but you cannot aim the camera inside the home.

But to better answer your question: unless you have concrete evidence (and even video recordings can be doctored these days), and this is directly hurting you, myob.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,261,257 times
Of course it's legal to record, but video only, not audio.
There is no privacy out in public.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,399,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Of course it's legal to record, but video only, not audio.
There is no privacy out in public.
NY is a one-party state so it is legal for audio too.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 PM

233 posts, read 348,638 times
Hey detective haven't you been trying to crack the case for your friend for 6 months now? Didn't you mention before that someone was arrested?

Are these different instances or are you neighborhood watch?

If you are neighborhood watch I would suggest you have a word, "we have had reports of suspicious activity, the community does not appreciate this, the proper authorities have been notified and the community will continue to monitor the situation closely, thank you and have a nice day"

IF you are not neighborhood watch then how bout keeping your mouth shut?

If you called the cops what if they are running an operation themselves? Maybe they are already on it and don't need you being pesky.

Seriously you do not have anything better to do with your time, on this beautiful island next to this beautiful city, but invest hundreds maybe thousands of dollars in surveillance equipment and precious time that you will never get back...to right the wrong of small time criminals?

Wow. IM glad you are not my dad thats for sure.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 21,346 times
I have JUST run into an article about what is legal and what's not in video surveillance while I was looking for a thread discussion of good software for computer-based surveillance /monitoring system.
Not sure if it's allowed to post links here but here you go [url=http://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/articles/legality/]Video surveillance laws and legality of surveillance with Xeoma[/url]
(dear moderators, it's a neutral one, no commerce&no need to delete it )

in case they don't, pm me. but probably things will be different by that time

Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,351,623 times
Your article answers nothing and just says to check your local laws. Thanks.

It's legal to videotape anything where people don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy. You can film someone on the street, or the exterior of a house, or evey activity visible in an open window, as long as the person who you are filming doesn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy. So no climbing a tree and shooting into a bathroom window, or trespassing, etc. Anything that you can see from your own house is fair game.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 AM

5 posts, read 21,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Your article answers nothing and just says to check your local laws. Thanks.
Well honestly I haven't actually READ into MY article but at first glance it puts it clearly right - and it is common for every state and every city - that you it's most probably prohibited to shoot in bathrooms, bedrooms and such. But even if it's allowed - seriously, you shouldn't.

Anyway I wouldn't rely on someone's opinion on a forum when it comes to legality and matters for which I can go to jail. So it really is the best option to go check law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island